Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Ricky Hatton

Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:04 am

having a few jars with him, fck me hes a lad!

Re: Ricky Hatton

Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:17 am

Did you keep up, drinking with him, I heard he can put a few away :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:34 am

His dinner shows are a great laugh. He also likes to do a bit of stand up

Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:45 am

Shame his boxing wasnt half as good as his drinking

Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:55 am

His love for a pint did let him down. But one thing I respect about Hatton is, he took on the top boxers in their prime. Unlike Joe who only fought the big names on their way down or when they got old.

Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:40 am

ackers1927 wrote:His love for a pint did let him down. But one thing I respect about Hatton is, he took on the top boxers in their prime. Unlike Joe who only fought the big names on their way down or when they got old.

Bit unfair mate

Lacey and Kessler were bang in their prime

Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:45 am

cs_original wrote:
ackers1927 wrote:His love for a pint did let him down. But one thing I respect about Hatton is, he took on the top boxers in their prime. Unlike Joe who only fought the big names on their way down or when they got old.

Bit unfair mate

lacey and kessler were,but i was disappointed with his last 2 opponents he had.there were bigger fights out there than legendry has-beens.i would liked have seen joe fight hopkins n jones in their prime.They would have been more entertaining fights

Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:56 am

boxerbob wrote:
cs_original wrote:

Bit unfair mate

lacey and kessler were,but i was disappointed with his last 2 opponents he had.there were bigger fights out there than legendry has-beens.i would liked have seen joe fight hopkins n jones in their prime.They would have been more entertaining fights

Think you'll find that Hopkins & Jones, both avoided fighting Joe! :? :ayatollah:

Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:28 pm

never heard that before,i learn something new everyday on here :ayatollah:

Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:37 pm

If. Joe wanted the fight to happen.he should have got to America earlier to fight them, like Hatton did. Hopkins and Roy Jones were too big in their prime for Joe to tell them to fight over here. Those fights would have been classics if they had happened but sadly they didn't.

Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:00 pm

Hatton?.....very overated.....average at best and shown to be well out of his depth

Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:04 pm

TonyBlues wrote:Hatton?.....very overated.....average at best and shown to be well out of his depth

I agree. Got found out bid style. You don't see the likes of Mayweater drinking ponty and putting 3 or 4 stone on inbetween fights. But I respect Hatton for going over America and fighting these guys in their prime.

Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:05 pm

That was a bit unfair Chief. The top boxers avoided him and he was the one that was left frustrated and found it hard to motivate himself because of the lack of decent opposition. The difference with Ricky Hatton the best boxers at his weight didn't duck him because they didn't fear him. Harsh but its also true. Joe was and still is a legend the difference is they avoided Joe because they knew they were unlikely to beat him. The ones that was the best around who had the bottle and belief to take him on was Lacey (the best performance from a fighter i have ever seen) and Kessler were both beaten.

P.S Daya is it true they call you Yelowpages because you know every one :lol: :lol: :lol:

Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:57 pm

I've got alot of respect for hatton, unlike other world class boxers he is just an ordinary guy who likes a pint and can let himself go,
but he can still mix it with the best.
he is the one fighter who inspired me you can still enjoy yourself and let yourself go and box to the best of your ability providing tyou give yourself that 2 month break it doesn't all have to be boring strict diet no drinking

Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:43 pm

ccfc_cotta wrote:I've got alot of respect for hatton, unlike other world class boxers he is just an ordinary guy who likes a pint and can let himself go,
he is the one fighter who inspired me you can still enjoy yourself and let yourself go and box to the best of your ability providing tyou give yourself that 2 month break it doesn't all have to be boring strict diet no drinking

That is the difference between a very good boxer and a great like Mayweather and Paquio. Had Hatton had the will the Professionalism of those two he may have been a great himself. The truth was he abused his body big time in between fights and you can't do that. And to be honest that was exposed against the above two and Hatton knows that. He made his money but did he fulfill his full potential ? No he didn't. He was game as f**k there is no denying that Chief but should he be looked up to by up and coming boxers ? Definitely not. The all time greats did not in any way abuse there bodies like Hatton and i think he will regret that.

Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:08 pm

Hope you are not doing white lines with him Daya.

Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:20 pm

Nuclearblue wrote:
ccfc_cotta wrote:I've got alot of respect for hatton, unlike other world class boxers he is just an ordinary guy who likes a pint and can let himself go,

That is the difference between a very good boxer and a great like Mayweather and Paquio. Had Hatton had the will the Professionalism of those two he may have been a great himself. The truth was he abused his body big time in between fights and you can't do that. And to be honest that was exposed against the above two and Hatton knows that. He made his money but did he fulfill his full potential ? No he didn't. He was game as f**k there is no denying that Chief but should he be looked up to by up and coming boxers ? Definitely not. The all time greats did not in any way abuse there bodies like Hatton and i think he will regret that.

No he's not a great role model but as a Champion they dont come much more hardcore than hatton, he had everythin from boxing ability to being a real people person,
It takes a certain type of person to Isolate yourself and dedicate your life to training with everything that comes with all the success and money.
the likes of mayweather, calazaghe, pacquiou, Khan have had alot of family discipline through their upbringing

Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:11 pm

Top Top fella i know hes not everyones cup ot tea but what a top fella and a right scream.

Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:33 pm

Calzaghe was a homer.Stayed at home and fought WBO mandatory's ^bums*.Only when he knew that he could beat the real greats in the division did he chose to 'get it on' with them.

OK,he beat a overhyped Lacy and looked good doing it,without knocking him out but he took the easy route throughout his career Joe and it will cost him ultimately as he'll never be known as a true great outside of Wales.

As for hatton,well if Joe had his self belief then we might be talking about an all time great.

Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:45 pm

blackswan wrote:Calzaghe was a homer.Stayed at home and fought WBO mandatory's ^bums*.Only when he knew that he could beat the real greats in the division did he chose to 'get it on' with them.

OK,he beat a overhyped Lacy and looked good doing it,without knocking him out but he took the easy route throughout his career Joe and it will cost him ultimately as he'll never be known as a true great outside of Wales.

As for hatton,well if Joe had his self belief then we might be talking about an all time great.

Sorry Chief i can't agree with your views there. Lacey was the best out there at the time and he was touted as pound for pound best fighter in the world.

Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:52 pm

Nuclearblue wrote:
blackswan wrote:Calzaghe was a homer.Stayed at home and fought WBO mandatory's ^bums*.Only when he knew that he could beat the real greats in the division did he chose to 'get it on' with them.

Sorry Chief i can't agree with your views there. Lacey was the best out there at the time and he was touted as pound for pound best fighter in the world.

And look at him now,all washed up.Totally over-hyped he was.Check his record and before he fought Joe there's hardly a name on there you'd recognise.Jeff 'Left Hook' Lacy by fook. :?

Joe's best scalps were Kessler and then Hopkins,who both went on to achieve things after they fought Joe.Lacy went into meltdown.He was useless imo.

Calazghe was a great fighter but he lacked the ego and self belief to be a true Hall of Famer.

Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:56 pm

blackswan wrote:
Nuclearblue wrote:

And look at him now,all washed up.Totally over-hyped he was.Check his record and before he fought Joe there's hardly a name on there you'd recognise.Jeff 'Left Hook' Lacy by fook. :?

Joe's best scalps were Kessler and then Hopkins,who both went on to achieve things after they fought Joe.Lacy went into meltdown.He was useless imo.

Calazghe was a great fighter but he lacked the ego and self belief to be a true Hall of Famer.

Maybe so now but what fighters was out there for him ? There was a lack of decent super Middleweights but also Hopkins was ducking him. Lacey was finished after that fight. No fighter would come back after that Chief.

Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:07 pm

Nucleurblue,sorry too many quotes.

True enough,but he could have fought Roy Jones,they were both at their peak around the time.Jones went up and down the weights like a yoyo winning belts,ducking no one along the way.Im sure he'd have fancied a go at Joe.

Frank Warren sculptured Joe's career.He must have made him obscene amounts of money down the years.20 odd defences weren't it? :D He should have given Robin Reid a rematch but never did.Kessler in Denmark might have been interesting.And even a finale fight against Carl Froch.Now that would have been very interesting.All reasons why i think Joe just falls short of being 'great'.

Just my opinion of course. 8-)

Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:13 pm

blackswan wrote:Nucleurblue,sorry too many quotes.

True enough,but he could have fought Roy Jones,they were both at their peak around the time.Jones went up and down the weights like a yoyo winning belts,ducking no one along the way.Im sure he'd have fancied a go at Joe.

Frank Warren sculptured Joe's career.He must have made him obscene amounts of money down the years.20 odd defences weren't it? :D He should have given Robin Reid a rematch but never did.Kessler in Denmark might have been interesting.And even a finale fight against Carl Froch.Now that would have been very interesting.All reasons why i think Joe just falls short of being 'great'.

Just my opinion of course. 8-)

SOME INTERESTING POINTS CHIEF :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:13 pm

Froch is not in the same class as Calazaghe was.