Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

YOU REALLY HAVE TO FEEL FOR THEM

Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:47 am

Portsmouth and their Fans, those Fans from the OLD days will know We have a lot in Common with them, Passion/same sort of Fan base/been through it all the lower division/lads( :lol: ) and WE HAVE A LOT OF RESPECT for each other.

I hope We dont go the same way as them.

Re: YOU REALLY HAVE TO FEEL FOR THEM

Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:48 am

They may not have a club to support any day now - such a shame we have a lot in common with them as you say.

Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:52 am

I hear today that John Utaka is on £80k a week!!! That really is shocking and the blame for this really has to go to the people there who thought that by having a wage bill that is 90% of their turnover made sound economic and business sense.

I really do hate the way football clubs are being used in this way. I was watching Ray winstone on Soccer AM yesterday benoaning the fact that football clubs were once part of the community. He's absolutely right. It's something that these people should take into account and, at the bottom of it are Sky and the chairmen who originally thought up the concept of the Premier League

Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:53 am

Nottage Blue wrote:I hear today that John Utaka is on £80k a week!!! That really is shocking and the blame for this really has to go to the people there who thought that by having a wage bill that is 90% of their turnover made sound economic and business sense.

I really do hate the way football clubs are being used in this way. I was watching Ray winstone on Soccer AM yesterday benoaning the fact that football clubs were once part of the community. He's absolutely right. It's something that these people should take into account and, at the bottom of it are Sky and the chairmen who originally thought up the concept of the Premier League

I reckon from next Season, Players Wages on the whole will Def come down, Banks have had enough.

Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:59 am

I was saying to my mate earlier that players should be on performance related pay. How can a player who is at a club at the bottom of the league and not particularly standing out either, be paid the same, and sometimes more, than a player who is keeping his team at the top, or near the top of the Premiership? It wouldn't happen in any other industry or business

Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:23 pm

I reckon within 2 seasons we will have wage caps (and possibly a draft system rather than transfers) throughout the leagues. May result in a couple of clubs like Chelski going off into a Euro super league but for 90%++ of real football fans would we care if they did?

Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:39 pm

Alan Sugar made a famous comment years ago. When he was Chairman of Spurs he was part of the Premier League negotiation team when they were in talks with Sky over renewing the TV deal.

Apparently the 2 sides were a few million pounds apart and Sugar broke the deadlock by telling his fellow Chairmen "It doesn't matter how much we get out of Sky it will all get pissed up against the wall with agent fees and players wages"

That's still true today and we often we hear that our salvation lies with promotion to the Premier League where £30m is waiting for us. I'm sure Hull thought the same 2 years ago, but they are in more financial shit now than they have ever been. Apparently they have mortgaged their TV monies for the next 2 years just so they can pay their wage bill now.

The same thing will happen to us if we get promoted. If we try to sign anyone once in the PL the first thing we will get hit with is massive agent fees and player wages and that's before any transfer fees.

That's where football's problems lay, player and agent wages. It is well over due that Chairman stand up to player demands, espically in our league where an average player like Capaldi earns £8,000 P/W

Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:42 pm

Its mad to think how much of a finacial mess Portsmouth and Cardiff have got themselves in since the cup final.

Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:41 pm

nobby wrote:Its mad to think how much of a finacial mess Portsmouth and Cardiff have got themselves in since the cup final.

It is and were 2 Great Clubs .

Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:41 pm

Tony Blue Williams wrote:Alan Sugar made a famous comment years ago. When he was Chairman of Spurs he was part of the Premier League negotiation team when they were in talks with Sky over renewing the TV deal.

Apparently the 2 sides were a few million pounds apart and Sugar broke the deadlock by telling his fellow Chairmen "It doesn't matter how much we get out of Sky it will all get pissed up against the wall with agent fees and players wages"

That's still true today and we often we hear that our salvation lies with promotion to the Premier League where £30m is waiting for us. I'm sure Hull thought the same 2 years ago, but they are in more financial shit now than they have ever been. Apparently they have mortgaged their TV monies for the next 2 years just so they can pay their wage bill now.

The same thing will happen to us if we get promoted. If we try to sign anyone once in the PL the first thing we will get hit with is massive agent fees and player wages and that's before any transfer fees.

That's where football's problems lay, player and agent wages. It is well over due that Chairman stand up to player demands, espically in our league where an average player like Capaldi earns £8,000 P/W

Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:56 pm

The one thing I like about the NFL here is the Salary Cap for players.
The sooner we adapt this the better.
If it means that the diving foreigners choose to play elsewhere...so be it.
Time for FIFA to act.

Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:00 pm

Wash DC Blue wrote:The one thing I like about the NFL here is the Salary Cap for players.
The sooner we adapt this the better.
If it means that the diving foreigners choose to play elsewhere...so be it.
Time for FIFA to act.

We need to Cap their salaries now rather than later here.

Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:48 pm

its a pity to see any club in that position, its not good for football, we definately need pay capped for footballers,
what is happening to portsmouth will soon happen to many other clubs.

Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:02 pm

It will never happen because Club Chairman dont trust each other.

They could all agree to cap wages but as soon as they are back negotiating with players and agents they will soon be offering them the earth to get the player.

and the never ending circle starts again.

As much as I agree there should be a cap unfortunately I cant ever see it happening.