Any one watch the BBC2 "United" drama,

Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:19 pm

Last Sunday??? Thoughts. :(

Re: Any one watch the BBC2 "United" drama,

Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:35 pm

It was shite, matt busby looked like wino,

Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:36 pm

i thought it was really good! ... what a life bobby charlton as had! .... famous uncle [jackie milburn], won european footballer of the year, world cup, european cup, league championships, over 100 england caps, famous brother, played with the likes of best, law and edwards, played under busby and knighted! .... makes me laugh when i see the likes of gerrard writting a book when he`s done absolutely f**k all!

Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:46 pm

Funnily enough I recorded it on SKY+ and watched it earlier today. I thought it was good but I couldn't take Sir Matt Busby seriously being played by Dougray 'Pretty Shitty City' Scott. He's not the best actor and didn't portray the man very well with some kind of cheesy swagger.

I don't usually like Jack O'Connell but he was alright and David Tennant was reliably tidy as our Jimmy.

I have to admit though, I thought it was going to be a bit more emotional and delve into the family's grief more but it didn't. Focused a bit too much on Jimmy and Bobby for my liking.

Still, not bad and worth watching. :ayatollah:

Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:56 pm

It was a very moving story.
I thought a better film could have been made though with the tragic storyline. :o :o

Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:32 pm

AHERNE wrote:i thought it was really good! ... what a life bobby charlton as had! .... famous uncle [jackie milburn], won european footballer of the year, world cup, european cup, league championships, over 100 england caps, famous brother, played with the likes of best, law and edwards, played under busby and knighted! .... makes me laugh when i see the likes of gerrard writting a book when he`s done absolutely f**k all!

gerrards won a couple of trophies :lol:

Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:07 pm

I am watching it now.
Loved the "forget England, you are good enough for Wales" line!
And tennents Welsh accent is pretty good too.

Even though I've know about him for a while, it still feels strange that someone from the small village where I was born and sometimes live (when I'm not at uni) used to be that important at united!

Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:12 pm

WelshBluebird wrote:I am watching it now.
Loved the "forget England, you are good enough for Wales" line!
And tennents Welsh accent is pretty good too.

Even though I've know about him for a while, it still feels strange that someone from the small village where I was born and sometimes live (when I'm not at uni) used to be that important at united!

What about the 'full Ninian Park' line, brilliant.

Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:41 pm

I must confess, i knew nothing about Jimmy Murphy untill this story, & i looked him up;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmy_Murp ... tballer%29
He must have been one hell of a guy, & i feel, a little underrated.

Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:57 pm

great film. But Matt Busby's son went mental after the film/doc. was released on BBC 2, apparently it was nothing like busby in the film.

Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:13 pm

just so slow,not enjoyable for me :( :ayatollah:

Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:22 pm

my family thought it was a moving portrayal of the awful events that occurred. I felt that the programme was madewith sensitivity and understanding, although the Busby character didnt come across as the one so fondly remembered by my old mans generation. alli in all ill give the Beeb a B+ :D