Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

** QPR EYE CARDIFF CITY STAR **

Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:54 am

QPR are weighing up an approach for Nigerian international Seyi Olofinjana as they gallop towards the final fence of a return to the Premiership.

The 30-year-old midfielder has totalled £8million in three transfers since his arrival in England, but only has one year left of his £22k-a-week contract at Hull City when he returns from his season-long loan at Cardiff.
Rangers boss Neil Warnock met chairman Gianni Paladini and former supremo Flavio Briatore on Tuesday to discuss the future, although the manager was keeping cards close to his chest about their chat.
"Flavio and Gianni are excited about our prospects as well they should be," said Warnock. "But needless to say I can’t go into detail about discussions at this stage."

But insiders at the club revealed the table-topping Rs are keen to line up players for a tilt at the top flight – with Olofinjana one of a number of targets that include Wolves' Kevin Doyle – as exclusively revealed by Chronicle sport.
The source said: "QPR need a mixture of athleticism and skill for next season, and although Olofinjana has had a mixed couple of years – look what the manager did for the careers of Heidar Helguson and Wayne Routledge to name but two."

http://qprblogger.blogspot.com/2011/04/ ... -star.html

Re: ** QPR EYE CARDIFF CITY STAR **

Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:55 am

You can do better than that with the money and position in London that you have surely?

Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:00 am

I would of thought so mate. If we are talking tough tackling busy centre midfielder I'd like to see us go for a Jamie o Hara type player although I believe he has it in his contract to sign permanently for Wolves should they stay up.

Thing is Zabier its only speculation for 1 & 2 Neil Warnock really does pull the very best out of players so I totally trust his judgement.

What's S.O. been like for you guys?

Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:06 am

I've felt he's at his best in a 4-5-1/4-3-3 where he has two central midfielders in front of him and his only duty is to sweep in front of the back four. However, in a flat 4-4-2 he can sometimes struggle with his positioning. I hope he stays though because I feel the 4-3-3, if used correctly can work better than the 4-4-2 in certain situations for us.

Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:08 am

Interesting timing of that report - destabilise a player of another team in contention...

We should get the FAW to charge them :lol:

Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:10 am

Thanx. Sounds like a more athletic, stronger Shaun Derry type.

I must admit though after reading the headline, when I clicked on it I was slightly disappointed. I was hoping to read the name of either, Bellamy, Chopra or even Bothroyd.

Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:12 am

Stan-QPR wrote:Thanx. Sounds like a more athletic, stronger Shaun Derry type.

I must admit though after reading the headline, when I clicked on it I was slightly disappointed. I was hoping to read the name of either, Bellamy, Chopra or even Bothroyd.

Shaun Derry isn't athletic??? Wow, learn something new every day. I thought he was the epitome of strength, speed and agility. :D

I'll be gutted about Bellamy leaving us at the end of the season purely because of his work rate and commitment levels. Even when he's having a bad game at least he tries. Chopra and Bothroyd I still think we could replace fairly reasonably but hope they stay.

Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:26 am

Oil is a good player BUT! prem ? I really think he would struggle there he is to slow for the prem and if QPR thinks they would get Doyle from Wolves , NO CHANCE full stop !

Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:36 am

Zabier wrote:
Stan-QPR wrote:Thanx. Sounds like a more athletic, stronger Shaun Derry type.

Shaun Derry isn't athletic??? Wow, learn something new every day. I thought he was the epitome of strength, speed and agility.

Forgive me. What i meant by saying Olofinjana is a 'more' athletic player I was referring to his physical attributes only. He is a lot bigger & clearly a stronger player than Derry.

But as you said Derry has been a revelation for us & he covers every blade of grass for the benefit of the team & I wouldn't swap him for a lot of younger centre midfielders.

Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:37 am

hes alright, hes pretty good when he performs/.

Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:38 am

Well, Derry must be doing something right if he's been ever present in a central midfield that is topping the Championship!

Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:09 am

Stan-QPR wrote:QPR are weighing up an approach for Nigerian international Seyi Olofinjana as they gallop towards the final fence of a return to the Premiership.

The 30-year-old midfielder has totalled £8million in three transfers since his arrival in England, but only has one year left of his £22k-a-week contract at Hull City when he returns from his season-long loan at Cardiff.
Rangers boss Neil Warnock met chairman Gianni Paladini and former supremo Flavio Briatore on Tuesday to discuss the future, although the manager was keeping cards close to his chest about their chat.
"Flavio and Gianni are excited about our prospects as well they should be," said Warnock. "But needless to say I can’t go into detail about discussions at this stage."

But insiders at the club revealed the table-topping Rs are keen to line up players for a tilt at the top flight – with Olofinjana one of a number of targets that include Wolves' Kevin Doyle – as exclusively revealed by Chronicle sport.
The source said: "QPR need a mixture of athleticism and skill for next season, and although Olofinjana has had a mixed couple of years – look what the manager did for the careers of Heidar Helguson and Wayne Routledge to name but two."

"Done for the career of Routledge" ????

You're having a laugh!! Routledge MAY have had a tough time latterly at Why Aye United, BUT there is NO WAY, SHAPE or FORM Warnock can take the credit for Routledge's current form....

In the Championship he is a class act, as he showed in his short time with the mighy Bluebirds....

That he chose NOT to stay will HAUNT him to the end....look where he ended up!!

:ayatollah: :lol: :ayatollah: :lol: :ayatollah: :lol: :ayatollah: :lol: :ayatollah: :lol:

Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:24 am

nerd wrote:Interesting timing of that report - destabilise a player of another team in contention...

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:25 am

Stan-QPR wrote:QPR are weighing up an approach for Nigerian international Seyi Olofinjana as they gallop towards the final fence of a return to the Premiership.

If that is the case then it sound more QPR promotion is more business than ambition

Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:00 pm

I hear Bellamy is looking for Premiership football again next year Stan!! :lol: :lol: :lol: A snip at 90k+ a week.

Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:04 pm

baseboy007 wrote:I hear Bellamy is looking for Premiership football again next year Stan!! :lol: :lol: :lol: A snip at 90k+ a week.

Going by this years performances I think we'll pass on that one!

No all jokes aside, Bellamy would be a massive asset to any side & I believe his brain is that bit to good for this league & will see him back to his best next season in the Prem.

Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:05 pm

Oli aint the right replacement for Taarabt tbf....

Real Madrid in negotiations for Adel Taarabt
http://www.marca.com/2011/04/08/futbol/equipos/real_madrid/1302272808.html

Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:39 pm

Real madrid or Chelsea's second team.

Tough choice.

Wouldn't want to be Warnock if Taarabt wants out and throws his toys out of the pram...

Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:56 pm

If Taarabt leaves he leaves that's football.

I'd love him to stay for sheer entertainment value but could he do in the Prem what he's done this year in the Championship? I very much doubt it. If he stays great let's see what he can do.

If not he has played a massive part in getting us back into the Premier League for the mere sum of £1m, we will get at least 6 times that I'd imagine.

Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:41 pm

Nah he wont play in division 3 :old:

Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:44 pm

Olofinjana is, in my opinion, good enough for a top half Premier League team, i think he is absolutely outstanding and makes such a difference to our team when he's playing... id be devastated if we dont sign him permanently, in fact the only player id be more gutted to lose is Super Kev

Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:03 pm

stan, we got an offer on at the moment, 10 million for mc fail, and get gaving rae free, bargain :ayatollah:

Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:17 pm

nerd wrote:Interesting timing of that report - destabilise a player of another team in contention...

or, does it spur them on, ?

Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:36 pm

I heard it was Lee Naylor Stan you was after :lol: :lol: :lol: