Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

TRAIN DISPUTE

Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:47 pm

Talks between ASLEF and Arriva Trains Wales (ATW) ended yesterday with no agreement, and the union has called for a further day of strike action on Saturday 12 March.

General Secretary Keith Norman says he is bitterly disappointed in the company. 'They came up with an improved offer but refused to allow the union to ballot on it. They insisted that they wanted an immediate - undemocratic - response or they would withdraw the revised offer. We asked to be allowed to put it to our members, but they refused. As a democratic organisation, we could not accept that we break our own rules or deny our members a voice.

;) ;) ;)

Re: TRAIN DISPUTE

Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:50 pm

The eggers will love that!

Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:54 pm

Gonna be havoc :lol:

Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:57 pm

No trains on the Sunday also, as there is an overtime ban in place.....
Sundays are run on overtime.........

Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:22 pm

the egg never suffers , they will sort it , DONT RUN TRAINS ON THE 12TH , REMEMBER SPURS AWAY NO TRAINS

Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:00 pm

Well with all the cuts which have taken place in the uk and further job losses planned how can a train driver expect a basic 35k increase to 39k. To me that's an absolute joke. Surely teachers, nurses, paramedics, fireman and the arm forces deserve more.

Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:14 pm

wchurchblue wrote:Well with all the cuts which have taken place in the uk and further job losses planned how can a train driver expect a basic 35k increase to 39k. To me that's an absolute joke. Surely teachers, nurses, paramedics, fireman and the arm forces deserve more.

what about Lorry drivers we deserve more

Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:12 am

Yep the list goes on.

Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:24 am

I beleive the big issue is not so much the pay, but that ATW want to establish contracted Sunday working, & all the technicalities that this would involve. This could later develope into Sunday's being just another day in the "working week".

Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:26 am

wchurchblue wrote:Well with all the cuts which have taken place in the uk and further job losses planned how can a train driver expect a basic 35k increase to 39k. To me that's an absolute joke. Surely teachers, nurses, paramedics, fireman and the arm forces deserve more.

I have to say I agree. Given the predicament everyone else is in the thought of someone striking over an increase in pay seems mind boggling. I'm not aware of the ins and outs but surely you should just be thankful you've actually got jobs right now when there are so many people being laid off?

Going on strike and making the general public's lives misery isn't going to bother the authorities too much and it's just going to lose you public support.

Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:28 am

RICK+CCFC wrote:I beleive the big issue is not so much the pay, but that ATW want to establish contracted Sunday working, & all the technicalities that this would involve. This could later develope into Sunday's being just another day in the "working week".

If you choose a career as a train driver, would you not expect to drive on weekends? Am I missing something?

Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:34 am

Uccello Azzurro wrote:
RICK+CCFC wrote:I beleive the big issue is not so much the pay, but that ATW want to establish contracted Sunday working, & all the technicalities that this would involve. This could later develope into Sunday's being just another day in the "working week".

If you choose a career as a train driver, would you not expect to drive on weekends? Am I missing something?

Saturdays yes, but Sundays have always been staffed on a voluntary basis [overtime]. ATW want to change this rule.

Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:37 am

Does this have anything to do with Arriva Trains struggling to field a side on Sundays in the Lazarou League if these Sunday working arrangements come in? :lol:

Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:40 am

RICK+CCFC wrote:
Uccello Azzurro wrote:

Saturdays yes, but Sundays have always been staffed on a voluntary basis [overtime]. ATW want to change this rule.

How do drivers see this change? Is it about a loss of valuable overtime income or a right to choose? Is this dispute about money? I am not informed on this dispute.

Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:41 am

Zabier wrote:Does this have anything to do with Arriva Trains struggling to field a side on Sundays in the Lazarou League if these Sunday working arrangements come in? :lol:

I couldn't possibly comment on that. :lol:

Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:31 pm

Uccello, its about all those things, & a few more. This situation has been brewing for years.

Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:00 pm

Britain has been brainwashed now into thinking that anyone going on strike is
a militant spoilt selfish b*stard.

Id love to earn the wages they earn but how dare the government call them
greedy bastards. Trains generally get from A to B on time. So they do their
jobs. The fact that over the years their union has succesfully negotiated a
decent wage for them is irrelevant.

These fellers earn about £800 a week. its a good wage nowadays, but only because
OTHER unions and workers in other industrys have been bum-fucked by successive
governments and are being paid a pittance.

Good luck to the train drivers I say.

Does anyone think these Bankers are so highly intelligent that they cannot be replaced?
Are they f**k. But Government protects these wankers saying 'we need them'

Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:51 pm

So the guy that drives the train from Queen Street to The Bay, back and forth all day, will be on 39k plus overtime?! Bloody joke, I'm sure there's people that would be happy just to have a job that will do it for half that!?! It can't cost too much to train a new driver?! Sack em all

Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:13 pm

come and do it then dickhead

Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:20 pm

what an idiot you make comments on things you know nothing about .we make a stand for a decent wage and get slagged for doing it.
thats whats wrong with this country.
none of you got the balls to do anything about it except moan.
come and do the job before you make a comment

Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:03 pm

DOCKER DAVIES wrote:what an idiot you make comments on things you know nothing about .we make a stand for a decent wage and get slagged for doing it.
thats whats wrong with this country.
none of you got the balls to do anything about it except moan.
come and do the job before you make a comment

jerry jerry lol