Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

"WE'RE WHERE WE WANTED TO BE" says JONES.

Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:45 pm

Dave Jones has told Cardiff City fans "We are where we wanted to be at this stage of the season"...SW Echo.

For me i would have taken this position as DJ says at the start of the season,but after we kicked off v Sheff Utd ,we added Bellers : Oli : Keogh : and later JET : Parkin : Keinan : Rambo : JLS ... to name just 8 players.

With this squad i feel we should have more points,but as they say the table never lies.
The team have 8 games to prove they have what it takes to get the job done. :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Are we going to get 2nd spot,is it the play-offs,or are we going to miss out on everything :?:

Re: "WE'RE WHERE WE WANTED",says JONES.

Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:05 pm

I know we havent got a devine right for automatic promtion, but with the loan signings weve made and squad we have.. Only realy loosing ledley at the begining, and gaining the likes of bellamy.. Newcastle and west brom out of the league.. I was expecting us to be a little bit closer to the top.. I certainly didnt think we would loose as many games as we have and been as inconcistent as we have

Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:58 am

mr'mogreenz wrote:I know we havent got a devine right for automatic promtion, but with the loan signings weve made and squad we have.. Only realy loosing ledley at the begining, and gaining the likes of bellamy.. Newcastle and west brom out of the league.. I was expecting us to be a little bit closer to the top.. I certainly didnt think we would loose as many games as we have and been as inconcistent as we have

This...^^^^^^^^^^^ :(

Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:18 am

The way we have been playing lately, i would say the latter, but anything is possible in football. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Re: "WE'RE WHERE WE WANTED TO BE" says JONES.

Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:14 pm

Firstly - Where we want to be is in the top 2! we didnt want to be 4th, and we certainly dont want to be in the dreaded play offs again! although we may have to settle for it - but Jones record in the playoff's doesnt excite me! Personally Saturday - is the last time we can say its "A MUST WIN" game in my eyes..... Its our last chance for Automatic competition, and if we dont be Derby at HOME then it is my opinion that we'll then be fighting for a play off place. (If Swansea and Norwich draw or lose however - my opinon may change!)

we have eight games and it is my opinion that we need 84 pts to claim 2nd spot. which means from our eight games left we need 21 pts from 24 available.... (this could be as low as 80pts though depending on other results!) and only affording to lose against QPR - however - this could turn out to be the game that changes alot at the top as we are fighting for 2nd spot and QPR are not, and may well have already got their promotion by then anyway and will have relaxed a little. (which in turn could mean a better performance but who knows!)

In my opinion - I think that the two most problematic games for us could well be Preston and Burnley away. Burnley because they will most probably still be competing for one of the lower places in the playoffs, and Preston because we always underperform against them, and because they will be fighting like dogs to survive and will have their win against us over the last few seasons in the back of their minds!

I still maintain that we will be promoted in 2nd spot, but boy do we need to make one hell of a noise and support the team like crazy home and away!

So now is the time that this forum and the community of Cardiff are sending out the rallying cry for support - and not let this once in a lifetime opportunity of top flight football pass us by!

We MUST get to the premiership! :ayatollah:

Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:04 pm

Merlin wrote:
In my opinion - I think that the two most problematic games for us could well be Preston and Burnley away.
I still maintain that we will be promoted in 2nd spot,

All the games are problematic. On paper the last 4 were all against teams below us, and we bagged TWO points out of 12. The next 8 are all loseable. Yes they are all winable but it's difficult seeing us winning enough to net 2nd spot.

Can you see us scoring enough with a ponderous central midfield happy to play deep and pass it amongst themselves and not getting it up the field quickly (until they fall behind)?

Can you see us keeping the "back door shut" enough and "not switching off" [to adopt jones' catchphrases]?

Pessimistic yes but realistic as well.

Our chance for me went during March after doing so well to catch up after that awful November. It is no longer in our hands and whilst Norwich & swansea will drop points, is it really likely that City can win (draws are now not good enough) enough to claw the lead back and keep ahead?

Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:13 pm

Danny Says wrote:
Merlin wrote:
In my opinion - I think that the two most problematic games for us could well be Preston and Burnley away.
I still maintain that we will be promoted in 2nd spot,

All the games are problematic. On paper the last 4 were all against teams below us, and we bagged TWO points out of 12. The next 8 are all loseable. Yes they are all winable but it's difficult seeing us winning enough to net 2nd spot.

Can you see us scoring enough with a ponderous central midfield happy to play deep and pass it amongst themselves and not getting it up the field quickly (until they fall behind)?

Can you see us keeping the "back door shut" enough and "not switching off" [to adopt jones' catchphrases]?

Pessimistic yes but realistic as well.

Our chance for me went during March after doing so well to catch up after that awful November. It is no longer in our hands and whilst Norwich & swansea will drop points, is it really likely that City can win (draws are now not good enough) enough to claw the lead back and keep ahead?

note my post about the final league table..... all the other teams DO drop points which will aid us.... I tried to be as straight as i could with the results think i even put 3 draws in for city as well? I personally believe we will not lose any more of our games - and I pray to god, I'm right! :ayatollah:

Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:36 pm

this international break came at the perfect time for us i feel,

gives us a chance to regroup and get in shape for the last 8 games, also hopefully the break will put off norwich abit and hope they will lose points soon ( although i cant see them not winning saturday )

Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:40 pm

strange comments really.

with the side he has did he really want to be 4th, 13 points behind QPR, 4 behind NORWICH, 3pionts behind SWANSEA :?: :?

ok dave if that where you want to be. GOOD LUCK GETTING US TO 2ND THEN. after all your were you want to be!!

Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:23 pm

milly44 wrote:strange comments really.

with the side he has did he really want to be 4th, 13 points behind QPR, 4 behind NORWICH, 3pionts behind SWANSEA :?: :?

ok dave if that where you want to be. GOOD LUCK GETTING US TO 2ND THEN. after all your were you want to be!!

Nath, we can finish 2nd easily - as long as we dont lose - I've tried so many variations on the BBC Predictor, and get us 3rd at worse only a point behind! 2nd on 3 other trys with different results....

All we have to do is NOT lose..... (so yes, Jones has to beat a few previous ghostly slipups!)

BUT we have been on 7 and 8 game runs before without losing, so no reason why we cant do it now. Hopefully with the easiest run in - and i say that lightly, and with others around us pinching points off each other, the possibility is actually quite easily obtainable, as long as everybody knuckles down, performs, concentrates and grabs each game by the balls..... I really think we can get through these last 8 games unbeaten - and IF we do, we will be the happiest football fans in the country! :)

Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:36 pm

I feel our best hope is to play more positively, and use our attacking flair players more ie go for broke up front right from the off.

This means the midfield being more advanced and playing the game in the opposition half. Yes we'll be more open but we need wins now not draws.

City cannot do what they did versus Barnsley and just be patient and hope a goal will come because our defence is too fragile to enable a 1-0 scoreline.

I still feel though it was a poor piece of management not being able to persuade any forward to come to the club for the remainder of the season with Chopra out. Bellamy is one card (I think) from a 2 game suspension. Bothroyd is injured althugh he is due back and his yellow card tally is mounting. What happens then?

Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:54 pm

Thanks to all who have posted so far :ayatollah: Lots of good points,and interesting views on different parts of the club.

What worries me is still this statistic when we go 1-0 down.Something like 9 wins in 117 games i think :?:
If its Wins we need this has to be addresed,and now is no better time to start and show we have fight in our team :ayatollah:

Also DJ and the squad have 2 weeks to sort out the defence,which of late has been shocking :roll:
We have taken the lead 4 times in the last 2 games,And have kept the lead for.... 16 mins In TOTAL. :roll:

I still belive we will need luck from other teams if we are to go up in 2nd spot :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:11 pm

Dave Jones what a complete and utter ............... Fill in the space anyone :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:10 pm

Nuclearblue wrote:Dave Jones what a complete and utter ............... Fill in the space anyone :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I've run out of words to describe the guy.

Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:24 pm

Merlin wrote:
milly44 wrote:strange comments really.

Nath, we can finish 2nd easily - as long as we dont lose - I've tried so many variations on the BBC Predictor, and get us 3rd at worse only a point behind! 2nd on 3 other trys with different results....

All we have to do is NOT lose..... (so yes, Jones has to beat a few previous ghostly slipups!)

BUT we have been on 7 and 8 game runs before without losing, so no reason why we cant do it now. Hopefully with the easiest run in - and i say that lightly, and with others around us pinching points off each other, the possibility is actually quite easily obtainable, as long as everybody knuckles down, performs, concentrates and grabs each game by the balls..... I really think we can get through these last 8 games unbeaten - and IF we do, we will be the happiest football fans in the country! :)

Sorry mate, but we are as likely to go on a LOSING run as we are a winning run. The odds on
us getting automatic promotion now are going out, and the bookies are not wrong very often

Jones comments are ludicrous.

Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:31 pm

i thought we wanted to win the league?

Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:58 pm

The play offs beckon for us, I can also see the JB's getting auto :o , a nasty thought I know but only saying it as I see it.

We've had numerous opportunities to make 2nd spot our own only to fail to get the results to make it happen. I can only see more unpredictable performances from our players in the last 8 games and as mentioned earlier Burnley and Preston are gonna be 2 possible pitfalls.

Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:18 pm

TopCat CCFC wrote:Dave Jones has told Cardiff City fans "We are where we wanted to be at this stage of the season"...SW Echo.

For me i would have taken this position as DJ says at the start of the season,but after we kicked off v Sheff Utd ,we added Bellers : Oli : Keogh : and later JET : Parkin : Keinan : Rambo : JLS ... to name just 8 players.

With this squad i feel we should have more points,but as they say the table never lies.
The team have 8 games to prove they have what it takes to get the job done. :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Are we going to get 2nd spot,is it the play-offs,or are we going to miss out on everything :?:

Between us and Swansea I reckon, Norwich have some tough games that Norwich Swansea game could decide our fate. If they win it it should give them a lot of confidence, lose it and they could start a dodgy run.

I honesty think we will just sneak it, but I am ever the optamist, and maybe it's my heart not head telling me that !!! :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:31 pm

We're where we want to be? Surely we'd want to be top with a nice 9 point cushion lol.

Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:37 am

I stick up for Jones consistently on here but even I don't understand this.

There's every possibility the quote's been taken out of context by some hack or whatever, but taking it at face value I don't understand how he can say this when his boss said at the start of the year we want automatic.

Dato Chan my Lord!!! :ayatollah:

Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:35 am

If we are to have any chance of making 2nd, Jones has to either change to 4-3-3 or drop McPhail out of his preferred rigid 4-4-2 formation.

Brutally harsh but absolutely true IMO.

Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:49 am

I watched this interview on Cardiff City player and believe me DJ has not been misquoted however I think we should all treat it just as more DJ spin.

As couple of weeks ago he was saying we are chasing down top spot but lets face it that has gone, he has also been saying there is a lot of football to play but as we drop off the top two places he now says we have an 8 game season. Lets face it from November - January his spin was we are still in 2nd position sp he has to come up with something different.

I think he was trying to say that we are where we wanted to be because with 8 games left we still have a chance of automatic promotion, and that is the primary aim for this season, however he lacks the media skills to effectively communicate this.

The reality for us all is that whatever the outcome of the season we do still have a chance of automatic promotion but that chance is being erroded by inconsistent performances and results so I think what will be will be and DJ will actually have little effect on it.

Except to change his spin on the situation as the weeks and games go by, get ready for lots of People In This Part Of The World excuses. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:40 am

I dont know if I can take another season of playoff heartbreak!! DJ will defintely walk if we miss out. The fans wont be able to persevere with him for another season!!

Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:07 pm

Sounds like he is trying to dampen expectations so he can try and save his job if we don't go up.

Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:54 pm

bluebird_mike wrote:We're where we want to be? Surely we'd want to be top with a nice 9 point cushion lol.

If only bluebird mike ;) If only :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:29 pm

TopCat CCFC wrote:Dave Jones has told Cardiff City fans "We are where we wanted to be at this stage of the season"...SW Echo.

Tony,

DJ Balls is having a laugh Surely ?
What so he wanted All along to be looking up at QPR,Norwich and the Jacks ? :roll:
He Never Wanted to be Top of the Table or at Least Top 2 ? :roll:

I WISH DAVE JONES WOULD JUST SHUT HIS MOUTH and GET ON WITH THE JOB and MANAGE OUR TEAM.His Idiotic Comments for the Last 6 years have Won him No Friends.

Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:50 pm

It's because of comments like this that fans are losing interest and faith in DJ

Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:57 am

Thanks again to all who have posted with their views :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

If "WE'RE WHERE WE WANTED TO BE" - Then our Team and Manager have got their wish...Just Need To Get The Job Done Now.

Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:44 pm

More crap talk from DJ. Only a couple of wek ago he was saying we could overtake QPR, now he's happy where we are??? Come on Dave, ffs!