Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Stephen Ireland on playing for Ireland and his time at Villa

Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:55 pm

One of the most open interviews I've read for a while
This could upset the Irish
http://www.whoateallthepies.tv/aston_vi ... bunny.html

I don’t give a damn for Ireland. Live in Cork? I’d rather shoot myself. I prefer Los Angeles

Re: Stephen Ireland on playing for Ireland and his time at Villa

Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:01 pm

Yet I was the best player in training. It was my team that won in every session...

I can't stand the bloke. There's a difference between saying how you feel and the manner in which you say it. He's an arrogant, self obsessed, whinging, spoilt brat.

In September 2007, Ireland was at the centre of controversy when, in the immediate aftermath of a Republic of Ireland international match and days before their crunch game against the Czechs, coach Steve Staunton informed him of a telephone call just received from his girlfriend reporting the death of his maternal grandmother. Staunton quickly consented to Ireland's compassionate leave on these grounds, a private jet was chartered for his return.

However the media quickly discovered that Ireland's grandmother was not dead, at which point Ireland announced it was his paternal grandmother who died but yet again, reporters discovered that Ireland's paternal grandmother was also still alive, and her relatives had threatened to sue one newspaper that reported her death. Ireland changed his story again, saying one of his grandfathers had divorced, and it was his second wife who had died. That was also quickly discovered to be untrue.[24]

Ireland eventually came out with the truth, admitting he had invented a reason to leave the Irish team in order to visit his girlfriend in Cork, who, he claimed, had had a miscarriage. "I decided at that stage that I must tell the truth and admit I had told lies," Ireland said. "I realise now it was a massive mistake to say my grandmothers had died and I deeply regret it."

Ok, wikipedia is a terrible source but this shows the man is a compulsive liar who will quite happily break morals to get his way. Maybe his wife did have a miscarriage? Or maybe when he realised the death excuses didn't work he decided to use an excuse that wouldn't be questioned or scrutinised?

It's a shame because when he puts the effort in he can be a quality player but his personality is seriously flawed and I wouldn't a player with his attitude anywhere near my club. Has way too high an opinion of himself.

Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:03 pm

I think it's a wind up. It's quoted from So Foot magazine in France, which doesn't exist

Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:03 pm

id let him play for cardif anyday...decent player :ayatollah:

Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:23 pm

Nottage Blue wrote:I think it's a wind up. It's quoted from So Foot magazine in France, which doesn't exist

Its not. This was all over the Irish media when it happened. His bad attitude stretches back as far as his teenage years, when he retired from u18s intl football after being put on the bench.

Horrible prick he is

Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:32 pm

tylerdurdenisabluebird wrote:
Nottage Blue wrote:I think it's a wind up. It's quoted from So Foot magazine in France, which doesn't exist

Its not. This was all over the Irish media when it happened. His bad attitude stretches back as far as his teenage years, when he retired from u18s intl football after being put on the bench.

Horrible prick he is

Funnily enough, I've never really liked him anyway. I guess it's the fact he lied about why he couldn't play for Ireland and the fact that he thought the people in Irish football and their supporters were as stupid as he appears to be. And putting 20" pink rims on a Range Rover Sport didn't help, either

Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:03 pm

Haters gonna hate, what else can you say?

Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:06 pm

Could he be the first ex Republic of Ireland player to turn out for Glasgow Rangers ?

If any Irishman is going to do it, my money would be on Stephen Ireland.

Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:23 pm

alfie sherwood wrote:Could he be the first ex Republic of Ireland player to turn out for Glasgow Rangers ?

If any Irishman is going to do it, my money would be on Stephen Ireland.

I would love a proper Irish player to play for them. Alan Kernaghan was going to sign for them before. Would love st ledger or someone