Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Loan rule changes?

Sun May 01, 2011 7:04 pm

Going back to something Carl said earlier about changes to the lone rules in light of the Bellamy deal, well it will not happen in June as its not on the AGM agenda and to be honest I don't think it ever will be.

It would cripple clubs in the lower leagues and stop a lot of young players getting playing experience from loans.

If the league for example said clubs could only loan players provided that the loaning club pay at least 50% of wages, do you think Warren Feeney would have gone on loan from Cardiff? No, I honestly think it will stay as it is, it suits everybody at the moment, except the clubs that don't get the players of course.

On another note about QPR being docked points we could be promoted without finishing in the top two and I think Carl was saying that he would PREFER to go up on merit and also that Dave Jones would not get the cvredit he deserved ifwe went up on default of others.

Re: Loan rule changes?

Sun May 01, 2011 7:47 pm

Paul the loan rules are not going to change, especially since the premier rule about a 25 man squad were brought in/

Sun May 01, 2011 7:49 pm

corky wrote:Going back to something Carl said earlier about changes to the lone rules in light of the Bellamy deal, well it will not happen in June as its not on the AGM agenda and to be honest I don't think it ever will be.

It would cripple clubs in the lower leagues and stop a lot of young players getting playing experience from loans.

If the league for example said clubs could only loan players provided that the loaning club pay at least 50% of wages, do you think Warren Feeney would have gone on loan from Cardiff? No, I honestly think it will stay as it is, it suits everybody at the moment, except the clubs that don't get the players of course.

On another note about QPR being docked points we could be promoted without finishing in the top two and I think Carl was saying that he would PREFER to go up on merit and also that Dave Jones would not get the cvredit he deserved ifwe went up on default of others.

Corky that was the exact point I was making :ayatollah:

Sun May 01, 2011 7:49 pm

Indeed, it would mean no Prem players ( ie u21s ) ever going on loan anywhere below Champ level due to the cost.

Sun May 01, 2011 7:56 pm

I see nothing wrong if a club take on a player and his mother club pays part of his money as long as both clubs and player agree. and the clubs have broken no rules. If we can do it so should other clubs be free to do so, if a top class player wants to play for a club and his mother club dont want him for that season.

Sun May 01, 2011 8:20 pm

Also what happens when a Prem club has a couple of players who are not featuring but they want to keep them match fit? The loan market helps both clubs. Many clubs are happy just to see their player getting game time regardless of the fees etc.

Sun May 01, 2011 8:33 pm

Berwyn wrote:Also what happens when a Prem club has a couple of players who are not featuring but they want to keep them match fit? The loan market helps both clubs. Many clubs are happy just to see their player getting game time regardless of the fees etc.

Berwyn the loan system is fine and suits both parties I know but I used the example of Bellamy as this was a first, in that the amount of wages paid by the loaning club, us, was heavily in our favour. And more so the amount of wages involved.

Sun May 01, 2011 8:40 pm

carlccfc wrote:
Berwyn wrote:Also what happens when a Prem club has a couple of players who are not featuring but they want to keep them match fit? The loan market helps both clubs. Many clubs are happy just to see their player getting game time regardless of the fees etc.

Berwyn the loan system is fine and suits both parties I know but I used the example of Bellamy as this was a first, in that the amount of wages paid by the loaning club, us, was heavily in our favour. And more so the amount of wages involved.

Does that make a difference as long as the player is paid, and the Parent club is happy with the agreement?
A big factor is that Bellamy WANTED to come and play for his home city.

Sun May 01, 2011 8:41 pm

Merlin wrote:
carlccfc wrote:

Does that make a difference as long as the player is paid, and the Parent club is happy with the agreement?

Legally no but in my opinion morally yes.

Sun May 01, 2011 8:48 pm

carlccfc wrote:
merlin wrote:

So morally you are AGAINST the signing of Craig Bellamy?

Sun May 01, 2011 8:53 pm

corky wrote:Going back to something Carl said earlier about changes to the lone rules in light of the Bellamy deal, well it will not happen in June as its not on the AGM agenda and to be honest I don't think it ever will be.

Well said, Corky....

Personally, DJ will get a LOT of credit from me if/when we go up. The change in fortune and style for the latter stages of this season surely can't ALL be down to Michael Chopra, can it?? (I mean his injury, of course!! :lol: )

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:
:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sun May 01, 2011 8:57 pm

carlccfc wrote:

Not true, with regards to the percentage.

the only issue is the actual sum, not the percentage.

Sun May 01, 2011 8:58 pm

Personally I believe that only players under the age of 24 should be allowed to be loaned. It should be used purely as a way of helping a young player develop.

Sun May 01, 2011 9:05 pm

Merlin wrote:
carlccfc wrote:
merlin wrote:

Do not put words in my mouth Craig or anything else for that matter, I am asking is it morally correct ?

Sun May 01, 2011 9:08 pm

carlccfc wrote:
merlin wrote:
merlin wrote:

Do not put words in my mouth Craig or anything else for that matter, I am asking is it morally correct ?

:lol: Carl! what are you implying!!! :lol:

Sun May 01, 2011 9:10 pm

NJ73 wrote:Personally I believe that only players under the age of 24 should be allowed to be loaned. It should be used purely as a way of helping a young player develop.

well what do you tell a player over 24 who is not in the 25 man premier league squad - who has 2 or 3 yrs left on his contract?

that he has to sit and rot away? :roll: or can go on loan to try and prove himself again?

Sun May 01, 2011 9:17 pm

Merlin wrote:
NJ73 wrote:Personally I believe that only players under the age of 24 should be allowed to be loaned. It should be used purely as a way of helping a young player develop.

well what do you tell a player over 24 who is not in the 25 man premier league squad - who has 2 or 3 yrs left on his contract?

that he has to sit and rot away? :roll: or can go on loan to try and prove himself again?

The point being that it would stop Premier League clubs carrying such large squads of players.

If they're not good enough at the age of 25 or over to be in a 25 man squad then they shouldn't be there and should be sold. If Prem clubs knew they couldn't just loan players out that were in this category then a) they wouldn't keep them on their books and b) it would give the opportunity for Championship clubs to sign them permanently and on more favourable terms.

Sun May 01, 2011 9:21 pm

NJ73 wrote:
Merlin wrote:

The point being that it would stop Premier League clubs carrying such large squads of players.

If they're not good enough at the age of 25 or over to be in a 25 man squad then they shouldn't be there and should be sold. If Prem clubs knew they couldn't just loan players out that were in this category then a) they wouldn't keep them on their books and b) it would give the opportunity for Championship clubs to sign them permanently and on more favourable terms.

So if Cardiff for example bought a player (maybe Jay-Lloyd Samuel as an example) as a championship club, then got promoted to the premier league, he wasn't quite good enough to make the grade but was a fairly new signing to the club, he just got left out on the fringes too often, then it would be best for that player to go to a club who's needing to fill a void that he would fit. You can argue all day for points for and against, but your example of cutting the loan market for certain age players really wouldnt work.... there is nothing wrong with the system as it is now.... and I bet clubs will always find a way to manipulate the system in whatever way you look at it.

Sun May 01, 2011 9:23 pm

Merlin wrote:
So if Cardiff for example bought a player (maybe Jay-Lloyd Samuel as an example) as a championship club, then got promoted to the premier league, he wasn't quite good enough to make the grade but was a fairly new signing to the club, he just got left out on the fringes too often, then it would be best for that player to go to a club who's needing to fill a void that he would fit. You can argue all day for points for and against, but your example of cutting the loan market for certain age players really wouldnt work.... there is nothing wrong with the system as it is now.... and I bet clubs will always find a way to manipulate the system in whatever way you look at it.

I disagree.

Sun May 01, 2011 11:39 pm

carlccfc wrote:
Merlin wrote:
carlccfc wrote:Legally no but in my opinion morally yes.

I don't see anything morally wrong with it Carl.

In a situation where the Premier League has so much more financial clout and where they only have 25 man squads the only way some players will play is if they are loaned to a championship team.

And the only way a championship team could afford it is either if they have a rich sugar daddy with money no object who pays the salary himelf or if the Premier league club does as Man city have done and pay a large chunk of the salary.

So be it.

Sun May 01, 2011 11:39 pm

carlccfc wrote:
Merlin wrote:
carlccfc wrote:Legally no but in my opinion morally yes.

I don't see anything morally wrong with it Carl.

In a situation where the Premier League has so much more financial clout and where they only have 25 man squads the only way some players will play is if they are loaned to a championship team.

And the only way a championship team could afford it is either if they have a rich sugar daddy with money no object who pays the salary himelf or if the Premier league club does as Man city have done and pay a large chunk of the salary.

So be it.