Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Best Cardiff Restaurants

Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:15 pm

can someone recommend a very good city centre restaurant, no expense spared type of affair. Broad menu. Patagonia looks OK ...anyone been ?

cheers

Re: Best Cardiff Restaurants

Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:18 pm

The Park Plaza hotel restaurant is very nice! Well worth a look! Patagonia is nice but not really in the city centre

Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:43 pm

Hooters ;)

Madeira is good as is Woods down the bay and Jamie Olivers place is supposed to be nice, not eaten there myself though

Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:56 pm

I would say Madeira mate very reasonably priced too. :ayatollah:

Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:01 pm

Best in cardiff is Bullys in pontcanna, after that Woods down the bay.

Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:06 pm

The Brasserie is pretty good or Champers.

Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:34 pm

You could try the new Crown Social in the Park Hotel. Its run by the michelin starred restaurant 'The Crown at Whitebrook' which is excellent. Tides in St.Davids hotel is very nice and you could look at Laguna in the Park Plaza.

Crown Social: http://crownsocial.co.uk/

Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:34 pm

Has to be Cosmos down the bay :P

Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:55 pm

id say maderia is my fav but postiana italion is very good aswell :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:30 pm

NIBluebird wrote:Has to be Cosmos down the bay :P

you cant beat a cosmos!!

i personally like demiros down the bay!!

Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:16 pm

madiera, never had a bad meal there mate and ive tried most things on the menu and they are all superb :ayatollah:

Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:20 pm

Le Gallois, proper expensive and flash but bang on if you gotta impress! ;)

Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:22 pm

Madiera is nice, been twice [last year]. Very busy on a Sat night, but thats a good signe to me. Would recommend though, thinking of having a birthday meal there myself. They love football to!

Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:24 pm

Madeira is excellent, Bullys and Stefanos in pontcanna, also love Seren in Canton (turkish/med).

Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:27 pm

La Garcon down the Bay is very nice and would tick the "no expense spared" box. Mimosa (again down the Bay) is less formal and they've got a good menu.

Town is largely chain restaurants - though I agree with the Madeira suggestion and La Boheme is also good.

Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:45 pm

maderia for me

Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:50 pm

griff105 wrote:Le Gallois, proper expensive and flash but bang on if you gotta impress! ;)

It was cardiff's best restaurant by a long way, unfortunatley its now closed down. Gutted

Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:10 pm

THE DON wrote:You could try the new Crown Social in the Park Hotel. Its run by the michelin starred restaurant 'The Crown at Whitebrook' which is excellent. Tides in St.Davids hotel is very nice and you could look at Laguna in the Park Plaza.

Crown Social: http://crownsocial.co.uk/

I wasnt aware of this one, will have to check it out. I went to the crown at whitebrook a few months ago, a very enjoyable experience

Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:34 pm

No one has mentioned the old post office, ok it's not city centre (St Fagans) but it is truly excellent.

Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:28 pm

Le Gallois, Madeira and the one in Park Hotel. Can't go wrong.

Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:46 pm

another good place although slightly out of town miller and carter

Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:58 am

Try Jamie's Italian in the hayes great atmosphere and very reasonable cost. The food was top class

Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:42 am

I've heard varying reports of Jamie Oliver's restaurant. some say they loved it, others say it's overrated. I always think you should go somewhere yourself first before judging though. I always like Prezzo on St Mary's Street. Not a money no bject place, granted, but it's my personal favourite

Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:49 am

THE DON wrote:
griff105 wrote:Le Gallois, proper expensive and flash but bang on if you gotta impress! ;)

It was cardiff's best restaurant by a long way, unfortunatley its now closed down. Gutted

blimey, when did that happen? i was in there at vhristmas

Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:29 pm

Right...cheers lads

it's a 3 horse race

Madeira
Crown Social
Jamies place

It's a mid week meal (Thur).....would like it to be reasonably busy...must have a 1st class wine menu...

does this rule any of the above out ?

cheers again

Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:35 pm

Portos is good , Porto Due and La Tasca in Brewery quarter , Valentinos :D

Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:29 pm

TH63 wrote:
THE DON wrote:

blimey, when did that happen? i was in there at vhristmas

Shut down about a month ago, I've heard the two owners fell out. Think it is re-opening in Penarth. The current site is now called Oscars of Cardiff and I believe it belongs to a restaurant of the same name in Cowbridge. Someone told me it is going to be a bar/restaurant with plans do food similar to the Conway which won't be a bad thing if they manage it (in my opinion).

Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:35 pm

does Gio's still exist? was next to Spillers Records...