Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

The Spine - 2002/03 the last time we had one

Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:29 am

I always think the spine of a football team is the heartbeat and artillery for a succesful side. History books have proved this right up to the modern game. What I mean by the spine is literally your best players and first names on the teamsheet with experience and quality are at goalie, 2 centre backs, 2 midfield, and striker and then build the squad around them. Jones has NEVER achieved this solid base at our club, this line up was what I consider the last great spine at our club.

Neil Alexander

Danny Gabbidon

James Collins

Graham Kavanagh

Willie Boland (some will disagree, but a great foil and partner in the trenches for Kav)

Robert Earnshaw

Peter Thorne.

If you tell me Jones has a spine in the team then i totally disagree, keeper, centre back, centre midfield and this season upfront have been very questionable and vulnerable, good on the flanks and full back yes. But we have a SOFT UNDERBELLY that is exposed, leaks goals, lacks bite and communication and has got a paltry 8 wins out of 26, the kind of form that would have us looking over our shoulder.
Thoughts please :ayatollah:

Re: The Spine - 2002/03 the last time we had one

Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:52 am

tangledupinblue wrote:I always think the spine of a football team is the heartbeat and artillery for a succesful side. History books have proved this right up to the modern game. What I mean by the spine is literally your best players and first names on the teamsheet with experience and quality are at goalie, 2 centre backs, 2 midfield, and striker and then build the squad around them. Jones has NEVER achieved this solid base at our club, this line up was what I consider the last great spine at our club.

Neil Alexander
Danny Gabbidon
James Collins
Graham Kavallanagh
Willie Boland (some will disagree, but a great foil and partner in the trenches for Kav)
Robert Earnshaw
Peter Thorne.

If you tell me Jones has a spine in the team then i totally disagree, keeper, centre back, centre midfield and this season upfront have been very questionable and vulnerable, good on the flanks and full back yes. But we have a SOFT UNDERBELLY that is exposed, leaks goals, lacks bite and communication and has got a paltry 8 wins out of 26, the kind of form that would have us looking over our shoulder.
Thoughts please :ayatollah:

Exactly what I said up the pub Saturday. Had we got someone like Keinan and a CM at the start of the year when we all knew we needed it results would have been very different.

Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:14 pm

injuries havent helped us this year mind, bothroyd, chopra, bellamy, oli, mcnaughton, quinn, drinkwater, heaton, marshall and now hudson all missing games this year!

Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:21 pm

AHERNE wrote:injuries havent helped us this year mind, bothroyd, chopra, bellamy, oli, mcnaughton, quinn, drinkwater, heaton, marshall and now hudson all missing games this year!

That's part of football though, the replacements just aren't up too scratch

Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:31 pm

The ONLY player at CCFC that has a spine is McNaughton, they rest and I include the big name so-called stars are not worth a bucket of piss.

Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:45 pm

completely agree!! He doesnt have a clue who his first choice keeper is, our centre backs have been chopping and changing all year, he changes the centre mid pairing most weeks, and he pisses around with the forward pairing a lot as well!

Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:38 pm

centre backs and centre midfield have been priority for strengthening for the last 4 seasons