Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

The Future of Cardiff City FC being OVERLOOKED!

Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:43 pm

OK, This is a topic I've never really talked about so Where do I start?

My son has a friend at school who plays football for a local U13's side in Cardiff, as well as actually having spells for the Cardiff Academy itself. He too, has a younger brother who plays for his local U10's team, and holds a regular spot in the Cardiff Academy and makes regular trips with Cardiff academy to national sides for games and tournaments. He always does extremely well, and for his Age you can just tell that he has that natural talent and potential to become a serious future star, and I don't say that lightly when speaking about such young lads.

Every time he plays for his local team, he ends up being top scorer or man of the match which he is always extremely pleased an excited about, and his older brother the same.

He has been watched on a few occasions by scouts, although I'm not sure how many exactly, and on a few occasions The Cardiff scouting have spoken to the parents briefly and are concerned on miniscule aspects of his game, eg. the touch of his opposite foot not being quite perfect. Obviously a lad under 10yrs old ISN'T going to be perfect and small parts of his game like this will come with age, coaching and experience.

My concern here is with the Cardiff Academy or scouting - or whatever setup or process they have in place to take on these lads at a young age. They seem to be looking for Ryan Giggs' at the age of 9/10 out in the parks and not allowing for any kind of imbalance or inaccuracy in their game.

HOWEVER, Bristol Rovers have told the parents they will be coming down to watch him in his next tournament with a potential of taking him on (dont ask me the exact details - i dont know) but they said he looks a fantastic little acquisition and a good all round player with certain potential to become a future star.

Why do the Cardiff academy let these lads with talent just slip through their fingers? This surely should be a priority for a growing club like ourselves? to be taking on fresh young local talent and really building them to become potential senior players.

Funny thing is last year I put a bet on at the bookies that these two brothers would in future make debuts for premier league clubs - with more focus on the younger brother.

Is our academy/scouting/enrolling initiative process or what ever you want to call it failing at its job and NEEDS?
Scouting should be done in numbers and significantly on weekend grass-root sat/sun games as a priority of moving the club forward......

(If anyone with any say in academy or enrollment or anybody that can help with this - then contact me via pm and I will give you the names of the two lads, and their local teams - as I would love Cardiff to show more interest at looking at this pair of boys! - We've seen how Manchester Utd have on more than one occasion taken on BROTHERS as well as some other clubs - which can result in only a positive outlook on this topic!)

Re: The Future of Cardiff City FC being OVERLOOKED!

Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:54 pm

Merlin wrote:OK, This is a topic I've never really talked about so Where do I start?

My son has a friend at school who plays football for a local U13's side in Cardiff, as well as actually having spells for the Cardiff Academy itself. He too, has a younger brother who plays for his local U10's team, and holds a regular spot in the Cardiff Academy and makes regular trips with Cardiff academy to national sides for games and tournaments. He always does extremely well, and for his Age you can just tell that he has that natural talent and potential to become a serious future star, and I don't say that lightly when speaking about such young lads.

Every time he plays for his local team, he ends up being top scorer or man of the match which he is always extremely pleased an excited about, and his older brother the same.

He has been watched on a few occasions by scouts, although I'm not sure how many exactly, and on a few occasions The Cardiff scouting have spoken to the parents briefly and are concerned on miniscule aspects of his game, eg. the touch of his opposite foot not being quite perfect. Obviously a lad under 10yrs old ISN'T going to be perfect and small parts of his game like this will come with age, coaching and experience.

My concern here is with the Cardiff Academy or scouting - or whatever setup or process they have in place to take on these lads at a young age. They seem to be looking for Ryan Giggs' at the age of 9/10 out in the parks and not allowing for any kind of imbalance or inaccuracy in their game.

HOWEVER, Bristol Rovers have told the parents they will be coming down to watch him in his next tournament with a potential of taking him on (dont ask me the exact details - i dont know) but they said he looks a fantastic little acquisition and a good all round player with certain potential to become a future star.

Why do the Cardiff academy let these lads with talent just slip through their fingers? This surely should be a priority for a growing club like ourselves? to be taking on fresh young local talent and really building them to become potential senior players.

Funny thing is last year I put a bet on at the bookies that these two brothers would in future make debuts for premier league clubs - with more focus on the younger brother.

Is our academy/scouting/enrolling initiative process or what ever you want to call it failing at its job and NEEDS?
Scouting should be done in numbers and significantly on weekend grass-root sat/sun games as a priority of moving the club forward......

Ridiculous. He sounds like he runs every game he plays in. If he's doing that with these
shockingly obvious *cough *cough 'Faults'..... Then what the f**k will he be like with a bit of
professional coaching.

Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:59 pm

taffyapples wrote:
Merlin wrote:OK, This is a topic I've never really talked about so Where do I start?

Ridiculous. He sounds like he runs every game he plays in. If he's doing that with these
shockingly obvious *cough *cough 'Faults'..... Then what the f**k will he be like with a bit of
professional coaching.

They do get quite a bit of professional coaching already - and in my eyes, I dont see many faults what so ever when I've watched, Its quite amazing to see how much he looks around at the shape of the game and where everyone is when he's not on the ball, and he talks alot during the game which is unusual for such a young player, he almost points out to his team members on what they need to do, and the team always performs well! You just think - If only a Scout was here now REALLY taking an interest here.... a real captain of the future in my opinion, but Im not a scout or a prefessional - so my opinion is purely based on my own knowledge! I sit there sometimes and think Damn I wish my boy had the potential of this lad! but my boy doesn't have that football knack that he would need to at his age to get noticed in that way..... you either got it or you havent! and he doesnt..... :lol:

Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:01 pm

In response to your last paragraph: Aaron Ramsey, Joe Jacobsen, Josh Magennis, Chris Gunter, James Collins, Robert Earnshaw, Joe Ledley, Adam Matthews.

Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:11 pm

DaveSheffield wrote:In response to your last paragraph: Aaron Ramsey, Joe Jacobsen, Josh Magennis, Chris Gunter, James Collins, Robert Earnshaw, Joe Ledley, Adam Matthews.

I really believe both brothers have the TRUE potential to go on to better things, but emphasising more attention to the younger brother!

eg. Gary Neville was always better than his brother! :lol: although, both great footballers.

Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:41 pm

it's ridiculou,s they should take them on and give them a chance...not question about his touch etc. how do they expect the academy to grow when they are being that fussy. unbelievable lol

Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:52 pm

TBH I would be more concerned if they hadn't looked at him at all. It seems they have and have doubts.
Rovers expectations aren't going to be as High as hours.

Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:52 pm

there's plenty of youngsters who individuals like you or me may think are good enough to make the grade, but that's not to say who's right...

its impossible to perfectly judge exactly which players are and arent good enough, without letting any slip away at all, weve just gotta hope that the scouts do what theyre paid to do and pick up as many as they can, because, at the end of the day, theyre paid to scout because theyre better than you and me and making these judgements...

these players may be excelling now, but that, by no means, means that theyre definitely gonna be good enough to make the grade, im sure theres plenty of other people who've seen other players who they think are good enough, just like you do about these 2 kids...

and considering our academy has produced a fair amount of players that have gone on to sign profession contracts, especially in comparison to some other academies, i think we should just let them get on with it....

Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:55 pm

2blue2handle wrote:TBH I would be more concerned if they hadn't looked at him at all. It seems they have and have doubts.
Rovers expectations aren't going to be as High as hours.

agree, but we shouldn't be looking for a messi or ronaldo. we should just take on players that are way above the standard that they expect and obviously they are from reading the thread. if they are that young they are obviously going to have their weaknesses. if they are not taken on because of something minor like they're touch with their weak foot then thats just plain stupidity.

Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:13 pm

merlin,

Get his parents to contact www.gsdsports.co.uk. They have far better scouts than Cardiff and will be able to assist in all matters.

At his age there is nothing to concern about as their is no rush at that age and to be honest he's better off playing with his mates and club team and not starting yet at an Academy any way . I know obviously you support the City but don't let that affect matters there are hundreds of other options much better too.

Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:03 pm

Daya wrote:merlin,

Get his parents to contact http://www.gsdsports.co.uk. They have far better scouts than Cardiff and will be able to assist in all matters.

At his age there is nothing to concern about as their is no rush at that age and to be honest he's better off playing with his mates and club team and not starting yet at an Academy any way . I know obviously you support the City but don't let that affect matters there are hundreds of other options much better too.

Totally agree Steve, let the kids enjoy the game playing with their mates. If they are good enough they will get their opportunity.
My boys (10+11) have had this season out with just a few soccer schools through the holidays and coaching through me. They are happy and have improved their game because there is NO pressure on them, they are biting at the bit to get back for next season completely refreshed.
AndyFS

Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:24 pm

WAS'NT BELLAMY PLAYING FOR CARDIFF SCHOOLS WHEN HE GOT SPOTTED BY
NORWICH,OR WAS IT BRIZZEL ROVERS, THEY ASKED IF THEY COULD TAKE A GOOD LOOK AT HIM...THE REST IS
HISTORY... :( :x :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:35 pm

Bluetaf wrote:
Daya wrote:merlin,

Get his parents to contact http://www.gsdsports.co.uk. They have far better scouts than Cardiff and will be able to assist in all matters.

Totally agree Steve, let the kids enjoy the game playing with their mates. If they are good enough they will get their opportunity.
My boys (10+11) have had this season out with just a few soccer schools through the holidays and coaching through me. They are happy and have improved their game because there is NO pressure on them, they are biting at the bit to get back for next season completely refreshed.
AndyFS

Hi Andy,

Natural talent and flair , balance , technique and vision never goes away and you don't need to travel the motorways of Britain for it flourish . Well done with the correct attitude with your boys !!

Academies are for the football clubs best interests not the kids , fear of loss to the future revenues is the main reason for them. One factor where the Premiership money has ruined the game.

Certain clubs go out with trawler nets these days instead of the decent scout with the single hook with time to study the pond.

Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:49 pm

As someone who was a part of the Cardiff City Academy I can tell it's poor. It was about 6/7 years ago (I was 12) now mind so I'm sure the system has changed. The problem was a a local level there. The coaches aren't just Cardiff City coaches and usually also coach a team in the district, the players in their local club get called up regardless of quality. I saw some shocking players coming through.

The bias in the coaching came through before games as well. Coaches would pick their players ahead of others and I rememeber well two GKs, one quite large, from a rough area, but was amazing in goal. The other was a small, but quite arrogant goalkeeper, who was terrible. The better GK was constantly overlooked and the worse was playing all the time. Suprise, suprise his dad was a coach.

There was also no effort made at all in regards to bringing the team together. I was the only player from my local team there and I was alienated something chronic. There were large groups of well established groups and then me. This meant being vocal on the pitch was 10x harder and the coaches couldn't care less about me, considering no one knew me.

They were also useless when it came to actually telling you what to do. I was a winger, I played everywhere but while there and was never told what to do. I remember the last time I played for them before being dropped and I was told to play centre mid. Fair enough I'd played there before. I was subbed soon after and the coach pulled me to one side and asked why I wasn't making any runs, I responded with "the other coach told me to play defensive midfielder", he looked confused and just told me I was supposed to be playing wing and that I have to run at players. He then lectured me for about 10 minutes while one of his players came on, played wing and constantly failed while running at players. This annoyed me as this was my forte, running at players with the ball was where I was at my best and the one time I get to show that I was told not too.

They then sent me a letter during the week telling me I'd be dropped. I was then shown my rating out of 5 in 3 areas. Recieving 2 out 5 in each one and told not to turn up for training. It sucked because at the time I was actually very good and had been offered a trials at Southampton and Everton, but my Grandmother died and the trials were too close to her funeral. In the end football became less and less of a priority to me and nowadays I only play with mates every now and again.

Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:54 pm

There is that many kids in similar positions though, the fact is some of them will slip through the net. It may be down to minor things but it's a chance you have to take at that age group. Some will come back to haunt you and the ones you take in their place may not develop the way they would have hoped but they just can't take on every kid that shows potential.

I played with boys who scored 50 a season 4 years on the trot and they couldn't even hack it at semi pro level up here. Wether it's down to skill, fitness or off field distractions when growing up we'll never know, but they didn't reach the level that their potential suggested they would.

If there is no kids coming through the ranks, that's when we should be concerned.

Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:18 pm

(If anyone with any say in academy or enrollment or anybody that can help with this - then contact me via pm and I will give you the names of the two lads, and their local teams - as I would love Cardiff to show more interest at looking at this pair of boys! - We've seen how Manchester Utd have on more than one occasion taken on BROTHERS as well as some other clubs - which can result in only a positive outlook on this topic!)

Leave it to the professionals mate, he might look good to you and his school, but if he's not good enough why waste our time. If Bristol want players not good enough for us thats fine, we will take the good boys and let them have the cast offs.........

Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:21 pm

MyNameIsAled wrote:As someone who was a part of the Cardiff City Academy I can tell it's poor. It was about 6/7 years ago (I was 12) now mind so I'm sure the system has changed. The problem was a a local level there. The coaches aren't just Cardiff City coaches and usually also coach a team in the district, the players in their local club get called up regardless of quality. I saw some shocking players coming through.

The bias in the coaching came through before games as well. Coaches would pick their players ahead of others and I rememeber well two GKs, one quite large, from a rough area, but was amazing in goal. The other was a small, but quite arrogant goalkeeper, who was terrible. The better GK was constantly overlooked and the worse was playing all the time. Suprise, suprise his dad was a coach.

There was also no effort made at all in regards to bringing the team together. I was the only player from my local team there and I was alienated something chronic. There were large groups of well established groups and then me. This meant being vocal on the pitch was 10x harder and the coaches couldn't care less about me, considering no one knew me.

They were also useless when it came to actually telling you what to do. I was a winger, I played everywhere but while there and was never told what to do. I remember the last time I played for them before being dropped and I was told to play centre mid. Fair enough I'd played there before. I was subbed soon after and the coach pulled me to one side and asked why I wasn't making any runs, I responded with "the other coach told me to play defensive midfielder", he looked confused and just told me I was supposed to be playing wing and that I have to run at players. He then lectured me for about 10 minutes while one of his players came on, played wing and constantly failed while running at players. This annoyed me as this was my forte, running at players with the ball was where I was at my best and the one time I get to show that I was told not too.

They then sent me a letter during the week telling me I'd be dropped. I was then shown my rating out of 5 in 3 areas. Recieving 2 out 5 in each one and told not to turn up for training. It sucked because at the time I was actually very good and had been offered a trials at Southampton and Everton, but my Grandmother died and the trials were too close to her funeral. In the end football became less and less of a priority to me and nowadays I only play with mates every now and again.

This is what makes me so angry as a coach,having coached for 16 years, if anything I am tougher on my boys and don't want to be seen as giving them any special treatment. My main aim is to develop each member of any of my teams as far as their ability allows, still giving them the feeling that are just as important as any other member of the squad no matter what ability they have.

Football coaching is just like this message board, full of different opinions no-one right no-one wrong, just an individual opinion.

All I can say to you is just go out and enjoy your football with a smile on your face, should you still want it the opportunity will arise and someone else with have a different opinion.

When that day arrives, look back and give them the bird, with a big smile :lol: