Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Potential replacements for Rambo

Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:49 pm

Checking through the Premiership squads, I feel there's plenty of midfielders we can bring in on loan. Obviously none of them will be as good as Rambo, but we desperately need a replacement for Rambo to strengthen our centre midfield area. I'm not saying all these are available on loan but I definitely think it's worth enquiring about some of them. Here is my list of potential targets who I think could be available on loan:

Barry Bannan - Aston Villa
Jordan Mutch - Birmingham
Tamir Cohen - Bolton
Sean Davis - Bolton
Josh McEachran - Chelsea
Bjorn Helge Riise - Fulham
Jonathan Greening - Fulham
Jay Spearing - Liverpool
Dan Gosling - Newcastle
Salif Diao - Stoke
Michael Tonge - Stoke
Danny Rose - Tottenham
Sandro - Tottenham
Jack Collison - West Ham
James McArthur - Wigan
David Jones - Wolves

Anyone think any of these would benefit our squad?

Re: Potential replacements for Rambo

Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:55 pm

Don't think we ll have anyone else,only have 5 loans in squad,we got 6 now.

Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:57 pm

If we don't replace Rambo, we won't get promoted in my opinion. At the moment we have a choice out of Oli, McPhail, Whittingham, Rae and Darcy Blake at a push, far too risky in my opinion.

Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:20 pm

Tonteg Bluebird wrote:If we don't replace Rambo, we won't get promoted in my opinion. At the moment we have a choice out of Oli, McPhail, Whittingham, Rae and Darcy Blake at a push, far too risky in my opinion.

its risky definetly but add burkey,JET and a reinvigorated jason koumas(why not !!) and it aint too bad.Gavin rae impressed me against stoke and mcphails had some excellent performances this season.Ask leeds utd how good we are in a 4-2-4(ish) formation

Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:39 pm

englishbluebird wrote:
Tonteg Bluebird wrote:If we don't replace Rambo, we won't get promoted in my opinion. At the moment we have a choice out of Oli, McPhail, Whittingham, Rae and Darcy Blake at a push, far too risky in my opinion.

its risky definetly but add burkey,JET and a reinvigorated jason koumas(why not !!) and it aint too bad.Gavin rae impressed me against stoke and mcphails had some excellent performances this season.Ask leeds utd how good we are in a 4-2-4(ish) formation

But JET, Burke and Koumas aren't centre midfielders, JET is a striker or winger, Burke is an out and out winger and Koumas is best suited to being a playmaker in a free role and whenever Jones plays him he's on the wing as it's too risky playing him in the centre where he has to do defensive work, track runners etc. We are really lacking proper centre midfielders, Whitts can do a job in the centre but he's better on the wing in my opinion, so it only leaves Oli, McPhail and Rae as out and out centre midfielders to choose from, not enough depth there in my opinion and it's a worry.

Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:19 pm

i think we will go with what we have, we have very good players in Olli, Whiits, JET, McPhail and Burke.
it will be good enough to get us promoted

keep the faith

Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:34 pm

I think you're all missing the point, we do have very good players, but we're very, very short with the number of central midfielders we have in our squad. We simply cannot afford to risk going from now until the end of the season with only 4 players (Oli, Whitts, McPhail and Rae) who are comfortable playing in centre midfield.

Oli is already injured and it looks like we'll have to play Whitts and McPhail in the middle tomorrow. Having Gavin Rae as the only alternative option shows how lightweight we are in the central midfield area. We cannot risk Koumas in the middle, we will be overrun in midfield if Koumas plays there. Like i've said, if we don't bring in a decent replacement for Rambo, we'll struggle. Centre midfield is the key area of the pitch, if we lose the centre midfield battle, we will lose the game!

Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:38 pm

I thought that Chris Eagles looked really good when he last played at CCS,id love to see him in a city shirt

Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:02 pm

the only of them id want, and is a realistic option, would be Barry Bannan

Collison is injured
Sandro would never happen plus hes defensive

otherwise id take those 2 too