Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

QPR COULD FACE POINT DEDUCTION BEFORE END OF SEASON

Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:51 pm

from the bbc, just came in ...

QPR face points deduction by FA before end of season

Queens Park Rangers could be docked points before the end of the season as the Football Association wants to avoid any doubt over who is promoted

at least they want it sorted out asap
:ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Re: QPR FACE POINT DEDUCTION BEFORE END OF SEASON

Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:59 pm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 421321.stm

Page last updated at 16:19 GMT, Thursday, 10 March 2011
E-mail this to a friend Printable version
QPR face points deduction by FA before end of season

By Matt Slater
BBC sports news reporter

Faurlin was owned by three Argentine agents when he joined QPR in 2009
Queens Park Rangers could be docked points before the end of the season as the Football Association wants to avoid any doubt over who is promoted.
QPR lead the Championship by seven points but are in trouble over the signing of Alejandro Faurlin in 2009.
On Wednesday the FA hit QPR with seven charges relating to the initial deal arising from the Argentine's ownership.
The FA is now waiting for the club to respond to the charges but will push for the earliest possible hearing.
In a statement QPR denied any wrongdoing.
"Having co-operated fully with the FA's investigation, QPR and [chairman] Gianni Paladini shall be denying all of the charges and requesting a formal hearing to determine them. We are confident there has been no deliberate wrongdoing," the club said.
It has emerged the FA has been investigating the case since September when QPR asked for permission to buy out a third party that owned Faurlin's economic rights.
The club was prompted to do this by the Football League's introduction of rules prohibiting the third-party ownership of players.
The league told QPR they would have to notify the FA of their plans and it then became apparent the club may have been in breach of FA regulations for over a year.
Those rules were brought in following the Carlos Tevez saga. That case dragged on for two years after Tevez helped West Ham beat relegation from the Premier League in 2007 despite being owned by a third party.
Sheffield United went down instead and lodged a legal challenge that ended with the Hammers owing the Premier League £5.5m for breaking the rules and the Blades £20m in compensation.
West Ham, however, avoided any points deduction that would have taken them down in Sheffield United's place.
With QPR seemingly on course for a return to the top flight after a 15-year absence, the FA is desperate to avoid any repeat of the Tevez affair.
QPR are expected to ask for more time to respond to the charges - they range from a failure to notify the FA of Faurlin's ownership to the use of an unauthorised agent in the transfer from Argentine club Instituto de Cordoba - and a brief extension is likely to be granted.
But the FA is acutely aware of the need for clarity as the Championship season comes to a boil and its financial regulation unit and legal team will seek a rapid resolution to the case.
It is expected the case will eventually be heard by a three-man panel, chaired by a QC with financial expertise.
The panel will have wide-ranging powers at its disposal, including the deduction of points and the imposition of heavy fines. Luton Town, for example, were deducted 10 points in 2008 for using unlicensed agents.
Third-party ownership of players is illegal in English football but is common in South America and it is believed Faurlin was effectively owned by three Argentine agents.
A talented midfielder, the 24-year-old has made 80 league appearances for QPR since former manager Jim Magilton made him the club's record signing in 2009, although there is some confusion over how much he actually cost and who received the reported £3.5m fee.
QPR have been in superb form this season, losing just four times in 36 games, and have a seven-point lead over their closest pursuers Swansea City and Norwich City.
Any points deduction would be hard on current manager Neil Warnock, although he will be well versed in the rules concerning third-party ownership as he was Sheffield United's manager when a Tevez-inspired West Ham beat the drop at his club's expense.

Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:00 pm

LutonBluebird wrote:http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/q/qpr/9421321.stm

Thats what i got it off :lol:

Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:05 pm

i guessed that LOL, just people will wanna see proof................

Will be very interesting, feel for the fans though but if it happens (pts deduction) will be helpful for all concerned.

And the Jacks will go top :o if its b4 saturday which it wont be

Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:07 pm

Very very very interesting...although i would emphasise 'could' as being the operative word there :ayatollah:

Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:13 pm

It will blast wide open the top of the table.....

2 places to fight for and not 1 realistically.......... :D :D

Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:16 pm

IM GOING TO EDIT THE THREAD TITLE!!! as nothing is definite. ;)

Re: QPR COULD FACE POINT DEDUCTION BEFORE END OF SEASON

Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:36 pm

Glammy put the scythe away mate ffs your like the grim reaper :lol:

If we only get a fine your gonna have a nervous breakdown geez!

Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:44 pm

Lets all wait and see.

I WANT CITY TO GAIN PROMOTION ON THEIR OWN MERRIT :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:49 pm

Stan-QPR wrote:Glammy put the scythe away mate ffs your like the grim reaper :lol:

If we only get a fine your gonna have a nervous breakdown geez!

:lol:

Sorry if you took offence stan. I just feel, probally like other teams around us, that if you do face a deduction that it would be that bit of luck that we needed.

i mean we have had some horrible, horrible luck the past 2 seasons. Maybe what you feel now is exactly what we have felt for the past 2/3 seasons.

Nothing against you stan, i mean its unfortunate to say the least. I would be devestated if that happened to us.

But if we end up going up from your expence. we'll take it. probs like the other teams around us.

I aint having a dig at you, but if you experienced 2 wembley defeats, missing out on the playoffs on goals scored in 3 seasons. Thats bad luck. This could be good luck from bad misfortune which is horrible but its business. we aint going to turn it down

Anyway, im not wishing it on you, innocent until proven guilty.

But if you was in our shoes, deep,deep down i bet you would feel the same, expecially if you have had our luck

Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:54 pm

Forever Blue wrote:Lets all wait and see.

I WANT CITY TO GAIN PROMOTION ON THEIR OWN MERRIT :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Annis, don't you think if Cardiff for argument sake finished in 2nd behind QPR or even 3rd behind Swansea for this instance, would still get promoted on merit even if QPR were deducted 10pts? Cardiff still had to play well, still had to score the goals and still had to win the games to be in the top 4 anyway!!! Who can deny them the merit of. Promotion. It's not as if they would be defaulting a mid table team up to the premiership.... At the end of the day we've pretty much been in the top 3 or 4 all season so who can say we wouldn't have earned promotion? Besides, if QPR can't follow the fa's regulations, what the f**k had that got to do with us.... All we can do Is get on with it....

Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:56 pm

Mate hand on heart I didn't & wouldn't take offence.

Its a hot topic all over the gaff at the minute so of course their will be loads of threads. You are just doing what many others are doing including myself.

Mate you lot have some horrid luck so are due a bit, I just hope its not at our expense.

Again mate no offence taken at all. :ayatollah:

Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:57 pm

From Facebook

Anthony Burns, Tom Ccfc McMahon, Steven G Webb and 4 others like this.

Dave Castle
Obviously I know you lot don't give a shit, but something like this was always on the cards with the f*cking crooks we've got in charge of our club. We always knew from day one we hadn't pain 3.5 mill for Faurlin. Utterly deflated over the whole sorry saga!
6 minutes ago · Unlike · 1 person

Anthony Chiplin I read tha earlier mention of poss 10 points
6 minutes ago · Like
Andy Davies Get Risdale in !!
5 minutes ago · Like
Dave Castle Cheers Andy ;-)
5 minutes ago · Like
Paul Foy fek qpr deduct points if it were us no one would give a shit so let em get deducted helps us out hopefully
5 minutes ago · Like
Matty Smith nah leave QPR alone.From a Shrewsbury Town Fan
4 minutes ago · Like

Dave Castle I like you Matty :-)
2 minutes ago · Like

Annis Abraham Jnr
Dave, I do care as why is it the fans always suffer, the board should be fined.
Lets all wait and see.
I WANT CITY TO GAIN PROMOTION ON THEIR OWN MERRIT
about a minute ago · Like · 1 person

Matty Smith Well your club deserves a bit of luck dave.f**k the FA!!
about a minute ago · Unlike · 1 person

Peter Nescafe Thompson QPRcan get deducted 15 points? still wont effect 6th place Cardiff. We just aint good enough sorry to say. might not even make play-offs?
about a minute ago · Like

Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:01 pm

Stan - you're a top bloke, supporting a great team along with many good fans and I feel sorry for the lot of you, but with all due respect, the rules are there to follow and if QPR FC has not stuck with the guidelines and tried to hoodwink the FA then the club will hopefully get what it deserves.... I don't wish that upon any club, but that idiot running your gaf needs to now learn the hard way! Sorry dude.

Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:03 pm

Annis, answer my last question ;)

Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:08 pm

Merlin wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:Lets all wait and see.

Annis, don't you think if Cardiff for argument sake finished in 2nd behind QPR or even 3rd behind Swansea for this instance, would still get promoted on merit even if QPR were deducted 10pts? Cardiff still had to play well, still had to score the goals and still had to win the games to be in the top 4 anyway!!! Who can deny them the merit of. Promotion. It's not as if they would be defaulting a mid table team up to the premiership.... At the end of the day we've pretty much been in the top 3 or 4 all season so who can say we wouldn't have earned promotion? Besides, if QPR can't follow the fa's regulations, what the f**k had that got to do with us.... All we can do Is get on with it....

Craig

I want City to get promoted through earning their own points and Def not taking someone else's place because they had points taken off them.
I also feel that Football fans always suffer through corrupt Owners and Agents and were always left being hurt, they should personally have heavy fines.

Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:10 pm

We could be left in a situation where we get promotion not through our great performaces, but through the ineligibility of a player for QPR who I believe they would have done as well without.

Our manager would more than likely draw plaudits from certain elements, thus papering over the cracks that a fair few of us can see. Which in the long term might not be the best for our club.
Last edited by tylerdurdenisabluebird on Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:11 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
Craig

I want City to get promoted through earning their own points and Def not taking someone else's place because they had points taken off them.
I also feel that Football fans always suffer through corrupt Owners and Agents and were always left being hurt, they should personally have heavy fines.

What about the fans of the clubs who haven't cheated and then miss out on promotion to a club that has cheated?

Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:11 pm

NJ73 wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:
Craig

What about the fans of the clubs who haven't cheated and then miss out on promotion to a club that has cheated?

Actually as you are a swan. how do you and your fans feel about this news coming out of qpr??

Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:13 pm

tylerdurdenisabluebird wrote:We could be left in a situation where we get promotion not through our great performaces, but through the ineligibility of a player for QPR who I believe they would have done as well without.

Our manager would more than likely draw plaudits from certain elements, thus papering over the cracks that a fair few of us can see. Which in the long term might not be the best for our club.

Adam,

I would get No joy out of that whats so ever.

WE HAVE THE BEST TEAM/SQUAD IN THIS DIVISION, SO LETS WIN IT ON THE PITCH and OUR TEAM SHOULD START MAKING US PROUD OF THEM :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:14 pm

Merlin wrote:Stan - you're a top bloke, supporting a great team along with many good fans and I feel sorry for the lot of you, but with all due respect, the rules are there to follow and if QPR FC has not stuck with the guidelines and tried to hoodwink the FA then the club will hopefully get what it deserves.... I don't wish that upon any club, but that idiot running your gaf needs to now learn the hard way! Sorry dude.

Totally agree pal.

As I said in an earlier thread it grates on us Rangers fans the fact no one wants the greasy eye tie at the club in the first place.

If they've done wrong the PEOPLE responsible should be jailed in my book not the club & fans who go skint to watch them.

Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:16 pm

glammy74 wrote:
Actually as you are a swan. how do you and your fans feel about this news coming out of qpr??

If they've broken the rules then they're fair game for a points deduction as far as I'm concerned. The rules are there for a reason and everyone else has to abide by them.

If we were to end up being promoted as a result of finishing above them due to a points deduction it wouldn't bother me in the slightest.

I just hope any decision and subsequent appeal is delay with asap. When we got promotion from League One, there was an ongoing saga with Leeds appealing their points deduction which meant we weren't allowed to be presented with the trophy at our last home game. It left a sour taste in the mouth.

Edit: I should add that I would have sympathy with the QPR fans if that were to happen.

Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:23 pm

NJ73 wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:
Craig

Like I have said it seem its the fans who always get hurt, punish the people personally who actually break the rules.

Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:28 pm

NJ73 wrote:
glammy74 wrote:

If they've broken the rules then they're fair game for a points deduction as far as I'm concerned. The rules are there for a reason and everyone else has to abide by them.

If we were to end up being promoted as a result of finishing above them due to a points deduction it wouldn't bother me in the slightest.

I just hope any decision and subsequent appeal is delay with asap. When we got promotion from League One, there was an ongoing saga with Leeds appealing their points deduction which meant we weren't allowed to be presented with the trophy at our last home game. It left a sour taste in the mouth.

Edit: I should add that I would have sympathy with the QPR fans if that were to happen.

Interesting.

How would you feel if you went up anyway, and WE went up due to Qprs mistake ? :lol:

Personally I expect it to come to nothing.

I also worry that we might have a skeleton in the closet when you look at the things tat have gone on at this club in the last few years.

Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:08 pm

what i think will seal qprs fate is the prospect of leagal action from clubs who could miss out on promotion by a couple of points, and legal action from clubs who get relagated from which qpr have taken 6 points off them .this will probably force the leagues hand into a large point deduction to avoid all the legall action which could take place. palldini has got form for bending the rules.

Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:14 pm

I think the only fair and reasonable outcome if it is deemed that Alejandro Faurlin is an ineligible player is for every game he has played in this season, the opposing team be awarded a 3-0 win.

Of course the fact that this would put us clear at the top of the league has no bearing on my opinion :mrgreen:

Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:23 pm

i think you are spot on . i should imagine that most clubs ceo's are already in dialogue with thier breifs already to try and steal a march over any possible action the fa might take. one hell of a messy situation. love to now what warnock is thinking now the table has turned on him. wonder if he is sticking to his previous comments on such a matter?

Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:12 am

Warnock has obviously stayed quiet so far for a reason! :lol:

Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:31 am

Merlin wrote:Warnock has obviously stayed quiet so far for a reason! :lol:

He wasn't so quiet 3 years ago though, when he was manager of Sheffield United during the Tevez/Mascherano fiasco! :D :ayatollah:

Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:23 am

NJ73 wrote:I think the only fair and reasonable outcome if it is deemed that Alejandro Faurlin is an ineligible player is for every game he has played in this season, the opposing team be awarded a 3-0 win

QPR have NOT been charged with fielding an ineligible player.

Also Warnock has not stayed quiet, he has been in the papers down here 2 days running saying the legal people at QPR are fully confident we will not be deducted points.