Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

" SO CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME "

Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:21 pm

What happens if they get a YES Vote in Wales ?

What happens if they get a NO Vote in Wales ?

How much has it cost ?

Re: " SO CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME "

Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:34 pm

Forever Blue wrote:What happens if they get a YES Vote in Wales ?

How much has it cost ?

i dont know but maybe if they get the yes vote they can have more of a say for local business and reverse the red tape,for me as a publican its hard in wales and most of the welsh pm are behind geting rid of the beer tie that has fucked the pub industry up ,why should london make laws for us we have different needs to them sat in cosy houses in their big cities :ayatollah:

Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:58 pm

How much has it cost ?

Too much is the answer to the cost question. In my opinion the assembly is a waste of my taxes as are the Scottish/Irish versions. Wales does not need MPs and Assembly members to govern along with MEPs and various local councillors. This system costs millions of pounds.

What should happen is that MPs represent their constituancies and matters regarding Scotland/NI/Wales should be addressed by MPs. In other words the old system.

Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:01 pm

How much has it cost ?

If there is a yes vote then WAG will be able to pass laws in the 20 areas it has jurisdiction over now without having to have the approval of Westminster.

If there is a no vote then everything stays as it is now.

For the record, I voted no.

Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:03 pm

NJ73 wrote:

How much has it cost ?

If there is a yes vote then WAG will be able to pass laws in the 20 areas it has jurisdiction over now without having to have the approval of Westminster.

So did I, because the Welsh Assembly cost us £60 million a year. Why have mp's and am's, its either one or the other, just my opinion.

Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:06 pm

I didnt vote simply because I just dont understand it, im amazed not more has been posted through the door etc etc

Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:08 pm

2blue2handle wrote:I didnt vote simply because I just dont understand it, im amazed not more has been posted through the door etc etc

I only Voted because I always do a postal Vote, if it had not been sent to me, I would not have bothered.

Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:10 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:I didnt vote simply because I just dont understand it, im amazed not more has been posted through the door etc etc

I only Voted because I always do a postal Vote, if it had not been sent to me, I would not have bothered.

A postal vote? Was that sent to a Newport or Cardiff postcode?

Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:10 pm

The yes side didn't bother promoting it because firstly there is a lot of murky ground yet to be clarified in it. Secondly, they will keep trying ot push it through regardless of the result.

Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:13 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
NJ73 wrote:

How much has it cost ?

So did I, because the Welsh Assembly cost us £60 million a year. Why have mp's and am's, its either one or the other, just my opinion.

if we dont have a vote it will stay the same mps am and euro mps voting yes will hopefully get rid of the need for mps and open the way to self goverment just my opinion,i voted yes

Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:19 pm

I imagine its cost Millions. Like everything that happens in the world today, some leader of some part will get a bit more power and blind the people into thinking that they are voting on something that will benefit them. Wales is a stunning country made all the better because it has the best footbal club in it (Cardiff), but we could never run ourselves without UK help and I class myself as Welsh/British anyway.

Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:20 pm

Gareth (Wilts) wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

A postal vote? Was that sent to a Newport or Cardiff postcode?

Cardiff Postcode Thanks Gareth :lol: :ayatollah:

Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:22 pm

ooops been so busy i forgot to vote

Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:28 pm

Currently if the assembly want to create new laws in one of the 20 devolved areas that they are able to create laws in, they need to seek permission from Westminster first, even if the entire assembly have voted for it and want it passed. This is a long and costly process, and in most cases completely unnecessary.

A no vote means that everything stays as it is, the assembly can still vote to pass laws in those 20 devolved areas (agriculture, housing, tourism... etc) but they will continue to have to get Westminster's permission.

A yes vote means that the assembly no longer need to seek permission from Westminster if they wish to pass new laws in the areas in which they currently have power. This would speed up the law making process, and should make it a lot more efficient.

I've voted yes as I can't see a logical reason for voting no.

This sums it up quite nicely (although it may be a biased view!)

Over the last decade the Assembly has gradually grown in stature and confidence. But the system for making laws that affect Wales is slow and complicated.

Our Assembly needs permission from London before it can make laws in certain areas. That can take a long time.

It has taken three years for the Assembly to get powers transferred from Westminster to reform the organ donation system to give a lifeline to people waiting for a new kidney. Even though the policy is widely supported in Wales the Assembly is still waiting for permission to act.

Time and money is being wasted jumping through needless hoops.

A Yes vote will help take Wales forward by speeding up the system of decision making to allow Assembly Members to get on with the job.

If there’s a No vote Wales’ voice will be weakened.

A Yes vote will give Wales a stronger voice.

Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:33 pm

Plaid Cymru could not have put it better

Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:35 pm

The No vote (True Wales) declined to register as an official campaign with the Electoral Commission, and there can’t only be one official side so neither side got funding to run a proper campaign. This'll be why there wasn't anything put through letterboxes and so on.

Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:25 pm

A Yes vote will mean that the Assembly can pass legislation on the areas in which they already have devolved powers without then having to refer to Parliament for final approval. Therefore the new system will save time and money.

Whether you agree with the Assembly or not the Yes vote is a good thing as it will make things easier and cheaper. It's disappointing that the publicity did not make this message clear.

Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:21 pm

I don't understand why people who are voting no are saying they're voting no because they don't like the way the WAG are doing things... if you vote no, things won't change and they'll continue to do things the way you disagree with! :roll:

I voted yes because I want to see the law making procedure sped up and feel that it is a step closer to Wales getting more of a say on how it is run. I'm not one of these people with their head in the clouds who thinks we can survive as an independent nation as well as we do now, that's ridiculous. However, when we are effectively governed by a Tory leadership when Labour hold the vast majority of seats here... that doesn't make sense to me and I want to see us move a step closer to allowing the Welsh people to decide who governs them, not the English.

Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:27 pm

Voted NO as i dont trust the clowns in charge at the Assembly. Come to think of it i dont trust the clowns in charge at Westminster either. Can someone please explain to me why i bothered voting :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:31 pm

Surely it's better to have Welsh clowns than English clowns making the decisions? :D

Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:16 am

Vice-Chair Ali Yassine, 47, from Cardiff said:

"We have people in Wales who are more than capable of making decisions that are right for this country. A 'Yes' vote in the referendum will send a strong message to the rest of the world that Wales can stand on our own two feet and that we are confident as a nation in our own right. I truly believe that it's about having the powers we need to do the job properly – there is no question we can do the job, we just need the right tools."

Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:43 am

Midfield general wrote:
griffy wrote:Vice-Chair Ali Yassine, 47, from Cardiff said:

"We have people in Wales who are more than capable of making decisions that are right for this country. A 'Yes' vote in the referendum will send a strong message to the rest of the world that Wales can stand on our own two feet and that we are confident as a nation in our own right. I truly believe that it's about having the powers we need to do the job properly – there is no question we can do the job, we just need the right tools."

Which clearly has undertones of complete Independence...

... according to you.

Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:20 am

I voted yes because I believe in Welsh people deciding what is best for Wales. That can never be the case when decisions are made in another country 140 miles away and for the record I'm all in favour of withdrawing our MP's from Westminister in order to save costs.

Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:27 am

Both my wife and myself didnt bother voting ............... for the simple reason we just couldnt decide to go YES or NO , no other reason . Roll on this aft for the result ............. incidentally if it is a YES vote then where does that leave the MP's we voted for back in May and what purpose will they now play in our constituency if any ?? Im guessing nothing will change really which I suppose answers my question plus hints that I may have , with hindsight , voted NO !

Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:02 am

Zabier wrote:Surely it's better to have Welsh clowns than English clowns making the decisions? :D

EXACTLY, I'd rather a middle class welsh person who has at least some grounding in normal peoples world - compared to a silver spoon eton notting hill toffee nose mother fucker who has no knowledge and no interest in wales deciding on our future.

Voting NO will only delay everything that needs to be done to fix our little country and will cost the tax payer MORE in both the long and short term - bearing in mind just sending the legislation to London to check costs £2million annually.

If the NO vote wins, Wales will have just shot itself in the foot.

Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:18 am

I am far from a Welsh nationalist. I'll never want independance. But I voted yes. Personally, I have a lot to that the WAG for. If it wasn't for them I wouldn't have been able to go to university. Their funding as essential to my study. Also, I'm proud that the Welsh universities have said they won't be charging the large fees to Welsh students. They are looking after their own. Also, the free perscriptions was a positive thing growing up. My mother had no help off my dad raising me and my 2 siblings, so something as small as free perscriptions went a long way.

Our MPs will still decide foreign policy, British law etc. And Martyn, you should have voted, people died to give you the vote. I know I'm sounding condescending :lol: but I hate it when people don't vote :ayatollah:

Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:20 am

I believe a "No" vote means nothing will change as It was not a vote to get rid of the assembly just whether they would have the power to pass more laws without it being approved by Lords and the Commons.

Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:24 am

Hannah the ONLY reason I didnt vote was because I was split 50 / 50 about it ....... no other reason as I always vote in ALL other elections big or small .............. yes I said ELECTIONS before somebody pipes up with the jokes :lol:

Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:26 am

Vintage 63 wrote:Hannah the ONLY reason I didnt vote was because I was split 50 / 50 about it ....... no other reason as I always vote in ALL other elections big or small .............. yes I said ELECTIONS before somebody pipes up with the jokes :lol:

:lol: you know this MB too well Mart ;-)

Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:26 am

Vintage 63 wrote:incidentally if it is a YES vote then where does that leave the MP's we voted for back in May and what purpose will they now play in our constituency if any ??

It means they will have to spend less time pouring over legislation that has already been passed in Cardiff Bay as some sort of pseudo-second chamber (arguably the majority of them, those from England, are unelected by the people in Wales yet can still hold sway as to how we are run).

As for the purpose of welsh M.P.s, don't forget that the Welsh Assembly only has devolved powers in 20 subject areas so they still have a role to pay in voting on taxation, courts, prisons, social security, etc., which are only dealt with in London for England and Wales but directly affect us living in Wales.