Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

If you had told me around 35 years ago ----

Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:28 am

When i first starting supporting the Bluebirds we would be where we are now in terms of league position, stadium etc i would have laughed my head off and said 'no chance'
We have a fantastic chance of making it to where we all want to be and so please please please put your f-in positive heads on now for the run in and don't f-in de-rail our chances by boo-ing and moaning at certain players! and DJ etc.
Now is not the time for ANY negativity from anyone to do with our fantastically unique football club so lets get 100% behind everyone and everything associated with the club.
Behaviour breeds behaviour................over to you .......... :ayatollah: :old:

Re: If you had told me around 35 years ago ----

Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:40 am

In 1976 Ninian Park was as good if not better than quite a lot of lower league and old 2nd div stadiums back then and the pitch was always superb ! :ayatollah: :old: :ayatollah:

Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:47 am

Your right, i started supporting us around the same time :old: only difference now is expectations are far higher,I have to be totally honest ,while i respect you for your positive post, i think it,s play-offs at best for us now....which is a shame as i really thought this was our year to go up automatic. :ayatollah:

Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:08 am

I liked my Ninian Park of old when we had shitty crowds and a falling down ground. But everyone seemed to know each other, especially on away trips when on many occasions we seemed to take more away than at home. As skint as we was CCFC was a "TRUE" community club as rough as it was everyone looked after each other, today's new generation City fan are shit and would stab you in the back as soon as look at you but then I think that is society in general.

Anyone who says they wouldnt want to play the likes of Manchester United, Chelsea(god help), Liverpool, Arsenal and alike week in week out are liars or mad or even both but there is a part of me that says give me the days when we could have run all round Ninian Park and even fall over that stupid short wall on the Bob bank, give me the days of the golden goal, the mad man with the plastic policemans hat, the city mad Pakistani father & son in the Grange that use to eat his cigarettes. The days when no away fans would come to NP so the Grange-End would segregate into Valley boys, Grange, Llanrumney, Barry and charge each other(one of the strangest chants I remember was "He's Harry from Barry he drives a Ferrari, arghhhhhh". The Policing was so much different then too, Jeff used to get a slating and we could make his life a misery. But on away games he would stick his neck out look out for his own sort of scoundrel. So with all the glory of the new stadia and the prospect of premiership footy & the mega bucks whats comes with it I still sometimes wish for the old days instead.

Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:31 am

Vintage 63 wrote:In 1976 Ninian Park was as good if not better than quite a lot of lower league and old 2nd div stadiums back then and the pitch was always superb ! :ayatollah: :old: :ayatollah:

Your right about our pitch, even though the ground declined over the years our pitch was like a carpet fair play :ayatollah:

Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:19 pm

RichardBluebird wrote:I liked my Ninian Park of old when we had shitty crowds and a falling down ground. But everyone seemed to know each other, especially on away trips when on many occasions we seemed to take more away than at home. As skint as we was CCFC was a "TRUE" community club as rough as it was everyone looked after each other, today's new generation City fan are shit and would stab you in the back as soon as look at you but then I think that is society in general.

Anyone who says they wouldnt want to play the likes of Manchester United, Chelsea(god help), Liverpool, Arsenal and alike week in week out are liars or mad or even both but there is a part of me that says give me the days when we could have run all round Ninian Park and even fall over that stupid short wall on the Bob bank, give me the days of the golden goal, the mad man with the plastic policemans hat, the city mad Pakistani father & son in the Grange that use to eat his cigarettes. The days when no away fans would come to NP so the Grange-End would segregate into Valley boys, Grange, Llanrumney, Barry and charge each other(one of the strangest chants I remember was "He's Harry from Barry he drives a Ferrari, arghhhhhh". The Policing was so much different then too, Jeff used to get a slating and we could make his life a misery. But on away games he would stick his neck out look out for his own sort of scoundrel. So with all the glory of the new stadia and the prospect of premiership footy & the mega bucks whats comes with it I still sometimes wish for the old days instead.

Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:25 pm

Blazing Saddles wrote:When i first starting supporting the Bluebirds we would be where we are now in terms of league position, stadium etc i would have laughed my head off and said 'no chance'
We have a fantastic chance of making it to where we all want to be and so please please please put your f-in positive heads on now for the run in and don't f-in de-rail our chances by boo-ing and moaning at certain players! and DJ etc.
Now is not the time for ANY negativity from anyone to do with our fantastically unique football club so lets get 100% behind everyone and everything associated with the club.
Behaviour breeds behaviour................over to you .......... :ayatollah: :old:

You wouldn't have thought that we would be in the top 6 of the championship at all during 35 years?! It's hardly laughable a city our size and the surrounding catchment area, that we would at some point over 35 years be pushing for promotion to the top league...

Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:26 pm

Blazing Saddles wrote:When i first starting supporting the Bluebirds we would be where we are now in terms of league position, stadium etc i would have laughed my head off and said 'no chance'

aint seen you post in a while and christ was your post refreshing :ayatollah:

Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:30 pm

havent been able to master how to reply to an individual post but thanks for the memories richard bluebird.those were the days.quality fun and camaraderie.privaleged to have been part of them

Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:32 pm

kent just press the "quote" icon above the post :ayatollah:

Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:35 pm

Bridgend_bluebird wrote:kent just press the "quote" icon above the post :ayatollah:

yay! thanks i did try that honest lol :oops: :ayatollah:

Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:44 pm

kent blue wrote:
Bridgend_bluebird wrote:kent just press the "quote" icon above the post :ayatollah:

yay! thanks i did try that honest lol :oops: :ayatollah:

:lol: :ayatollah:

Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:13 am

Of course you are right, but I do miss certain bits of the old days as well,"Up the City wear the colours" anyone remember that old boy on the Bob bank who used to shout that out, I think he was from Grangetown, I can remember the cigarette swallowing chap as well, he must have moved to the Bob Bank when they knocked the Grange down for redevelopment, I used to see him in there.

The snack shop being run by a team of helpful senior citizens rather than surly teenagers

We did not have "prominent" fans (Frankie aside of course) but by the mid eighties there were so few of us we were all prominent.

If I'm honest I don't enjoy it as much as I used to, it's more down to the mercenary attitude of some players and not just at our club that I object to, I can't connect to them on the whole, when we do look back at previous years (Durban era anybody?) we had some shockingly poor players, but on the whole they tried their guts out and seemed to care (Apart from Graham Withey of course).

I know we are in the best position we have been in since I started watching in 76, and I never thought I would be talking about FA cup finals and the possibility of being in the top division, but there was something character building about dismal 1-0 home defeats in the rain by Northern teams wearing yellow that I miss.