Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

" Where it all went Wrong "

Sat May 07, 2011 7:09 pm

For me finishing 4th with our squad is a disaster.

The season started well until mid September when we lost twice in succession to Ipswich and Leicester both average teams. We picked up and October saw 6 straight wins. DJ won manager of month award and decided to celebrate by screwing around with tactics at home to Swansea. Losing at home to the jacks started an awful run through November and December. We lost to the vermin not because they were better but because DJ got his tactics 100% wrong. Away games at Watford and the Wurzels resulted in heavy defeats and a clear sign that defensively we were frail. Lee Naylor was truly woeful in that run but DJ kept playing him despite every manager attacking us down our left.

Things got better end of January/February thanks to signing of Rambo and Keinan which enabled Naylor to be dropped. We went on a great run then suddenly March came and things went wrong. Heaton got injured and DJ in his wisdom signed Stephen Bywater a Derby reserve keeper. Ipswich did a smash and grab and then an awful performance at Palace in which a missed pen proved crucial. Barnsley equalised in last minute and the following week Millwall did the same after a bywater error. April came and 5 wins out of 6 put us in charge of 2nd place.

May came and the players went on the piss. Boro home was an insult.

As for the next 2 or 3 games who knows?

To sum up there is one person to blame for us not being in top 2 and that is our manager. He failed to sign a decent left back all season. He only brought in a decent centre back to compliment/play with Hudson in January. He lets his players go on the piss on the eve of important games. DJ has 3 games to save his job.

Re: Where it all went wrong

Sat May 07, 2011 7:13 pm

Good post and just about agree with all of it. We can also throw in wasted loans like Drinkwater, Keogh and Koumas.

Sat May 07, 2011 7:13 pm

Tony Blue Williams wrote:Good post and just about agree with all of it. We can also throw in wasted loans like Drinkwater, Keogh and Koumas.

drinkwater done well :shock:

Sat May 07, 2011 7:14 pm

Yu forgot Samuel. :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sat May 07, 2011 7:14 pm

naylor

Sat May 07, 2011 7:18 pm

Great post Gareth :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sat May 07, 2011 7:20 pm

Gareth (Wilts) wrote:For me finishing 4th with our squad is a disaster.

The season started well until mid September when we lost twice in succession to Ipswich and Leicester both average teams. We picked up and October saw 6 straight wins. DJ won manager of month award and decided to celebrate by screwing around with tactics at home to Swansea. Losing at home to the jacks started an awful run through November and December. We lost to the vermin not because they were better but because DJ got his tactics 100% wrong. Away games at Watford and the Wurzels resulted in heavy defeats and a clear sign that defensively we were frail. Lee Naylor was truly woeful in that run but DJ kept playing him despite every manager attacking us down our left.

Things got better end of January/February thanks to signing of Rambo and Keinan which enabled Naylor to be dropped. We went on a great run then suddenly March came and things went wrong. Heaton got injured and DJ in his wisdom signed Stephen Bywater a Derby reserve keeper. Ipswich did a smash and grab and then an awful performance at Palace in which a missed pen proved crucial. Barnsley equalised in last minute and the following week Millwall did the same after a bywater error. April came and 5 wins out of 6 put us in charge of 2nd place.

To sum up there is one person to blame for us not being in top 2 and that is our manager. He failed to sign a decent left back all season. He only brought in a decent centre back to compliment/play with Hudson in January. He lets his players go on the piss on the eve of important games. DJ has 3 games to save his job.

For gods sake we are in the fekin play offs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sat May 07, 2011 7:21 pm

Blazing Saddles wrote:

For gods sake we are in the fekin play offs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not good enough. We should be in top 2.

Sat May 07, 2011 7:22 pm

Bridgend_bluebird wrote:
Tony Blue Williams wrote:Good post and just about agree with all of it. We can also throw in wasted loans like Drinkwater, Keogh and Koumas.

I didn't say he didn't I said he was a wasted loan. Injured all the time and had his confidence smashed after making his comeback against the Jacks.

Sat May 07, 2011 7:22 pm

Tony Blue Williams wrote:
Bridgend_bluebird wrote:

I didn't say he didn't I said he was a wasted loan. Injured all the time and had his confidence smashed after making his comeback against the Jacks.

ah good point. ahwell hes got alot of potential. :ayatollah:

Sat May 07, 2011 7:26 pm

the moment in the season where we lost it when you look back is the injury time goal at norwich absolute crucial,to think they went up auto when we stufed them at home and ran them ragged at their place. but another team we just could not see off. it would be nice to see if bellemy could step up to the plate as player manager for us next season?

Sat May 07, 2011 7:28 pm

Blazing Saddles wrote:For gods sake we are in the fekin play offs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You could argue that we came fourth in a two horse race. This season should have been a shoot out between us and QPR, instead we finish way behind them as well as Norwich and Swansea.

Simply not good enough and that still applies even if we did win promotion via the play-offs.

Sat May 07, 2011 8:00 pm

Blazing Saddles wrote:For gods sake we are in the fekin play offs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You could argue that we came fourth in a two horse race. This season should have been a shoot out between us and QPR, instead we finish way behind them as well as Norwich and Swansea.

Simply not good enough and that still applies even if we did win promotion via the play-offs.

Well said Tony

Sat May 07, 2011 8:02 pm

Hmmm...there has been alot of expectations for this team.

Sat May 07, 2011 8:14 pm

wasnt it 5 points out of 30, or something like that?, forest and reading were down the bottom of the league at one time :roll:

Sat May 07, 2011 8:30 pm

Gareth (Wilts) wrote:
Blazing Saddles wrote:

Not good enough. We should be in top 2.

no we shouldnt...

QPR and Norwich should be?

Re: " Where it all went Wrong "

Sat May 07, 2011 8:32 pm

Honest and Good post Gareth :ayatollah:

Sat May 07, 2011 8:42 pm

A good post.

However, my only point is that I completely disagree with the use of the word disaster regarding finishing fourth.

Should we walk one of the hardest divisions in the world simply because we signed a half fit Bellamy?

Call this season a poor one, by our extremely high expectations if we don't get past Reading and Forest/Swansea IMO.

We barely spent any money in the transfer market, and we collected yet again; more points than last season.

Sat May 07, 2011 9:07 pm

The points about finishing out of the top 2 are valid.

However, finishing 4th rather than 3rd is insignificant. Who's to say that once we knew the QPR news it was decided not to risk Heaton ?

In my, and many other's, opinion Reading are much more preferable than Forest in the semi and were saying that before kick-off and hoping some players we rested today to avoid injury. That's not dissing Reading it's just that Forest seem to be a bit of a bogey team at the moment.

I've said it before .................... nobody will remember who came 3rd if we, Forest or, god forbid :lol: , Reading win at Wembley :ayatollah:

Time to concentrate on the next 2/3 games the inquest can start once we know what the season final outcome is :ayatollah:

Sat May 07, 2011 9:37 pm

Very good post Sheriff and i agree with everything :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sat May 07, 2011 10:55 pm

For gods sake when are you all going to accept that he didn't let the players go on this piss. He can't be watching them 24 hours a day. Blame the players who clearly don't give a toss about us or our club.

Sat May 07, 2011 11:53 pm

Like ice in my veins...

Sun May 08, 2011 1:17 pm

Blazing Saddles wrote:

Yeah we finished in the play offs but we finished below that teram you have been slagging off all season.

Sun May 08, 2011 4:55 pm

I also believe we had the poor man's Routledge where as QPR had the original, I am being kind to Burke saying he's been average

Sun May 08, 2011 5:34 pm

Taffs Well Blue wrote:I also believe we had the poor man's Routledge where as QPR had the original, I am being kind to Burke saying he's been average

We also had a poor man's manager, at best he's been average ;)

Sun May 08, 2011 5:39 pm

For me, it started with the home defeat v Swansea last November, what happened on, & later off the pitch, had a destabilizing effect on the team.

Sun May 08, 2011 6:00 pm

Ahh so we've resorted back to this have we?

There is no "we should be in the top two". That is irrelevant. The fact is no team has a given right to be anywhere in this crazy crazy league and shit actually does sometimes happen.

The reality of the situation is that Jones did not go out onto that field on Monday evening and play like he could not give a flying f**k and barely knew what a football was let alone anything else.

Sure, Jones can be held accountable for not shipping out the bottlers that he's had to endure for the last three years but when there's nobody else better out there that we can afford and that are willing to come here then there is absolutely nothing you can do except stick with the players you have and hope that the talent that they do sometimes show and that we all know that they possess does eventually come to fruition.

Bring it the f**k on Reading.

Sun May 08, 2011 9:58 pm

DaveSheffield wrote:Ahh so we've resorted back to this have we?

There is no "we should be in the top two". That is irrelevant. The fact is no team has a given right to be anywhere in this crazy crazy league and shit actually does sometimes happen.

The reality of the situation is that Jones did not go out onto that field on Monday evening and play like he could not give a flying f**k and barely knew what a football was let alone anything else.

Sure, Jones can be held accountable for not shipping out the bottlers that he's had to endure for the last three years but when there's nobody else better out there that we can afford and that are willing to come here then there is absolutely nothing you can do except stick with the players you have and hope that the talent that they do sometimes show and that we all know that they possess does eventually come to fruition.

Bring it the f**k on Reading.

great post mate :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mon May 09, 2011 7:24 am

YER I agree , I did think we may finish 2nd with the players we had, But Dave Jones is happy I think , I mean ok yes he would be even more happy if we were 1st . But he has said a few times , Look we are in the play offs , how can that be bad, at the start of the season we were tip to go down with all the problems we had. But we are in the play offs and only missed out on 2nd place by 1point.
So from what he has said, he dont see that it went wrong. He is not looking at it with the same glasses as we have on.

Mon May 09, 2011 2:29 pm

It all went wrong when Jones was not sacked after losing 3-0 to Charlton :?