Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Japan' Nuclear disaster Nuke's View

Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:33 pm

Someone asked Yesterday what my view was so this is my opinion of what happened. Firstly this disaster has been compared to Chernobyl but in my opinion it is no where as bad as that. What happened at Chernobyl was a catalogue of incompetent actions and design which allowed the chain reaction (When a Neutron splits an Atom and goes on to split more atoms which releases heat) to go out of control, and the Operators there was unable to stop this chain reaction which caused a Meltdown (When the fuel melts) and the pressure it caused was so high an explosion blew the top of the reactor off causing the fuel to be blown straight into the atmosphere. The Radiation was so bad within hours the fallout was picked up at my Power Station at which i work. The levels monitored by one of my colleagues who's job is to constantly monitor radiation levels around site went through the roof.

What happened In Japan ? but before i start i have to admit my knowledge on Water cooled Reactors is very limited but as we all know these Reactors was built on one of the worst fault lines on this planet. These Reactors were either due to be taken off line for the last time in a few weeks time and some were granted extra generating life, are nearly 40 years old. It is questionable weather these reactors should of been built on a fault line like that but they designed them with all this in mind and when the Earthquake hit last Friday with a magnitude of over 9.2 that is the biggest quake in living memory.

When the earthquake hit the Reactors shut down ( Control rods that absorbs the neutrons that completely stop the chain reaction) was lowered into the reactor , in fact they drop and can shut down a nuclear Reactor in seconds,this was done in case the reactor was damaged and the rods had become warped and unable to be lowered into the reactor.
Once the reactor was shut down the Circulators (Which circulate the water around the core as a coolant) carry on and keeps the Reactor cool. But the Earthquake cut the Electricity supply which in turn cut the supply to the Circulators. That was anticipated and when that happens the Diesel emergency Generators start up and continue to run the Circulators .

Then the Tsunami hit, from what i am led to believe the Diesel generators survived this but it either destroyed the Diesel tanks supplying the generators, or water had got into the tanks and rendering them useless. As the Circulators are now not working the reactor starts to heat up and this is where it differs from Chernobyl. Chernobyl tor heated up due to operators being unable to stop the chain reaction but in Japan they was unable to cool the reactors due to not being able to Circulate water around the reactors. So i a desperate attempt they decided to pump in sea water, and i must admit i knew that was a desperate attempt as i knew this could make it worse. WHY ? Because for 1 they could not circulate the water and as the water was being pumped in it was turning the water into steam creating more heat and turning the steam into Hydrogen, This is what they was trying to vent off. It is very hazy regarding the explosions but apparently it wasn't the core. The steam produced in normal conditions then goes to the turbines which drives them perhaps this was what exploded i don't know.

So far the Radiation leaked is being monitored as in Millisieverts (Msv) That is high but not that high, but if they start talking tens of Severts (SVs) then you are talking Chernobyl amounts. As a Technician i can comprehend what is going on and also as a Monitor i can understand the doses involved and believe me this is a very serious situation but not in the same league as Chernobyl.

In my opinion this should not stop the new builds over here as we will never face the situation Japan has faced and the new reactors are new technology with far better safety features. We need them to give us the Electricity supply we need. The station at which i work is very safe. If my own Son wanted tom work there i would be happy as Larry. Hope i have explained this article OK
Nukes

Re: Japan' Nuclear disaster Nuke's View

Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:42 pm

Bloody hell Steve have you just finished that book I gave you on Nuclear Physics :ugeek: :ugeek: :ugeek:

Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:55 pm

That made very little sense to me, I could have summed it up in 3 words:

Japan is fucked.

Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:18 pm

Very interestin - cheers mate

Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:25 pm

CardiffCityCulture wrote:Bloody hell Steve have you just finished that book I gave you on Nuclear Physics :ugeek: :ugeek: :ugeek:

I wrote it pete :geek: :geek: :geek: :geek: :lol: :lol:

Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:26 pm

Nuclearblue wrote:Someone asked Yesterday what my view was so this is my opinion of what happened. Firstly this disaster has been compared to Chernobyl but in my opinion it is no where as bad as that. What happened at Chernobyl was a catalogue of incompetent actions and design which allowed the chain reaction (When a Neutron splits an Atom and goes on to split more atoms which releases heat) to go out of control, and the Operators there was unable to stop this chain reaction which caused a Meltdown (When the fuel melts) and the pressure it caused was so high an explosion blew the top of the reactor off causing the fuel to be blown straight into the atmosphere. The Radiation was so bad within hours the fallout was picked up at my Power Station at which i work. The levels monitored by one of my colleagues who's job is to constantly monitor radiation levels around site went through the roof.

What happened In Japan ? but before i start i have to admit my knowledge on Water cooled Reactors is very limited but as we all know these Reactors was built on one of the worst fault lines on this planet. These Reactors were either due to be taken off line for the last time in a few weeks time and some were granted extra generating life, are nearly 40 years old. It is questionable weather these reactors should of been built on a fault line like that but they designed them with all this in mind and when the Earthquake hit last Friday with a magnitude of over 9.2 that is the biggest quake in living memory.

When the earthquake hit the Reactors shut down ( Control rods that absorbs the neutrons that completely stop the chain reaction) was lowered into the reactor , in fact they drop and can shut down a nuclear Reactor in seconds,this was done in case the reactor was damaged and the rods had become warped and unable to be lowered into the reactor.
Once the reactor was shut down the Circulators (Which circulate the water around the core as a coolant) carry on and keeps the Reactor cool. But the Earthquake cut the Electricity supply which in turn cut the supply to the Circulators. That was anticipated and when that happens the Diesel emergency Generators start up and continue to run the Circulators .

Then the Tsunami hit, from what i am led to believe the Diesel generators survived this but it either destroyed the Diesel tanks supplying the generators, or water had got into the tanks and rendering them useless. As the Circulators are now not working the reactor starts to heat up and this is where it differs from Chernobyl. Chernobyl tor heated up due to operators being unable to stop the chain reaction but in Japan they was unable to cool the reactors due to not being able to Circulate water around the reactors. So i a desperate attempt they decided to pump in sea water, and i must admit i knew that was a desperate attempt as i knew this could make it worse. WHY ? Because for 1 they could not circulate the water and as the water was being pumped in it was turning the water into steam creating more heat and turning the steam into Hydrogen, This is what they was trying to vent off. It is very hazy regarding the explosions but apparently it wasn't the core. The steam produced in normal conditions then goes to the turbines which drives them perhaps this was what exploded i don't know.

So far the Radiation leaked is being monitored as in Millisieverts (Msv) That is high but not that high, but if they start talking tens of Severts (SVs) then you are talking Chernobyl amounts. As a Technician i can comprehend what is going on and also as a Monitor i can understand the doses involved and believe me this is a very serious situation but not in the same league as Chernobyl.

In my opinion this should not stop the new builds over here as we will never face the situation Japan has faced and the new reactors are new technology with far better safety features. We need them to give us the Electricity supply we need. The station at which i work is very safe. If my own Son wanted tom work there i would be happy as Larry. Hope i have explained this article OK
Nukes

Cheers Nukes , I asked the question , so your saying this is not as severe as Chernobyl. Thanks for the information. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:31 pm

Correct blue nile but i am only going on information given to me. If the Japs aint telling us somethings then it could be different. But as it stands no where near. Chernobyl was as bad as it could of got

Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:01 pm

I think I am correct in thinking that a Nuclear Plant in Sweden was the first to alert everyone about the Chernobyl disaster as the Ukrainian government kept it quiet and didn't want people to know what had happened.

Looking at reports it seems like the cores at Fukushima are still intact and it's nowhere as serious as Chernobyl yet, however who knows what may happen as no doubt Japan will be hit with large aftershocks and this might cause more damage to the vulnerable buildings.

Hope everything turns out alright as the last thing Japan needs is a nuclear disaster.

Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:17 pm

Nuclearblue wrote:Someone asked Yesterday what my view was so this is my opinion of what happened. Firstly this disaster has been compared to Chernobyl but in my opinion it is no where as bad as that. What happened at Chernobyl was a catalogue of incompetent actions and design which allowed the chain reaction (When a Neutron splits an Atom and goes on to split more atoms which releases heat) to go out of control, and the Operators there was unable to stop this chain reaction which caused a Meltdown (When the fuel melts) and the pressure it caused was so high an explosion blew the top of the reactor off causing the fuel to be blown straight into the atmosphere. The Radiation was so bad within hours the fallout was picked up at my Power Station at which i work. The levels monitored by one of my colleagues who's job is to constantly monitor radiation levels around site went through the roof.

Nukes

Very informative.The explosions were almost certainly down to the Hydrogen gas being produced and an example is that natural gas has an explosive range of between 5 to 15 percent in air yet hydrogen has a huge explosive range of 4 to 74 percent in air. Also the molecule size of Hydrogen is very small being H2 so this gas will easily permiate through soil and reach the surface without too much effort.Thanks again for taking the time to explain.

Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:18 pm

Nukes

Very informative.The explosions were almost certainly down to the Hydrogen gas being produced and an example is that natural gas has an explosive range of between 5 to 15 percent in air yet hydrogen has a huge explosive range of 4 to 74 percent in air. Also the molecule size of Hydrogen is very small being H2 so this gas will easily permiate through soil and reach the surface without too much effort.Thanks again for taking the time to explain.

Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:48 pm

chris_ccfc wrote:I think I am correct in thinking that a Nuclear Plant in Sweden was the first to alert everyone about the Chernobyl disaster as the Ukrainian government kept it quiet and didn't want people to know what had happened.

Looking at reports it seems like the cores at Fukushima are still intact and it's nowhere as serious as Chernobyl yet, however who knows what may happen as no doubt Japan will be hit with large aftershocks and this might cause more damage to the vulnerable buildings.

Hope everything turns out alright as the last thing Japan needs is a nuclear disaster.

Chris you are quite right in saying the Russians kept it very quiet and then denied for a very long time as to what had happened. I think you were right that Sweden picked it up first we picked it up way before they even admitted there was a problem. It was surreal for my mate who detected it first, he has retired now but was the best Monitor i have known, when he spoke about his job you listened. He was like hell i have never known anything like it. Had we had those same levels in the station in any given area then it would of been classed as C3 which requires full contamination clothing and Respirator. And this was all outside and we was all breathing it.
Luckily now the Russians are very safety conscious and i am led to believe they are one of the safest where before it was to cut any corner going. What i can assure everyone on here is nothing like Chernobyl could happen in this Country so sleep tight

Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:12 pm

Were very fortunate in Britain that we don't really experience any natural disasters. A few floods and a few inches of snow is about as bad as it gets.

Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:16 pm

chris_ccfc wrote:Were very fortunate in Britain that we don't really experience any natural disasters. A few floods and a few inches of snow is about as bad as it gets.

And we cant cope with that

Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:26 pm

Personally I think Nuclear Power should be consigned to history.

Might make me sound like some lefty do gooder but why do we need to use it when we cant dispose of nuclear waste safely. Hydro electric, wind, wave and solar power should be the way forward.

Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:31 pm

Yeah, the explosions were definately hydrogen - it behaves in odd ways and can pool if it's not vented properly. If a spark from say a ceiling fan hits one of the pools then its all over.

Good news though http://www.ajc.com/business/hopes-new-p ... 73783.html .

Hopes new power line may ease Japan nuclear crisis
By SHINO YUASA

The Associated Press

TOKYO — The operator of Japan's tsunami-crippled nuclear plant says it has almost completed a new power line that could restore electricity to the complex and solve the crisis that has threatened a meltdown.

Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:02 pm

Gareth (Wilts) wrote:Personally I think Nuclear Power should be consigned to history.

Might make me sound like some lefty do gooder but why do we need to use it when we cant dispose of nuclear waste safely. Hydro electric, wind, wave and solar power should be the way forward.

But Gareth if you believe Wind power actually is the answer you are sadly wrong. Its an eye sore that is just a political statement. You pay an extra £200 a year on your fuel bills to subsidize these wind farms, that cost fortune and is as efficient as Lee Naylor is at left back. Wave!! well unproven and not even a goer. Hydro ask the Canadians is not what its cracked up to be and solar panels on your roof !! well it would be enough to heat your water but that's it. We have clean Coal options which should also be used as well as Nuclear. But these renew ables please believe me Gareth i am not bullshitting you is useless, It sadly isn't even an option, it is a political tool to try and convince us that each party is Green. But if you talk to the original Greenpeace they will back the Nuclear option as the cleanest and safest.

Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:05 pm

Nuclearblue wrote:
Gareth (Wilts) wrote:Personally I think Nuclear Power should be consigned to history.

But Gareth if you believe Wind power actually is the answer you are sadly wrong. Its an eye sore that is just a political statement. You pay an extra £200 a year on your fuel bills to subsidize these wind farms, that cost fortune and is as efficient as Lee Naylor is at left back. Wave!! well unproven and not even a goer. Hydro ask the Canadians is not what its cracked up to be and solar panels on your roof !! well it would be enough to heat your water but that's it. We have clean Coal options which should also be used as well as Nuclear. But these renew ables please believe me Gareth i am not bullshitting you is useless, It sadly isn't even an option, it is a political tool to try and convince us that each party is Green. But if you talk to the original Greenpeace they will back the Nuclear option as the cleanest and safest.

s
pot on.

Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:07 pm

Nuclearblue wrote:

You sound like you know what you are talking about-can you answer me this-what happens to our nuclear waste once used and is there asafe place to keep it?

Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:20 pm

Gareth (Wilts) wrote:
Nuclearblue wrote:

You sound like you know what you are talking about-can you answer me this-what happens to our nuclear waste once used and is there asafe place to keep it?

Gareth you have different levels in waste. You have the High levels IE the spent Uranium that go to Sellafield and that is repossessed. I don't now the procedures they use there to do this. As for medium waste they go to Drigg where it is a safe place where it is buried but believe me it is low level you could stand next to it and only receive a small dose. Then you have Low level and if it can be incinerated it is, then the ashes go to Drigg. The new stations the waste is a lot lot less than say the old ones as technology improves the reactor Cores get smaller but the output a lot higher.
Yes i wouldn't say waste isn't a problem but it is getting better and we need alternatives to gas Oil Coal as there supply isn't endless. We can store waste safely that is for sure, but we need to utilise all forms of power. Renew ables we dont have the technology to make it work efficiently at the moment and i can't see it working. One day they will use Anti matter and that would be 100% safe and plentiful but that is a very long way off Gareth.

Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:23 pm

It was meant to say REPROSESED not repossessed :lol: :lol: :lol:

Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:33 pm

Bloody hell Steve that sounded like you knew what you were talking about. well done :ayatollah:

Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:45 pm

Russians only wear y fronts to stop chernobyl fallout :D

Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:48 pm

from what im hearing the doses airbourne in japan are low, in the way that, if you drove through the are in a car with all the windows down you would be hit with less, than if you went to hospital for a cat scan,
but again its only what we are being told
as for chernobyl there are still parts of this country where farmers are still unable to sell on their livestock due to the fall out

Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:31 pm

Nukes

I'm supposed to go there in about a month (Tokyo & Kyoto). Do you reckon it will be safe?

Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:26 pm

You'll know by tomorrow.

Sounds like they have the reactors under control but for some reason they couldn't keep the storage pool for the spent rods full and the rods are now exposed to the air.

Huge problem as the pool is not in any storage containment unit.

Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:36 am

What happened to the cooling ponds that is a mystery but it could of been damaged in the blast but it would of been contained in a building. As for going to Tokyo I wouldn't want to have your choice. But see what happens.

Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:01 am

Solar power - in Wales?

You taking the piss????

None of the highly hyped "alternative" energy streams have shown they have been capable of a) living up to the hype b) being nothing than costly follies or c ) delivering the power needed.

Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:29 pm

move over carl,nukes is here :D :ayatollah:

Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:20 pm

Sorry Nuke, but you are talking far too much sense for my liking. Get a grip of yourself man!!!

Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:14 pm

PtB wrote:Sorry Nuke, but you are talking far too much sense for my liking. Get a grip of yourself man!!!

All will be back to normal soon Minty :lol: :lol: :lol: