Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

I'm actually happy with the performance and result.

Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:09 pm

We are ranked 116th in the world, I honestly expected 5-6 goals conceded and for Wales to play shit.

But we didn't. It wasn't a perfect performance but we played ok I thought, especially the second half. We looked far more positive and I thought some players were very good.

Vaughan should've started, he was great when he came on (his tackle on Young was immense), I thought Ramsey played well, there were a few dodgy passes but nothing too bad. Collins and Williams played well at the back in the second half and I thought Gunter dealt with Young well as well.

Overall I was pleasantly suprised. England are 110 places higher than us in the world and are surrounded by the best teams in the world. We're lower than Haiti, Azerbaijan, Kuwait, Sudan, Syria...the list goes on. For a young team who must have such low confidence these days I thought the result and the performance gave hope to the players and not just that but fans too. I certaintly feel more optimistic about the future of international football in Wales.

Re: I'm actually happy with the performance and result.

Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:13 pm

I dont give a flying f uck about it. I used to follow Wales home and away, with my last match at the San Siro. I even turned over for half hour to watch the cricket.

Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:20 pm

MyNameIsAled wrote:We are ranked 116th in the world, I honestly expected 5-6 goals conceded and for Wales to play shit.

You actually take the rankings seriously? We're not great or good but nowhere near 116th...

But we didn't. It wasn't a perfect performance but we played ok I thought, especially the second half. We looked far more positive and I thought some players were very good.

And created how many shots on target? Second half, England slacked off. They played pretty average all game, could have gone up a gear - if needed.

Vaughan should've started, he was great when he came on (his tackle on Young was immense), I thought Ramsey played well, there were a few dodgy passes but nothing too bad. Collins and Williams played well at the back in the second half and I thought Gunter dealt with Young well as well.

Agree about Vaughan, Ramo was hamstrung by those players around him, Collins ( both) incredibly poor first half costing us the goals. Williams nothing special.

Overall I was pleasantly suprised. England are 110 places higher than us in the world and are surrounded by the best teams in the world. We're lower than Haiti, Azerbaijan, Kuwait, Sudan, Syria...the list goes on. For a young team who must have such low confidence these days I thought the result and the performance gave hope to the players and not just that but fans too. I certaintly feel more optimistic about the future of international football in Wales.

Drop the rankings bs! You're proving how artificially false they are - seriiously think we're worse than say Syria?

It was a poor performance. Tactically, 4-2-3-1 was aimed to get the creative attackers ( Bellamy, King, Rambo ) playing in Englands half. In reality, Ledley, the other anonymous one, both overrun forcing our attackers to defend. Morison proving it's doubtful he's even a CHamp player really. And then when we need to chase the game... Speed makes like for like changes.

Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:30 pm

Morrison was an absolute turd up front. So many times he just didn't even look where the ball was going and gave up the chase. I'm not saying he would have reached the balls, but it would be nice to see a player at least looking interested. Today he looked like a guy helping out a mate's team who didn't want to crock himself for his other team (Millwall). He should never play again.

I was very surprised that Vaughan didn't start. I am a big fan of his and he always gives 100% for Wales. Crofts tried hard but never delivered and I felt King was harshly treated by being brought off. King should have played in the hole behind the front man, not Ramsey.

From what I have seen of Speed so far I have not been impressed. However, he is learning and to be honest we aren't actually a very good footballing nation right now. Ok, we have Bale, Ramsey, Bellamy and... well... no-one else really world class. We have decent players like Collins (not Danny, that guy is a joker at left back - but who else is there right now???), Hennessey, Gunter etc but they're not top 6 Premiership quality. International sides the world over have at least 5-6 of those players. Look at Switzerland and Montenegro in our group alone.

Whoever is saying we have our best crop of players in years is having a laugh. We aren't very good. Maybe when Gunter matures, Hennessey gets more experience, Collison comes back and we actually have a strike partnership that can play at the top level we can consider it but a lot of people's judgment on our current squad is waaaay off.

I ruled out the next 5-10 years of Welsh football a few years back. The last 6 months have shown me nothing to change my mind. I think we showed moments today where we could upset teams but we are so far off becoming a competitive nation again it's laughable.

Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:33 pm

MyNameIsAled wrote:We are ranked 116th in the world, I honestly expected 5-6 goals conceded and for Wales to play shit.

ditto, I'm also happy with the performance

Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:36 pm

Well I must say I'm not really as you could say happy, but I am some what relieved that we held them after the 2 early goals,and must say it could have been much worse. So well done for holding them guys,and lets hope we can do better when the likes of Bale comes back. :ayatollah:

Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:41 pm

welshcitydragon wrote:Well I must say I'm not really as you could say happy, but I am some what relieved that we held them after the 2 early goals,and must say it could have been much worse. So well done for holding them guys,and lets hope we can do better when the likes of Bale comes back. :ayatollah:

We held them because England had no need to push on and up the tempo.
If they had, result would have been worse.

Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:43 pm

Agree with what nerd is saying. In our defence though, we did look a lot more competitive in the second half. We won more 50-50s and looked to create much more. However, I just felt that if England wanted to they could have stepped up another 3 or 4 gears. The gulf in class was blatant and a bit embarrassing.

Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:44 pm

nerd wrote:
welshcitydragon wrote:Well I must say I'm not really as you could say happy, but I am some what relieved that we held them after the 2 early goals,and must say it could have been much worse. So well done for holding them guys,and lets hope we can do better when the likes of Bale comes back. :ayatollah:

Well I will back the boys and say we held them

Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:46 pm

welshcitydragon wrote:
nerd wrote:

Well I will back the boys and say we held them

It's not a case of not backing the boys as you quaintly put it and more a case of being realistic.

Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:50 pm

Yes I am being realistic , its real to say they try to score, they didnt so we held them, :) sounds real to me.