Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

So come clean, who collects VINYL on here

Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:06 pm

Surely I'm not the only record dork on here.

Let's discuss. LP's are the best :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Re: So come clean, who collects VINYL on here

Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:36 pm

I dunno what to make of this, either no one does, or no one bothers replying to my threads :(

Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:39 pm

I DO!!!!!

Well, I have done for the past few months, maybe a year now.

I haven't really looked at the 'classics', more just things I like. Wouldn't spend silly money on them either.

My next purchase really should be something to play them on! :oops:

Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:40 pm

tylerdurdenisabluebird wrote:Surely I'm not the only record dork on here.

it may scratch, it may jump, it may warp but it never crashes!!

Mp3 :roll:

Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:45 pm

SteW wrote:I DO!!!!!

Well, I have done for the past few months, maybe a year now.

I haven't really looked at the 'classics', more just things I like. Wouldn't spend silly money on them either.

My next purchase really should be something to play them on! :oops:

YAY haha :ayatollah:

I've only got a cheap deck from Argos hooked up to my hifi speakers, but it still sounds better than a lot of cds.

I've spent silly money before on lps - not on many, only on REALLY essential ones. Just reorganised them all, I have too many so I have to have a clear out.

Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:46 pm

How do you store them?

Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:47 pm

Canton stand baz wrote:

it may scratch, it may jump, it may warp but it never crashes!!

Mp3 :roll:

I don't get people paying for mp3's haha. That's just me though

Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:48 pm

SteW wrote:How do you store them?

I got this cabinet type thing from Ikea, it has 4 square spaces on it and they sell plastic boxes to slide into them as drawers - I just put them on the shelf though, without them

Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:52 pm

Ahhhh, expedia or something? I saw them recommended a lot on other forums.

Do you buy online, or go to record fairs?

I buy mostly new stuff, so tend to get it at gigs, or online. I love getting stuff from up-and-coming bands, as they tend to be the ones who put the effort in, and make it something special.

Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:58 pm

Nah, it's just a bog standard Bush one. Was £30 or something.

I haven't bought anything for a good year now, but when I did, got a lot from all over. Mostly shops (both online and high street). Online is best for 'pre orders', etc but its all too much hassle for me. Diverse in Newport are really good, unfortunately expensive too but if you buy a few they usually knock a tenner off without asking. Kelys in cardiff market can be good for some basic albums, but most is really overpriced

You're right about the up and coming bands - they make the effort. A chunk of the bands I have are relatively unknown ones, so the records are on coloured vinyl.

Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:10 pm

i've got about 1100 albums and about 600 singles......charity shops and car boot sales are a good place to start....my best find was a tubby haynes jazz album in a penarth charity shop....i sold it for £120....you have to look through loads of crap to find the decent stuff

Wed May 18, 2011 8:40 pm

Thought I'd bump because vinyl, and eating cake, are only things distracting me from last night

Also, 3 record shops in Cardiff that I did not know about - One in a little shack behind D'Vinyl at Mackintosh place in cardiff, one in Cowbridge and one in Canton.

One in Canton is called 'Hot Wax' records, and value wise it's the best in cardiff. Loads of old albums for fair prices. Spent 30 and got 2 lps and 10 7inches

I fear this will be me talking to myself again

Wed May 18, 2011 8:48 pm

I collect (collected) Michael Jackson music on vinyl, whenever anything was released he would still demand the label put it out on vinyl too.

Wed May 18, 2011 8:54 pm

carlccfc wrote:

I collect (collected) Michael Jackson music on vinyl, whenever anything was released he would still demand the label put it out on vinyl too.

I will actually buy some Jacko vinyl soon. I love the way it sounds. Kids today don't know what they're missing out on

Wed May 18, 2011 9:22 pm

Glad you're enjoying my cooking Adam haha
And yep, vinyl geek here too (as Adam knows).
I have a literal antique of a record player, a 60s masterpiece! It's a Fidelity vanity case style one - this is mine:
My mam and dad's fault I collect really, I collect alsorts - mostly new stuff though. I love some of the oldies that I have though (mostly some from my mam and dad's collection!)

Thu May 19, 2011 6:31 am

i got loads of vinyl from the 70's and 80's just stored away in my basement, got f**k all to play them on :o

Thu May 19, 2011 7:49 am

I have loads of them .

Thu May 19, 2011 7:53 am

I have an original hip-hop 12" import on vinyl. One of the first hip-hop records to come into the country from the States when the genre was very much unheard of. I am pretty sure it's worth a small fortune but I'm not sure where I can get it valued

Thu May 19, 2011 8:59 am

hi i have collected vinyl all my life im 59 now i save singles and eps but picked up some albums along the way maybe we could chat sometime bout our collections i have a large beatles collection .

Thu May 19, 2011 11:15 am

I have few hundred vinyls, mostly oldish hiphop/jungle/dnb, with some newer drum and bass/house/jazz etc and fair bit of classics.
Haven't bought anything for a while though, mostly free mixes from the net or cds from my favourites.

Thu May 19, 2011 8:57 pm

Ok just some of the stuff I have on Vinyl
Doors

Grateful Dead

Jethro Tull, Also some picture Disc

Yes

Bob Dylan

Scott Walker,

Also Walker Brothers Jap Red Vinyl

Beatles On the first Gold & black Lable worth around 250GBP

Van Morrison

Steve Winwood

Richie Havens

Jean Michel jarre

Steely Dan

Miles Davies

Charlie Parker

Kate Bush

Chris Rea

Men At Work

Rush

and a load more in the back bedroom.

Thu May 19, 2011 9:02 pm

maybe not the same, but i say to the boys in work, this is a good record this, if a song comes on in work. on the radio. and i get no. its a good tune etc :lol:

Thu May 19, 2011 9:05 pm

Nottage Blue wrote:I have an original hip-hop 12" import on vinyl. One of the first hip-hop records to come into the country from the States when the genre was very much unheard of. I am pretty sure it's worth a small fortune but I'm not sure where I can get it valued

If I was you, I'd check completed listings on ebay or on a site called popsike.com. It archives vinyl that has sold on ebay, and the price etc.

Don't bring it to a shop, unfortunately on the whole they try to rip people off.

Thu May 19, 2011 9:07 pm

I have plenty of vinyls because I'm a DJ/producer so 8-) 8-)

Thu May 19, 2011 9:12 pm

bluebirdbaz wrote:i got loads of vinyl from the 70's and 80's just stored away in my basement, got f**k all to play them on :o

get you 12 inches out for the boys, baz :o

Thu May 19, 2011 9:22 pm

When I left school in 95 my first job was working in a record shop!

It just sold vinyl, it was in high ST arcade in town. It was called time is right records.
We mainly sold dance music hip hop, dnb happy hardcore and techno!

It was in the basement of White dove clothing. I think catapult vinyl used to trade there.
The best job I ever had and I was only paid £27.50 a week but didn't care! Did it for the love.
Met some really interesting characters!!

We had the technics decks and you could just come in and have a smoke and I would spend all day playing music for the customers!! Great times loved it!!

Sat May 21, 2011 9:42 am

there's still plenty of vinyl collectors out there,the best shop in South Wales without a doubt is D'vinyl,only problem is he's got TOO much stock in the shop,you can't move in there...don't like Kellys--way over priced,and a complete rip off when it comes to buying/trading stuff...the hidden gem in the Valleys is Second Time Around ,in Tonypandy---got a good selection,decent prices and the owner is a big Cardiff fan...

Sat May 21, 2011 3:32 pm

i got loads of hardstyle and hard trance vinyl for sale :D used to be a dj but i cant keep up with the all weekend partying now so iv given up :old:

Mon May 23, 2011 11:36 am

unfortunately the market for dance vinyl has really suffered in the last year or so,sold a huge job lot a few months back,tons of rare stuff in there,got a piss poor amount for them on ebay...

Mon May 23, 2011 11:43 am

tylerdurdenisabluebird wrote:
Nottage Blue wrote:I have an original hip-hop 12" import on vinyl. One of the first hip-hop records to come into the country from the States when the genre was very much unheard of. I am pretty sure it's worth a small fortune but I'm not sure where I can get it valued

If I was you, I'd check completed listings on ebay or on a site called popsike.com. It archives vinyl that has sold on ebay, and the price etc.

Don't bring it to a shop, unfortunately on the whole they try to rip people off.

Thanks, mate!! :ayatollah: