Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

" Match report Sheff Utd v Cardiff C 12 April 2011 "

Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:29 pm

Whatever your feelings about the club Sheffield United you have to admit that they can be considered a big club. A club that should be firmly in the premiership, perhaps chasing a top 4. Well I certainly think that so I was quite intrigued by the place as I stood amongst the 600 travelling Cardiff fans last night. Intrigued because the status of the club and its fans is just not there anymore. The feeling of the place was on a par to being at say Doncaster or Scunthorpe. The club has lost its place in the hierarchy of football circles.

Cardiff defended the goal in front of their supporters for the first half. I got to my seat just before kickoff but did not recognise the keeper. So a quick glance at his name on the back of his shirt told me it was Bywaters. That was my first surprise. Another glance at the players and I saw Naylor’s name. My immediate thought was that we are taking this team at the bottom of the league for granted. That worried me but then when Bywaters turned to us away fans and raised his fists in a gesture to us to get behind the team that believe it or not raised my spirits. Perhaps he and Naylor were going to prove something to us.

From the kick off it soon became clear that the pacey Cardiff attack where going to be a dominant force in this game. Each team seemed comfortable playing the ball across their back line but when it came to advancing on your opponent’s goal the home side could not produce any kind of opening. It was a different story for the away side as Bellamy and Bothroyd unsettled the home defence with their quick work.
The first real chance was created by Bellamy on the 10 minute mark as he picked up a ball outside the penalty area, cut inside and from 18 yards sent a powerful low shot across the goal. The home sides keepers managed to get down low and making a fine one handed save.
However the keeper was helpless from a Burke corner that Bothroyd got his head to. Fortunately for him the ball was headed off the line by one of his defenders.
Cardiff dominated this period of the game and took a well deserved lead on the 21st minute when again and from the same position Bellamy cut inside and pass his marker to send another low drive across the goal. The ball took a wicked deflection leaving the home keeper no chance of saving the goal.
On the half hour mark Bellamy nearly doubled the lead. Burke picked up the ball and sent a defence splitting pass to Bellamy who had moved into space in the penalty area. With only the keeper to beat his shot was tipped around the post.
The home side desperately tried to attack the Cardiff goal but were left with either long efforts or long crosses that were hopefully pumped into the Cardiff area. One long effort from 20 yards hit Bothroyd square in the face. Moments later Bothroyd made a run into the Blades area but went down looking for the penalty. As expected it was not given.
The Blades then had their best chance to equalise as a low cross beat the Cardiff backline. The Cardiff defence could only watch as an outstretched Sheffield leg just failed to make contact with the ball.
Just before half time Bellamy had another chance to increase the lead. Bothroyd picked out Bellamy with a pass just inside the area but the Cardiff captain volleyed the ball over the goal.

With Cardiff going into the second half 1 up the home side came out the strongest. From a corner they should have equalised with a clean header but the effort went straight to Bywaters.
The Blades tried to open up the Cardiff defence with some slick passing in midfield but were forced to wide and send long crosses into the area of which Bywaters had no problem collecting.
One passing movement though did create an opening and it was the unexpected Bothroyd who made a last ditch tackle against a Blades forward who was about to unleash a shot from 12 yards. Moments later it was McNaughton turn to save the day with a last gasp tackle from inside the area. Bywater had another header aimed straight at him which he saved easily.
To stem this Sheffield pressure Jay Emmanuel Thomas came on for McPhail and it had its desired effect. Cardiff started to take the initiative again with the busy Bellamy and Burke making runs down the wings. From one of these runs Burke sent a tempting cross into the Sheffield danger area. However a sea of red Sheffield United shirts seemed to have it covered but from nowhere JET bulldozed his way in, got his head to the cross and from 6 yards double the Cardiff lead.
For the rest of the game, 20 minutes of it, Cardiff was never troubled. Bellamy kept the home defence busy, McNaughton tied up any threatening attack and Bywater collected any long crosses coming towards the Cardiff goal. For the first time in quite a while the away support were enjoying their team’s effort and you could feel the confidence amongst everyone.
The referee brought the game to an end with the score 2-0 to the Cardiff. A number of the players came over to the supporters and it felt just like the old days. For once it felt like we were all in it together.

Summing up. All of a sudden we find ourselves in an auto spot and there are only 5 games to go. So we are close again to the promise land. What got me last night was the fact we were in a stadium with a club that perhaps should be part of the promise land. Well I just felt we are about to step forward and replace them as the team or club that should be there.

Re: " Match report Sheff Utd v Cardiff C 12 April 2011 "

Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:32 am

Great Match Report Ian :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:37 am

Ian you are quickly becoming the Stuart Hall of the message board football report fraternity .......... great report and your getting better with each 1 , maybe Barrie needs to use you for the match programme ?? :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:54 am

Vintage 63 wrote:Ian you are quickly becoming the Stuart Hall of the message board football report fraternity .......... great report and your getting better with each 1 , maybe Barrie needs to use you for the match programme ?? :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Cheers Martyn.

If they bring "It's a knockout back" and invite me to commentate then I know I have made it.

Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:07 pm

Ian, LOok forward to todays Match Report :ayatollah: :ayatollah: