Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

READING fc revisited

Wed May 11, 2011 12:26 pm

How many of us have stood on the terrace below that used to be the away end at Elm Park Reading FC previous game. I have lost count how many times I went there but a game that sticks in my memory was a game in the 90's when it lashed it down non stop and a hot dog van got overturned which made the news, what memories do you have of the ground, that FA Cup replay was a lso a hell of a night there :ayatollah:

Re: READING fc revisited

Wed May 11, 2011 12:32 pm

Cefnfforestbluebird wrote:How many of us have stood on the terrace below that used to be the away end at Elm Park Reading FC previous game. I have lost count how many times I went there but a game that sticks in my memory was a game in the 90's when it lashed it down non stop and a hot dog van got overturned which made the news, what memories do you have of the ground, that FA Cup replay was a lso a hell of a night there :ayatollah:

That FA Cup game that went to extra time.

I never went, but listened on the Radio, I'll never forget hering the Reading announcer saying over the tannoy 'Cardiff Supporters, your train is about to leave' :lol:

Wed May 11, 2011 12:43 pm

MillarFromTheHalfWayLine wrote:
Cefnfforestbluebird wrote:How many of us have stood on the terrace below that used to be the away end at Elm Park Reading FC previous game. I have lost count how many times I went there but a game that sticks in my memory was a game in the 90's when it lashed it down non stop and a hot dog van got overturned which made the news, what memories do you have of the ground, that FA Cup replay was a lso a hell of a night there :ayatollah:

I never went, but listened on the Radio, I'll never forget hering the Reading announcer saying over the tannoy 'Cardiff Supporters, your train is about to leave' :lol:

Thats the game !! quite a crazy day everyone got there early and they couldnt cope with our numbers ! I think some toilets got damaged in a pub also !!!!

Wed May 11, 2011 1:19 pm

I went to that game & I'm sure it Hailstoned for a good 10 mins during the game :( I used to love going to elm park & Oxford united ground (manor?) ,that little alley way as you come out of the away end. Used to be a bit naughty there sometimes :D

Wed May 11, 2011 1:20 pm

You can't beat the old grounds,real atmosphere !

Wed May 11, 2011 1:38 pm

Xcasual wrote:I went to that game & I'm sure it Hailstoned for a good 10 mins during the game :( I used to love going to elm park & Oxford united ground (manor?) ,that little alley way as you come out of the away end. Used to be a bit naughty there sometimes :D

Ran into our esteemed host on the night of the Reading cup tie about an hour before kick-off and it turned out well once it had been established that everyone was Cardiff. :lol:

Remember an occasion too down that alley way at the Manor Ground after a match when a group of Cardiff ran into another Cardiff lot thinking that they were Oxford waiting on an ambush, ironically, the Cardiff fans waiting had heard that was where the ambush usually took place and so got there first to lie in wait for Oxford who didn't show (maybe because they'd sussed the Cardiff mob waiting were really Cardiff :? ). (Never use a few words where 12,000 will do, that's my motto :oops: ).

Wed May 11, 2011 3:26 pm

the fa cup replay was another mad trip
a mini bus and van went from bryncethyn/bridgend the usual suspects
i miss the old days :old: :ayatollah:

Wed May 11, 2011 3:36 pm

Pretty sure Jarman and Middleton missed that night in the shootout. Great night that was tho. Pretty sure Chris Casper and Jason Bowen played for them that night aswell

Wed May 11, 2011 4:29 pm

Can anyone remember that lad from reading named Paul who used to come down Cardiff !! Bit of a loon he was ,obsessed with The Soul Crew :lol:

Thu May 12, 2011 3:31 pm

Xcasual wrote:Can anyone remember that lad from reading named Paul who used to come down Cardiff !! Bit of a loon he was ,obsessed with The Soul Crew :lol:

it takes allsorts there was a lad from cardiff who used to run with oxfords mob...strange one !!

Thu May 12, 2011 3:48 pm

Xcasual wrote:Can anyone remember that lad from reading named Paul who used to come down Cardiff !! Bit of a loon he was ,obsessed with The Soul Crew :lol:

He's a mate of mine. :lol:

Thu May 12, 2011 3:54 pm

I saw city play there on my birthday one year, we lost 3-1. God knows what year

Thu May 12, 2011 4:15 pm

remember standing in the away end one year at elm park and it was chucking down hail the size of marbles.. not nice standing there in a t-shirt and bald head :lol:

Thu May 12, 2011 4:16 pm

MillarFromTheHalfWayLine wrote:

and a big cheer went up when the announcer said the last train to cardiff is leaving in 5 minutes :lol:

Thu May 12, 2011 4:54 pm

The Fa Cup game when several of our fans had scaled the Floodlight for a better view :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Thu May 12, 2011 5:12 pm

I remember going there in the early ninetees with a mate of mine from the Army. Funny old day really, we were on guard duty the day before and finished about 8.00am. We were discussing what we were doing later day and I said I was heading up to Elm Park to watch the City. He was a big Rangers fan and was missing his live football so said he'd tag along. Any way later that morning once we'd done the three S's we got a taxi to Southampton station and got on the train to Reading. Anyway after only a couple of beers on the train we arrived in Reading and started walking towards Elm Park trying to find "City" pub on the way. Well 2 minutes later we saw a load of City flags hanging out of the windows of this pub on the corner of a street(not sure if my memory serves me right but I think it was called the Oak/Royal Oak, could be wrong though). Anyhoo I digress, I walked up to the bar and after a short que ordered a couple of beers....now there was a lad next to me who was also being served. This guy was ordering half a pubs worth.....3 pints of bitter please, 3 pints of Guiness, 8 pints of Lager and 5 Ciders etc. (approx my memory isnt that good!). Well the bloke behind the bar totted it all up and it came to a small fortune so he said to the guy next to me that'll be (about) £60 please....f**k off was the lads response!! :o . The barman said again thats £60 mate or I'll have to call the bouncers......crack on said the lad......so he did, they walked behind the bar and said you'll have to pay or your going to have to hand the drinks back!! Well this lad turns around with a wry smile and says "Lads they want the drinks back!"......two seconds later it was like Beruit....glass everywhere, every optic smashed and the bouncers cowering behind the bar!! Now I'm not condoning this but by f**k it was funny.....or so I thought!!
Me and my Army mate didnt want to get kicked out of the Army or sent to Colchester prison so we exited a bit sharpish!! 5 yards into my walk away from the pub.......BANG.....I was floored by two spotters who had only seen me and my mate walk into the pub....all hell break loose and then us leave!! On explanation they let us go on our way with a few cuts, bruises and sore arms which had been bent double behind my back! Then at the end of the street we heared some sirens..."must of kicked off at that pub" I said.....then this police van swerved around the corner and screeched to halt by me and my mate......BANG......smashed up against the wall by these coppers and a face full of wall!!! After yet another explanation we were free to go on our way. Feeling a little bit battered by now we continued on our way.
We were getting close to the ground and walking through various home and away fans when....yep you guessed it....BANG.... arms behind back and cuffs on and this time a face full of bonnet!! By this time Im starting to lose patience and was getting a bit sick of my impromptu yoga flex classes and started having a go at the coppers...bad move arms further up the back and knee in the small of my spine by some big oaf!! After an ill tempered explanation and a walk up and down infront of the video camera I was free to go again!!
At last we reached the ground...phew....I thought! Until the sheppards crook got me by the throat and yanked me backwards off my feet......this was not my day! After telling the story again I was told that when the we went into the pub the spotters had put a message out on their radios that a lad in a pink Lacoste cardigan and an accomplice had started a ruckas in the pub, caused a lot of damage and if they dont manage to get hold of them they should be arrested on site....the only problem was that after we had explained to them the story outside the pub they had forgotten to get back on the radios and tell the rest of the Thames Valley it had been sorted!!!
Well another day in the life of a City fan and one which I'll always remember!! My mate by the way said it was the best footy trip he'd ever been on and loved the City fans!! Had a few more trips to Elm Park since then and they must of got the message out as I've not been arrested since!! :lol: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: