Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

One defeat in 10. I think we are better than Reading

Sun May 08, 2011 4:49 pm

Reading were in form in Feb and March, but petered out in April. They are a decent side, but were helpe dout by 2 poor performances by our defense when we played them.

In fact having seen us against them twice and Burnley twice I think Burnley are better.

Reading have a decent pair of wingers and a good striker, but if we put out our best back 4 I think we can handle them (we had Blake at CH and Matthews at RB at Reading, both of whom had nightmare 1st halfs and Naylor at LB at home against them, who was murdered by Kebe.) Our problem will be whether to play KM at LB or CB. I think Quinn can deal with McAnuff, and Kev can deal with Kebe, but I'm a littl worried about our lack of pace in the middle against Long.

A bigger issue is the fact our midfield don't protect the back 4 and pick up runners. I think i would play McPhail and Oli in the middle, and encourage both to ensure they prioritise covering the centre and picking up the runners.

Out wide, well Whittingham on the left, I'm a little concerned about, (with Kebe), but we should cope OK, but the other is an issue. Burke has been awful in the last few games and seems to be getting weaker and weaker. JET however looks lost. Koumas also didnt really do much yesterday, maybe Bellamy on the right, but he's our most potent attacking threat.

On balance I'll stick with Koumas. the Reading full backs are fairly slow (Harte for 1 !) and a bit of skill could create some space between them and their slow but useful centre halfs for Jay and Bellers to run into.

On balance I think we are the better side.

Whether we will be over the 180 mins is another thing though :ayatollah:

Re: One defeat in 10. I think we are better than Reading

Sun May 08, 2011 4:56 pm

yes :ayatollah: we are better and we can win over both the legs!!! lets have it!! :ayatollah:

Sun May 08, 2011 5:10 pm

Lawnmower wrote:Reading were in form in Feb and March, but petered out in April. They are a decent side, but were helpe dout by 2 poor performances by our defense when we played them.

In fact having seen us against them twice and Burnley twice I think Burnley are better.

Reading have a decent pair of wingers and a good striker, but if we put out our best back 4 I think we can handle them (we had Blake at CH and Matthews at RB at Reading, both of whom had nightmare 1st halfs and Naylor at LB at home against them, who was murdered by Kebe.) Our problem will be whether to play KM at LB or CB. I think Quinn can deal with McAnuff, and Kev can deal with Kebe, but I'm a littl worried about our lack of pace in the middle against Long.

A bigger issue is the fact our midfield don't protect the back 4 and pick up runners. I think i would play McPhail and Oli in the middle, and encourage both to ensure they prioritise covering the centre and picking up the runners.

Out wide, well Whittingham on the left, I'm a little concerned about, (with Kebe), but we should cope OK, but the other is an issue. Burke has been awful in the last few games and seems to be getting weaker and weaker. JET however looks lost. Koumas also didnt really do much yesterday, maybe Bellamy on the right, but he's our most potent attacking threat.

On balance I'll stick with Koumas. the Reading full backs are fairly slow (Harte for 1 !) and a bit of skill could create some space between them and their slow but useful centre halfs for Jay and Bellers to run into.

On balance I think we are the better side.

Whether we will be over the 180 mins is another thing though :ayatollah:

"Poor performance by our defence". How often have I heard that this season. :roll:

Sun May 08, 2011 5:24 pm

We are better than them but i have zero confidence in our manager. I doubt whether half our squad is actually bothered as long as they get overly paid on the last day of the month.

I really wish i was confident about our chances but i'm not.

Sun May 08, 2011 5:27 pm

We can win this playoff series of matches Reading first and then whoever I have been thinking about 2003 and our last 8 matches of the season when we took only 8 out of the 24 points available, we reached the playoffs by 1 point in 6th place and had to play Bristol City who had done the double over us that season in fact we hadn't beat them since Noah was a boy.

In our last but one home match we lost 3-0 to Colchester Utd and everyone thought promotion was over I know I feared the worst but we beat Bristol City who had finished 3rd in the League thanks to a Peter Thorne goal in the home leg. Who will ever forget beating QPR in the playoff final, how we felt as Andy Campbell scored the winning goal with what many described as a lucky lob - DID WE CARE.

This season we have taken 17 out of the last 24 points the same as Swansea and Reading with Forest just behind with 15 points. So we lost our last home game 3-0 thats just something we do for some reason but there is absolutely nothing between the 4 clubs in the playoffs except the goalscoring firepower we have in our squad and IMO the other 3 managers would love to have it - ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT.

This is our year and Bellamy, Bothroyd, Chopra, Whittingham, Burke, Koumas, JET, Parkin these are the players who are going to deliver our dreams, just like the class of 2003.

2011 is our year I have no doubt about it. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sun May 08, 2011 5:27 pm

Gareth (Wilts) wrote:We are better than them but i have zero confidence in our manager. I doubt whether half our squad is actually bothered as long as they get overly paid on the last day of the month.

yeah, i looked for an answer to your post, but could not find one, , i agree with you

Sun May 08, 2011 5:28 pm

Gareth (Wilts) wrote:We are better than them but i have zero confidence in our manager. I doubt whether half our squad is actually bothered as long as they get overly paid on the last day of the month.

I can't fault your thinking Gareth, it's just I have one of those funny feelings our name is on the play-off Trophy. :D