Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Canton atmosphere

Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:57 pm

Obviously the Grandstand and the Family stands don't sing at all. There is a decent bit from the Ninian next to the away fans, but up until now you have always been able to rely on the Canton for a bit of noise. This season it seems to be getting worse as it goes on.
On Saturday, even when we were 4-0 up, we were being out sung by a few hundred Derby fans!

Also, after about 80 minutes you had the bizarre sight of hundreds, maybe thousands of home fans heading for the exits, when we were winning 4-0!!!!!

As the great Marvin Gaye once said, "What going on"?

Re: Canton atmosphere

Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:00 pm

Fuk knows mate it baffles me tbh,im in 106 FF and have noticed it's gettin worse

Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:02 pm

i think we are the only fans to do it :twisted:

Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:14 pm

I honestly think its the industry around the ground.
People cant wait to be first in line for a Subway,Greggs,McDonalds,KFC,etc.
Therefore all them leaving early.
In Ninian the only thing we had was the burger van outside and thats all we needed . :ayatollah:

Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:23 pm

CCFC- Bramhill wrote:I honestly think its the industry around the ground.
People cant wait to be first in line for a Subway,Greggs,McDonalds,KFC,etc.
Therefore all them leaving early.
In Ninian the only thing we had was the burger van outside and thats all we needed . :ayatollah:

I think it's definately a factor. To a lot of fans, stuffing thier faces is more important than football. Just eat before the game, take a drink in your pocket, and save yourself money, and get to see the whole game.

The car park is a problem too. If there were park and ride buses from, say Cardiff West services and Pentwyn for maybe £2 per car, that may help. Shuttle buses back and forth from town for £1 each. Cheap match day fares on the trains too, more football specials from Treherbert, Merthyr, Aberdare, Ebbw Vale etc The club should be getting this sorted now.

Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:34 pm

i wish we could move back to the grange end by the away fans such a shame the way the stands were organised i cant see it getting any better the way it is.

Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:38 pm

ccfc1981 wrote:i wish we could move back to the grange end by the away fans such a shame the way the stands were organised i cant see it getting any better the way it is.

I honestly don't see this as being the problem. The Canton is further from the away fans, so surely we should be singing louder so they can hear it. Also we were right next them in the Grange end at NP but the atmosphere was often a flat as a pancake there too.

Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:41 pm

hate the fans leaving early no matter what. this season has been terrible with fans leaving early unless they have their reasons which some do. but the atmopshere is getting worse. need to step it up bigtime

Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:39 am

lewis91 wrote:hate the fans leaving early no matter what. this season has been terrible with fans leaving early unless they have their reasons which some do. but the atmopshere is getting worse. need to step it up bigtime

Don't think this happens in any other sport. :(

Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:21 am

would people leave the cinema 10 mins early ?

Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:58 am

I think the only reason people leave early is cause they've parked opposite, in costco, asda and all that and if you stay till the end you're queuing to get out of the car park for upto anywhere between 10mins to 50mins. I have left early before and gotten away easily and i've been right at the end and been stuck there trying to get out for about half an hour. The parking and getting out situation is the only reason I can really think of as to why people leave early.

Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:36 pm

Since we have moved to the new stadium nobody sings prior to kick off anymore. Infact thousands of fans now file in 5 mins after kick off more concerned with their beer and pint in the concourse. The grange used to be rammed 20 mins prior to kick off making sure the away fans knew they were in Cardiff. Now its like a pop and crisps day out :lol:

Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:50 pm

I really don't understand the logic which means supporters who are leaving early have an affect on the ability of those who claim they stay until the end to sing songs?

I absolutely hate this new fad of one lot of City fans be moaning another lot and blaming them for their own shortcomings, it's oh so DJ.

Stop moaning and start singing would be my advice...

Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:50 pm

Cefnfforestbluebird wrote:Since we have moved to the new stadium nobody sings prior to kick off anymore. Infact thousands of fans now file in 5 mins after kick off more concerned with their beer and pint in the concourse. The grange used to be rammed 20 mins prior to kick off making sure the away fans knew they were in Cardiff. Now its like a pop and crisps day out :lol:

i agree with that for the final few games they should shut the bar 15 mins prior to kick off so fans can get to their seats and spur the team on. what will they make more from promotion or the revenue of a few thousand pints before the game ?

Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:10 pm

We should have just kept the origins of Ninian Park and left the away fans next to the signing lot (old Grange Stand) and the end of the Ninian....... (SWAP THE CANTON WITH FAMILY) whats the difference to ninian park?

If the fans who like to sing were alot closer together - including the away fans, then we wouldn't be talking about this all the time.

Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:19 pm

CF64 BLUE wrote:
lewis91 wrote:hate the fans leaving early no matter what. this season has been terrible with fans leaving early unless they have their reasons which some do. but the atmopshere is getting worse. need to step it up bigtime

Don't think this happens in any other sport. :(

in any other sport? at any other games? i can't think of many teams who's fans leave early every game no matter if the team is winning or losing.

Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:47 pm

Daniel_PT_blues wrote:Fuk knows mate it baffles me tbh,im in 106 FF and have noticed it's gettin worse

u must sit next to me butt! im always singing, tall lanky tw*t! (especially when ive had a few!)

Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:09 pm

Merlin wrote:We should have just kept the origins of Ninian Park and left the away fans next to the signing lot (old Grange Stand) and the end of the Ninian....... (SWAP THE CANTON WITH FAMILY) whats the difference to ninian park?

If the fans who like to sing were alot closer together - including the away fans, then we wouldn't be talking about this all the time.

'WE' the fans would have.

Times have changed we all know that. It's all about political correctness these days. Reducing hostilities at football matches is just another example of that, and they've done a good job havent they!!!!

So its time to face facts. It will never ever be the same. Or we take over the family stand (cant see that happening either)

Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:16 pm

Cefnfforestbluebird wrote:Since we have moved to the new stadium nobody sings prior to kick off anymore. Infact thousands of fans now file in 5 mins after kick off more concerned with their beer and pint in the concourse. The grange used to be rammed 20 mins prior to kick off making sure the away fans knew they were in Cardiff. Now its like a pop and crisps day out :lol:

You got to be joking! The Grangend hasn't been "rammed 20 mins before kick off for years not even when it was reduced in size and then further divided to accomodate the away fans.

Selective memory I think it's called!