Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

McNaughton Or Hudson?

Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:35 pm

With Kev going off injured yesterday and Hudson making a return to the team, I was wondering whether people had a preference over which one they'd prefer to play at centre back, should Kev be fit for next weeks games!

There is also the possibility that DJ could move Kev back to one of the full back slots and omit Quinny, or JLS instead!

IMO, I'd prefer Kev to Hudson, as even though we'd have a bit more of an aerial capability with Hudson, Kev would give us that much needed pace, that we may well need against Middlebrough!

I'm not too sure about the Burnley game though, as I think we may well need Hudson there, to combat the aerial threat of Iwelumo (and possibly Thompson when he comes on), although I seem to remember Hudson struggling against Iwelumo at home, although it was a lack of concentration for Thompson's goal, that cost us 2 points on the day!

Changed my mind on this one, Kev for both games for me! :) :ayatollah:

Re: McNaughton Or Hudson?

Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:37 pm

Them both? but it's hard one as quinn/sam have done good job imo so really hard choice for jonesy but i wouldn't change a unbeaten side :ayatollah:

Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:39 pm

Overthemoon wrote:With Kev going off injured yesterday and Hudson making a return to the team, I was wondering whether people had a preference over which one they'd prefer to play at centre back, should Kev be fit for next weeks games!

There is also the possibility that DJ could move Kev back to one of the full back slots and omit Quinny, or JLS instead!

IMO, I'd prefer Kev to Hudson, as even though we'd have a bit more of an aerial capability with Hudson, Kev would give us that much needed pace, that we may well need against Middlebrough!

I'm not too sure about the Burnley game though, as I think we may well need Hudson there, to combat the aerial threat of Iwelumo (and possibly Thompson when he comes on), although I seem to remember Hudson struggling against Iwelumo at home, although it was a lack of concentration for Thompson's goal, that cost us 2 points on the day!

Changed my mind on this one, Kev for both games for me! :) :ayatollah:

McNaughton all the way. No offence to Hudson, he did ok when he came on but its the
Keinan/McNaughton combination thats got us so close. It suited us Hudson there for that
last ten minutes with them hoofing it up the middle, but if Kevin is fit he MUST play at
Centre Back

Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:43 pm

i heard that kev only went of with cramp and not injured so i would keep the back four as is :ayatollah:

Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:48 pm

Hudson. Love Kev to death but I'd never play a lad of 5'8" and of slight build at CB. Hudson/ Keinan/ Gypes would not have been brushed aside by Tatwat for QPR's second goal. If they're both fit, Huson at CB and Kev at LB. No brainer IMHO.

Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:50 pm

See how McNaughton is come monday, I think I'd prefer him to start as Hudson is lacking game time recently but don't doubt he wont slot back in easy enough.

At least we have these decisions to make rather than have no strength in depth at all.

Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:00 pm

McNaughton all the way. No offence to Hudson, he did ok when he came on but its the
Keinan/McNaughton combination thats got us so close. It suited us Hudson there for that
last ten minutes with them hoofing it up the middle, but if Kevin is fit he MUST play at
Centre Back

I believe changing the defence for the last 2 games of the season isnt a great idea, the Keinan/McNaughton combination has been excellent so far, they really do complement each other, whereas Hudson and Keinan are too similar in my opinion. But they did well in last 10 mins against Preston with all that aerial bombardment, and the poor ref decisions.

However, having Hudson and Chopra returning on the bench has only stengtened the options which are available for DJ which is only good for the team and has proved in the 2nd half against Preston there were tired bodies on the pitch. Stick to the formation we currently been using for past few games.

COME ON FELLOW BLUEBIRDS, LETS NOT BE NEGATIVE, ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!!!!! :ayatollah:

Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:11 pm

I would keep it the same if Kev is fit.

Huds did well when he came on and it was goood to get 45 minutes into him and we know that he's fit to come in if we need him.

Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:15 pm

Difficult one to call.

If Hudson is 100% match fit then I would bring him back into central defence. I would then put McNaughton next to Hudson in one of the full back positions.

Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:21 pm

Lost Profits wrote:Hudson. Love Kev to death but I'd never play a lad of 5'8" and of slight build at CB. Hudson/ Keinan/ Gypes would not have been brushed aside by Tatwat for QPR's second goal. If they're both fit, Huson at CB and Kev at LB. No brainer IMHO.

I do'nt think Boro have got a player in "Tatwat's" league.

Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:22 pm

Lost Profits wrote:Hudson. Love Kev to death but I'd never play a lad of 5'8" and of slight build at CB. Hudson/ Keinan/ Gypes would not have been brushed aside by Tatwat for QPR's second goal. If they're both fit, Huson at CB and Kev at LB. No brainer IMHO.

Kev is 5ft 10"!!! Ratcliffe was only 5ft 11", Cannavarro is only 5ft 9 1/2"

Tatwats second goal was a fluke, the bounce beat them both but as Taraabt turned the
ball was there for him on a plate. Could just have easily bounced in front of Kev.

What you forget is that QPR did not make much headway with surging runs through the
middle, or with midfielders coming in on late runs. McNaughton gives the three in front
of him a lot more confidence. Keinan didnt have his best game but has become more
commanding in the air, chiefly because he knows that if he doesnt win the header,
he has a man with real pace behind him to tidy up.

Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:38 pm

taffyapple wrote:

Kev is 5ft 10"!!! Ratcliffe was only 5ft 11", Cannavarro is only 5ft 9 1/2"

Tatwats second goal was a fluke, the bounce beat them both but as Taraabt turned the
ball was there for him on a plate. Could just have easily bounced in front of Kev.

What you forget is that QPR did not make much headway with surging runs through the
middle, or with midfielders coming in on late runs. McNaughton gives the three in front
of him a lot more confidence. Keinan didnt have his best game but has become more
commanding in the air, chiefly because he knows that if he doesnt win the header,
he has a man with real pace behind him to tidy up.

Kev must have poor posture!! If he's 5'10" so be it. As I said I think he's a terrifc player but for me he's a full back. My comments on the physical side of being a CB were based on many years coaching and selecting teams and it's only my opinion. As for Mr Ratcliffe I'm well aware he wasn't one of the 6' plus club but he was built like a f*cking wardrobe. You can add William Gallas and Ricardo Carvahlo to the list of sub 6' CB's but by Christ they're physically strong and I still think by a big physical guy would have knocked the fat Morrocan tw*t and the ball into row Z. BTW according to Wikepedia Darcy Blake is 5'5". Must have been written when he was 14!!

Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:44 pm

Agree. Even though Kev has done well as an emergency centre-half, he wasn't as good against QPR on the weekend (e.g brushed off the ball too easily by Taarabt) as he was against Derby, Doncaster, Sheffield Utd and Portsmouth, all sides in the bottom half of the league with nothing to play for, and to be totally honest, sides with nowhere near as much attacking threat and firepower as the champions-elect.

Like everyone else I think Kev is a superb full-back and a more than adequate replacement for any of our CBs. But Hudson for me. He has been magnificent this season.

On that basis, there is an extremely tough decision to be made regarding where Kev reverts to. The obvious solution would be to stick him at LB instead of Samuel, but IMO, dropping Jlloyd would be harsh as he has looked good from what I've seen of him so far. He kept Routledge fairly quiet on the weekend (no mean feat), and I wouldn't be at all surprised if we make him a permanent signing in the summer, given his
displays so far, and his obvious eagerness for doing the :ayatollah: After 5 games in the side you'd hope that
he's more or less there now in terms of match-fitness.

Even more harsh however, would be dropping Paul Quinn at RB. This is Kev's natural position IMO, but
Quinny has performed like a new signing ever since his return in January against Leeds. If I had to pick one
to be dropped, I would probably pick 'JLS', but it's a very tough decision as I've said, and only DJ can make
it.

Let's hope he makes the right one, whoever he picks !

Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:53 pm

we miss McNaughton attacking down the wing, as soon as Hudson is fit he comes in at CB with Samuel missing out. Kev will play where he is needed but he is a full back and thats where he wants to play.

Wasn't so long ago that people were talking about Hudson as player of the season and now all of a sudden he cant get in the side. absolute no brainer

Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:31 pm

chinnick wrote:we miss McNaughton attacking down the wing, as soon as Hudson is fit he comes in at CB with Samuel missing out. Kev will play where he is needed but he is a full back and thats where he wants to play.

Wasn't so long ago that people were talking about Hudson as player of the season and now all of a sudden he cant get in the side. absolute no brainer

Spot on, it seems many have reverted to how they were before Hudson turned his form around (i.e totally against him), and now think Kev is almost a better CB, just because he's had 5 pretty unspectacular games (by his standards anyway) as an emergency CB.

Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:22 pm

Cwmann_Bluebird wrote:
chinnick wrote:we miss McNaughton attacking down the wing, as soon as Hudson is fit he comes in at CB with Samuel missing out. Kev will play where he is needed but he is a full back and thats where he wants to play.

Spot on, it seems many have reverted to how they were before Hudson turned his form around (i.e totally against him), and now think Kev is almost a better CB, just because he's had 5 pretty unspectacular games (by his standards anyway) as an emergency CB.

I most certainly havent changed my mind about Hudson, he has had a great season.
But our goals against record has improved dramatically in the games since Kevin
and Dekkel have played. Thats surely indebatable. We have looked more solid in the
last 6 games. As for Kev being unspectacular? Fantastic. It means he's not making
all that many tackles, it means hes reading the game well. As for missing his marauding
runs??

We have scored 15 goals in the last 6 games.

Previous to that we scored 15 in 11 games and conceded 13

It would be madness to tweak it now

Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:35 pm

Some good stats there taffy, but I'll never change my mind in saying that Kev will always be a full-back, not a centre-half.

Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:01 am

Cwmann_Bluebird wrote:

Agree. Even though Kev has done well as an emergency centre-half, he wasn't as good against QPR on the weekend (e.g brushed off the ball too easily by Taarabt) as he was against Derby, Doncaster, Sheffield Utd and Portsmouth, all sides in the bottom half of the league with nothing to play for, and to be totally honest, sides with nowhere near as much attacking threat and firepower as the champions-elect.
Like everyone else I think Kev is a superb full-back and a more than adequate replacement for any of our CBs. But Hudson for me. He has been magnificent this season.

On that basis, there is an extremely tough decision to be made regarding where Kev reverts to. The obvious solution would be to stick him at LB instead of Samuel, but IMO, dropping Jlloyd would be harsh as he has looked good from what I've seen of him so far. He kept Routledge fairly quiet on the weekend (no mean feat), and I wouldn't be at all surprised if we make him a permanent signing in the summer, given his
displays so far, and his obvious eagerness for doing the :ayatollah: After 5 games in the side you'd hope that
he's more or less there now in terms of match-fitness.

Even more harsh however, would be dropping Paul Quinn at RB. This is Kev's natural position IMO, but
Quinny has performed like a new signing ever since his return in January against Leeds. If I had to pick one
to be dropped, I would probably pick 'JLS', but it's a very tough decision as I've said, and only DJ can make
it.

Let's hope he makes the right one, whoever he picks !

McPhail gave the penalty away against Derby for their goal in a 4-1 win for us, JLS failed to close down Coppinger for his goal in our 3-1 win at Doncaster, we didn't concede in a 2-0 win at Sheffield United, we didn't concede in a 3-0 win against Pompey, Taraabt's first goal was no fault of Kev's and he got lucky with the bounce for his second!

Nevertheless, we held a team who've been top of the table all season and bossed the majority of the game and deserved to win! Kev was never brushed off the ball at any stage in these games and I rate Kev as a modern day Gary Mabbutt for us, who was also only a short arse!

Whilst Hudson turned his form around for us this season, he had a poor start and IMO, he got injured at the right time for us, as his form had fallen away in his last 3 games or so and Kev has come in, won loads of balls in the air, that with his height disadvantage, he had no right to do! Dave Kitson (6' 3" according to Wikipedia), didn't win one ball in the air against Kev and I think his pace is crucial to this team!

IMO, if Kev is fit, then DJ should stick by the same team, which are unbeaten in 8 matches, even though Hudson played in the first one of those games (a draw v Barnsley) and went off injured in the second one ( a 3-3 draw at Millwall)!

Of those last 6 matches without Hudson, we've won 5 and drawn 1, with the team who've been at the top of the table, all season! :ayatollah:

Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:06 pm

Fair enough OTM, I just think too many people are quick to jump on Hudson's back too easily, just because Kev's done what he's needed to do recently, which has been enough against sides with not much firepower. I just felt on Saturday that if he can win headers against players like Kitson, then he should be able to win them against players such as Taarabt. But he didn't and Taarabt scored. Yes the bounce could've been kinder to Kev, but ultimately it was his error that led to that unfortunate bounce.

Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:18 pm

Play them both, Super Kev as a sweeper (a La Beckenbauer) , with 3 runners in midfield, Burke, Whitts and mc phail, Bellers and Bothers up front,

Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:23 pm

BOTH !

Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:37 pm

I'd stick with Kev, Sam, Quinn and Dek.....these 4 have worked well together recently although I do really rate Hudson

Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:07 pm

Did you watch Cardiff last season? Super Kev every time.

Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:57 am

Cwmann_Bluebird wrote:Fair enough OTM, I just think too many people are quick to jump on Hudson's back too easily, just because Kev's done what he's needed to do recently, which has been enough against sides with not much firepower. I just felt on Saturday that if he can win headers against players like Kitson, then he should be able to win them against players such as Taarabt. But he didn't and Taarabt scored. Yes the bounce could've been kinder to Kev, but ultimately it was his error that led to that unfortunate bounce.

If you have a look at the highlights again http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/13102880.stm, Kev wasn't beaten in the air by Taraabt, as the ball was played into his chest, giving Kev no chance to get a header in and the ball then fell kindly for Taraabt!

Kev has won far more headers in the games he has played recently at centre half, than his height would suggest, that he's entitled to!

However, his timing is impeccable, his spring is immense and with the added pace he gives the team in this position, is one of the main reasons, why we're unbeaten in 8 games, albeit with Kev at centre half for nearly 7 of those games! :ayatollah: