Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

The CCS accoustics?

Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:46 am

Are they the worst that you have ever experienced? I ask this, because i have seen various threads from those that stand and sing in either the Ninian stand or the Canton stand, both proclaim to be the louder, of the two. However having stood and sung in ninian 117 for the last 2 seasons, I can very rarely hear the Canton make much noise. They undoubtedly are, so what's happening to the noise? it must just be evaporating, as it must be from the Ninian. People have blamed the poor atmosphere at the CCS, on supporters being made to sit, over zealous stewarding or moving the more vociferous fans to the other end of the ground away from the away fans, or as it's a new stadium, supporters being split form those that they used to feel comfortable with at Ninian Park. However, after what i thought was a good atmosphere on Saturday, I am now coming around to thinking that its more the way the stadium has been constructed as being the biggest influence. But, why is this, as its all enclosed with fairly low roofs, its pretty conventional in design. Is it possible that the plastic cladding, which other grounds don't have lets out the noise too easily or perhaps the open spaces at each corner have a major effect? It would be good if there's anyone on here, who has a construction or some form of scientifc knowledge who has an opinion on this. :ayatollah:

Re: The CCS accoustics?

Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:54 am

Having recently sat in the Grandstand vs Barnsley I thought they were as loud as each other.

All seater stadia and reserved seating are killing the atmosphere at many grounds up and down the country. The way the roofs are now built does not help either, with the old sheds keeping noise inside the grpund, the newer ones are built upwards to allow for light on the playing surface and the noise just floats out.

Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:58 am

Leytonstoneblue wrote:Are they the worst that you have ever experienced? I ask this, because i have seen various threads from those that stand and sing in either the Ninian stand or the Canton stand, both proclaim to be the louder, of the two. However having stood and sung in ninian 117 for the last 2 seasons, I can very rarely hear the Canton make much noise. They undoubtedly are, so what's happening to the noise? it must just be evaporating, as it must be from the Ninian. People have blamed the poor atmosphere at the CCS, on supporters being made to sit, over zealous stewarding or moving the more vociferous fans to the other end of the ground away from the away fans, or as it's a new stadium, supporters being split form those that they used to feel comfortable with at Ninian Park. However, after what i thought was a good atmosphere on Saturday, I am now coming around to thinking that its more the way the stadium has been constructed as being the biggest influence. But, why is this, as its all enclosed with fairly low roofs, its pretty conventional in design. Is it possible that the plastic cladding, which other grounds don't have lets out the noise too easily or perhaps the open spaces at each corner have a major effect? It would be good if there's anyone on here, who has a construction or some form of scientifc knowledge who has an opinion on this. :ayatollah:

You may have a point. I was in the Canton and the atmosphere was one of the best of the season. Some fans in the Ninian stated that Pompey sang well, I could bearly hear Pompey in the Canton.
But look at our 2nd leg play off last season against Leicester and you will realise that that atmosphere was better than most days at Ninian Park because everyone in the ground sang including the grandstand. It needs all our fans to sing together and hopefully we get an early goal Saturday to prove the point and get the ground rocking. :ayatollah:

Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:33 am

MalagaCF wrote:
Leytonstoneblue wrote:Are they the worst that you have ever experienced? I ask this, because i have seen various threads from those that stand and sing in either the Ninian stand or the Canton stand, both proclaim to be the louder, of the two. However having stood and sung in ninian 117 for the last 2 seasons, I can very rarely hear the Canton make much noise. They undoubtedly are, so what's happening to the noise? it must just be evaporating, as it must be from the Ninian. People have blamed the poor atmosphere at the CCS, on supporters being made to sit, over zealous stewarding or moving the more vociferous fans to the other end of the ground away from the away fans, or as it's a new stadium, supporters being split form those that they used to feel comfortable with at Ninian Park. However, after what i thought was a good atmosphere on Saturday, I am now coming around to thinking that its more the way the stadium has been constructed as being the biggest influence. But, why is this, as its all enclosed with fairly low roofs, its pretty conventional in design. Is it possible that the plastic cladding, which other grounds don't have lets out the noise too easily or perhaps the open spaces at each corner have a major effect? It would be good if there's anyone on here, who has a construction or some form of scientifc knowledge who has an opinion on this. :ayatollah:

You may have a point. I was in the Canton and the atmosphere was one of the best of the season. Some fans in the Ninian stated that Pompey sang well, I could bearly hear Pompey in the Canton.
But look at our 2nd leg play off last season against Leicester and you will realise that that atmosphere was better than most days at Ninian Park because everyone in the ground sang including the grandstand. It needs all our fans to sing together and hopefully we get an early goal Saturday to prove the point and get the ground rocking. :ayatollah:

That's the point though Malaga, you guys in the Canton obviously sing your hearts out, but we can barely hear you at our end of the Ninian, and at times it was rocking in 116, 117, and 118 of the Ninian on Saturday, but by the mere fact that the Canton stand didn''t join in with us, it obviously means that you can hardly hear us either. It means to me that our supporters haven't lost the passion from ninian Park, they are just being made to work twice as hard to generate a decent atmosphere.

Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:45 am

I sit in the family stand and my explanation is that sound and light travel at different speeds.Basically e can all see eachother singing but by the time we start ourselves the song is over because of the delay between the two set (sound and light) whilst in Ninian the vocal ends grange and the bob bank grange end were closer so the difference weren't so much.
I still think swapping the family with the canton would be the way to go.It would bring back some of the atmosphere and make it like ninian i.e. more intimidating

Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:56 am

I sit in the canton and I can tell you for sure we sing our hearts out there, and its very hard to hear the Ninian, but we can hear the away fans alot better than the Ninian boys. As I said it sounds so dead in the NInian some time ,that we can hear ANNis talking about his 4 winning bets. :lol:

Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:00 pm

Leytonstoneblue wrote:
MalagaCF wrote:

That's the point though Malaga, you guys in the Canton obviously sing your hearts out, but we can barely hear you at our end of the Ninian, and at times it was rocking in 116, 117, and 118 of the Ninian on Saturday, but by the mere fact that the Canton stand didn''t join in with us, it obviously means that you can hardly hear us either. It means to me that our supporters haven't lost the passion from ninian Park, they are just being made to work twice as hard to generate a decent atmosphere.

Yes we couldnt hear you much either - strange init? Its the supporters between the Canton and 116-118 that are quiet. :oops:

Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:51 pm

I think there might be something in the acoustics the noise is definately being lost in the stadium. From the Canton every game I see away fans clapping and bouncing around obviously singing but in the Canton I cant hear any chants from them. Only when its full i.e Swansea or Newcastle in the away end do you just about hear a muted noise from the away end, The Ninian block lads again plenty of arm waving and obviously chanting but we cant hear them in the Canton. And........its vice versa by all accounts, Its all a bit strange really !!! barmy army :ayatollah:

Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:31 pm

maybe if we go up and our stadium is upgraded to 2 tiers that might help

Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:17 pm

I sit in 113 and both canton and ninian sounded great.

Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:26 pm

The stadium is not having a second tier yet. It will be extended by knocking down the cantons back wall and putting seat there.

Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:40 am

dropebluebird wrote:The stadium is not having a second tier yet. It will be extended by knocking down the cantons back wall and putting seat there.

Who said that?

Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:40 pm

Elwood Blues wrote:
dropebluebird wrote:The stadium is not having a second tier yet. It will be extended by knocking down the cantons back wall and putting seat there.

Who said that?

I have my sources (i know a steward down there) this guy is like a "quadrant commander" .
Also they will extend the away end into the family area

Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:28 pm

dropebluebird wrote:
Elwood Blues wrote:

Who said that?

I have my sources (i know a steward down there) this guy is like a "quadrant commander" .
Also they will extend the away end into the family area

I have no reason to doubt you mate and if you are correct then old G Jenkins was telling one or two porkies not so long ago.

Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:42 pm

Also they will extend the away end into the family area [/quote]

I have no reason to doubt you mate and if you are correct then old G Jenkins was telling one or two porkies not so long ago.[/quote]
Sorry mate i don't quite get where your coming from on that