Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

" Match report Burnley v Cardiff 6 May 2011 "

Sun May 08, 2011 7:32 pm

A colourful away following of over 3000 fans made the trip to Lancashire for Cardiff final regular game of the season. There was some impressive fancy dress costumes that help to bring a sparkle to the travelling support that were still in shock over the last home game of the season. As these supporters made their way to their seats the players were already on the pitch warming up. I looked out for the four culprits from that last home game and took a note of their faces as the away section started to fill up. Chopra looks very uneasy, Bothroyd could not look into the stand, Samuels did a good job hiding and Bywater looks worried as he made his way to the goal just before kick off, the goal directly in front of the away support.

A couple of changes had been made from the previous game with Koumas replacing McPhail and Hudson replacing McNaughton at central defence with McNaughton moving to left full back to replace Samuels. Bywater managed to keep his place as Heaton is still injured and Bothroyd was starting up front with Bellamy although quite a few felt Parkin should have been up front with the captain just to make a point.

Within the first minutes Cardiff had a great chance to take an early lead when Whittingham found Burke in the Burnley penalty area. With only the keeper to beat Burke could not control the ball allowing the Burnley defence to close him down.

The next real chance fell to Burnley on the 10 minutes mark. The home side made their way down the Cardiff right Quinn uncharacteristically slipped just outside of the area. This allowed the Burnley winger to move into the area unopposed and with only Bywater to beat, although from a tight angle, he fired a powerful shot towards the goal. A diving Bywater got a hand to the ball and helped it onto the far post and away for a corner.

Burnley started to take control of the game and on the 13th minute mark took the lead. From a quick throw in and ball was passed back to a home side midfielder inside their own half. This midfielder sent a defence splitting pass down the Cardiff left that caught out McNaughton. The receiving Burnley striker who had got behind McNaughton fired a shot across the box and towards the far post. Bywaters looked about two yards out of position and he dived to his right to stop the shot. The ball went passed an outstretched Bywater hand and into the far side of the goal.

From the restart Burnley started to dominate the game as they took control from midfield. Their players seem to win every ball as they fought hard for those 50/50s. From this total dominance they nearly doubled their lead as a through bal down the middle left a Burnley striker one on one with an approaching Bywater. The ball was scooped over Bywaters but trickled wide.

Cardiff only response was down the wings involving Bellamy. As the captain sent a cross into the home area their goalkeeper went unchallenged. There was never any Cardiff in the area and questions are starting to be asked where is Bothroyd while all this is happening. Is this not what a striker is meant to do, to be on the end of these crosses.
As the game approached half time Cardiff started to get back into the game. Koumas came the closes as he found himself one on one with the home keeper. However his first touch let him down and the keeper managed to get down and block Koumas shot.
Cardiff had another chance just before half time from a move down the middle. Bothroyd picked up the ball just inside the Burnley area, turned but made weak contact with his shot. The Burnley keeper comfortable parried the ball away for safety.

The second half first 20 minutes was hardly anything to talk about. The only real chances fell to Quinn on the six yard line where he headed wide from a Whitingham corner and from a Whittingham free kick that the Burnley keeper parried over the bar when he should have held onto it.

Burnley did dominate this period of the game with the workrate in midfield. Cardiff struggled to maintain them and as the game went into its last quarter the home side should have increased their lead. It was only desperate defending that preventing a couple of shots going into the Cardiff net.

Cardiff brought on Mcphail for Oli on the 72nd minute and started to get back in the game. JET who came on for Burke just after half time started to get into the game when McPhail appeared. JET picked up a ball on the touchline and with two Burnley defender to beat he skipped passed both of them and from just inside the penalty area sent a powerful shot towards the goal that was blocked.

Cardiff started to have more of an impact as the game went into its last 10 minutes. They moved the ball around the Burnley half but failed to test their keeper seriously. McPhail had a shot from 20 yards that went over the bar and a weak from Bothroyd from 18 yards trickled into the Burnley keeper arms.

As the game approached the 90th minute the home side were started to celebrate while the away support cheered their team onto the end. As the home support started to up the stick to the away fans McPhail picked up a ball just inside the Burnley half and found Bellamy in space just outside the Burnley area. His chip to the captain was perfect and Bellamy had all the time in the world to control the ball and then lop it over the approaching Burnley keeper and into the net. The home fans went silent as the away contingent made their way over to them and gave it stick back 10 times over.
There was time for one last effort but that went to the home side as they made a move down the right wing and a teasing cross was met by a diving header that went just over the bar.
The referee brought the game to an end all square.

Summing up. This was the last league game of the season of which I have been to all of them. I think this game summed up the season for Cardiff regarding the performance. If you added all the good and bad from the games and spread it out you get this last game. We were below par and got lucky with a last minute equaliser. No we did not lose but could quite easily have done. We should have beaten this team with what we have got but we did not. About sums the whole season up.

Re: " Match report Burnley v Cardiff 6 May 2011 "

Sun May 08, 2011 7:43 pm

Cheers Ian, for once again giving us an Honest and good Match Report, its looks like you've got a few more Reports to write up
:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sun May 08, 2011 7:48 pm

Good report Ian, hope the girls enjoyed the game.

Sun May 08, 2011 11:43 pm

Burnley are a good team but I agree, If
We had come away with nothing it would have been what we deserved. Very poor performace

Mon May 09, 2011 1:26 am

I just thought it was a poor game all round.

Low quality standard of football the City goal aside, Jay Rodriguez was their only redeming feature - fast as f**k and a really good prospect - in a shit ground with a leaky roof in front of terrible home support with the only noise coming from a bunch of EDL/BNP knuckle draggers in the corner in a shite town on a day with shite weather.

Another one of those games brightened by what I thought was some superb away support given what we'd seen in the previous game and before the match had even started. Sure, I've been part of better away atmospheres but this was a party one regardless. Even if I did have a dodgy throat after going out the night before and couldn't sing properly.

0-0 would've been a score more accurately reflecting the standard of football on display I reckon.

Tue May 10, 2011 11:15 am

great report, poor preformance and lucky with the point.
on the coulorful fans bit i would like to thank
nantgarwblue for getting chris_ccfc pissed on friday night :(
and
chris_ccfc for being too drunk to get up on time hence rushing around my pad covering everything with blue body paint :lol:
Bakedalaska for his and his girls company, over friday and saturday in blackpool :ayatollah:
and
Saddam for the pleasure of his and his familys company and laughs we had on site
and last but not least Andy Fs for a great day out with the kids at Blackpool Pleasure Beach on sunday
OH and the team
FOR BOTTLEING IT AGAIN
day out photos here
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... 394e99abc8
hope someone took some of the mystery tour bus on route :?:

Tue May 10, 2011 4:42 pm

Blame Rich, he got the whiskey's in on Friday night, bloody mess.

Thank's for letting me crash at yours, top man.

Tue May 10, 2011 5:09 pm

The Premier 1 wrote:great report, poor preformance and lucky with the point.
on the coulorful fans bit i would like to thank
nantgarwblue for getting chris_ccfc pissed on friday night :(
and
chris_ccfc for being too drunk to get up on time hence rushing around my pad covering everything with blue body paint :lol:
Bakedalaska for his and his girls company, over friday and saturday in blackpool :ayatollah:
and
Saddam for the pleasure of his and his familys company and laughs we had on site
and last but not least Andy Fs for a great day out with the kids at Blackpool Pleasure Beach on sunday
OH and the team
FOR BOTTLEING IT AGAIN
day out photos here
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... 394e99abc8
hope someone took some of the mystery tour bus on route :?:

another good report by Ian. how you manage to remember it all without any notes i don't know.
had a quality weekend away with gd company Ian aka baked,andrew aka premier,Andy fs who i met for the 1st time,and of course the kids who accompanied the above 3. not forgetting my familly. shame about the result but onwards and upwards we are still in there :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Thu May 12, 2011 7:47 am

Cheers Ian, Look forward to Reading Aways Match Report :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: