Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

" Match Report Cardiff v Ipswich 06th March 2011 "

Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:23 am

There was a cheer in the Ninian pub as the big screen showed that Hull had taken the lead at Forest. There was a bigger cheer moments later when it became known that Scunthorpe had scored against the Jacks. Both games ended 1-0 in favour of the Cardiff and everyone was talking about being 2 points ahead in 2nd place. How naive some of our supporters are I felt and I was to be proved right sadly.

Cardiff fielded a strong side with the likes of Bellamy, Bothroyd, JET and Chopra. However putting Chopra on the wing, this did not work against the Jacks, and Bellamy in midfield just did not make it look like a strong side. From the kick off though it was the Cardiff that took hold of the game and all doubts about the line up was put on hold for a moment.

Peter Whittingham playing in midfield showed why he can be a supreme player as he became Cardiff general from the start. He controlled the game with his distribution and had Cardiff first chance. From 25 yards he sent a curling shot that was scrambled away by the Ipswich goalkeeper Fulop. Bellamy pounced on the rebound but Fulop managed to get a hand to it and with the help of his defence see the ball away for a corner. This was the start of a phenomenal night for the visiting keeper.

Cardiff dominated the early stages with the impressive JET causing havoc down the left wing. At most times he had 3 defenders around him but he managed to still beat them and send dangerous crosses into the visitor’s area. Cardiff failed to capitalise on this due to some desperate defending and excellent goalkeeping. However Cardiff did manage to get the ball into the net.

From a trade mark Peter Whittingham free kick he send a curled cross to the far post that was met by Keinan who headed home. Sadly he was ruled offside, only just by all accounts, and the goal was disallowed.

Ipswich only real chance came half way through the half when they were awarded a free kick from 25 yards out and directly in front of goal. James Bullard sent a curling shot straight towards the Cardiff debut goalkeeper Bywaters who should have dealt with it comfortable. However he fumbled but managed to re-gather the ball before an Ipswich foot got to it.
The nearest Cardiff came to scoring was a 25 yard free kick from Whittingham. In typical Whitts fashion he sent a fierce curling shot towards the goal that beat Fulop. Unfortunately for the home supporters the ball crashed against the underside of the crossbar and bounced away for safety to the relief of the visitors.
Cardiff continued to press but failed to break down the Ipswich defence. As the half came to an end Jamie Bullard the Ipswich loanee started to make an impression on the game and was given just a bit too much space in midfield. This was a worrying sign for the home team but it was not picked up on. The referee brought the half to an end with the score 0-0.

The second half started much the same as the first with Cardiff on the attack. A run down the wing by Bellamy found JET in space in the Ipswich area. His low powerful shot somehow went under Fulop diving body and bounced over the bar.

Cardiff then had a number of corners but then started to struggle to make an impact on the Ipswich goal. Bullard then started to take control in midfield and Ipswich opened up. Ipswich pressed forward a bit more and the disliked ex Jack player Jason Scotland got into the game.

From a move down the right Scotland managed to turn the Cardiff defence and was through on goal. However a diving tackle from Hudson stopped him in his tracks. The ball however fell into the line of another Ipswich forward who looked like he was going to score. Another diving tackle saved the day for the moment for the Cardiff.

However moments later the visitors took the lead. Cardiff struggled to clear their lines as the ball fell to Bullard 25 yards out. He sent a powerful angled shot across the Cardiff goal leaving Bywaters no chance.

Cardiff nearly got a quick equaliser as Bellamy had an effort palmed away by Fulop. The ball found its way to Chopra who swung widely and sent it over the bar. That became Cardiff last chance of the game.

After that Ipswich through Bullard in midfield controlled the game. They had no problem handling what Cardiff could throw at them. They looked like the team that could score on the break. Cardiff looked a beaten side and the late substitutions were just that, too late.

As the game approached the end Ipswich were awarded a free kick outside the Cardiff area. The kick took a deflection from the wall and the ball ended up in the net. To be honest it was what the visitors deserved on that second half performance.

The ground was practically empty has the referee blew for full time. A disappointing night in typical Cardiff fashion.
Summing up: Too many chances not being taken that is resulting in unnecessary pressure being put on the team. Pressure that they cannot handle and pressure that the manager has no answer for. Sums it up really.

Re: Match report Cardiff v Ipswich 06 March 2011

Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:31 am

Cracking report :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Re: Match report Cardiff v Ipswich 06 March 2011

Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:21 am

great report again :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Re: " Match report Cardiff v Ipswich 06 March 2011 "

Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:28 am

Ian, A VERY GOOD REPORT :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: and the SAD TRUTH IS Dave Jones has no answer once a team scores first.

In 6years and 115 Games Our team under Dave Jones when 1 nil down, We have come back to Win Just 9 Games.

Re: " Match Report Cardiff v Ipswich 06th March 2011 "

Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:20 pm

Another great report.
I thought we were exellent in the 1st half just as the report suggests.
My problem is:
Bothroyd is like a big baby sometimes by the way he goes down too easily and although he can be unplayable at times it was evident early on against Ipswich that he wasn't going to have a "good un".
I don't really see the point in putting Jon Parkin on the bench if he's not going to give him a fair chance to make an impact. Now i'm not saying Parkin is the answer to our problems and surely if Jay is playing well then Jay must start but when Jay is not doing the business then Big Jon should be on with at least 25 minutes left on the clock.
Jay just doesn't seem to be doing the right things at the moment, why on earth he doesn't work his way into the penalty area more often baffles me as there are so many more options once a player of his undoubted quality gets in that position. I.E.
He gets a shot off and he scores / misses / hits an opposing players hand or it's saved. (possibly parried by the keeper for a poacher)
We have all seen him beat a man with ease so to put a cross in when he's so close to the penalty area is just bottling it (My oppinion).
I don't mean to slag him off but so many people are losing patience with him right now, myslef included especially when HE himself comes out with the "NO MORE EXCUSES" comments that he made in the echo this week. and dare I say it....Although i've been a supporter of DJ from the beginning I am really starting to worry.
Saying that it really is a difficult one to comment on this week because we were probably worth a 3 nil lead at half time and had we got what we deserved at half time i'm certain it would have been enough to win the game, get the 3 points and i'd be sat here saying how DJ pulled off a master strke. Sadly that's not the case and real concerns about our season and more importantly future seasons are starting to creep in.
Jes

Re: " Match Report Cardiff v Ipswich 06th March 2011 "

Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:07 am

Cheers Ian, Look forward to your Palace Match Report :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: