Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

New Format for the play off's ?

Thu May 12, 2011 5:27 pm

It has been the way it is for 25 years - Is it fair? do you like the way the current play off's are scheduled?

Would you prefer a straight 3 up 3 down system?

I like the Idea that the team that finishes 3rd place in the league - Gets a By straight into the final of the play off - and the teams 4th and 5th in the league fight it out to be the 3rd place teams opponents in ONE game at a neutral ground - no second legs.....

Do you have any other ideas or do you think they should stay as they are? Does a team like Blackpool who finished 6th deserve a premier league spot when they could effectively finish on as much as 30 odd or more points less than 3rd place?

Re: New Format for the play off's ?

Thu May 12, 2011 5:29 pm

I think its fine as it is.

Thu May 12, 2011 5:32 pm

I like it the way it is Craig :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Thu May 12, 2011 5:42 pm

two up auto, and third to play off with premiership third from bottom

Thu May 12, 2011 5:53 pm

bluebirdbaz wrote:two up auto, and third to play off with premiership third from bottom

Never an option with two squads on totally different budgets throughout the year. Don't give a prem team a chance to stay up.

Thu May 12, 2011 5:54 pm

bluebirdbaz wrote:two up auto, and third to play off with premiership third from bottom

Did they not use to have 3rd, 4th and 5th in a playoff with the premier team that finished above the relegation spots.

So this year it would have been Swansea, Cardiff, Reading and the team that finishes 17th in the premiership. I think I would like a return to that.

Thu May 12, 2011 6:13 pm

i think if you finish 3rd or 4th you should be rewarded with a one off home game against the 5th and 6th teams! i`ve always felt that. its what they do in some non league leagues! ... that way sides like reading cant rest players in the final set of games!

Thu May 12, 2011 6:19 pm

"I like the Idea that the team that finishes 3rd place in the league - Gets a By straight into the final of the play off - and the teams 4th and 5th in the league fight it out to be the 3rd place teams opponents in ONE game at a neutral ground - no second legs..... "
that would be good to see, but 2 legs seems fair. with one game being played at a neutral ground then potentially going to wembley after that, i think it would take the excitement out of wembley, because at a neutral ground it would seem like promotion if your team won.
would be good to see though, good idea :ayatollah:

Thu May 12, 2011 7:06 pm

mini league in my opinion.

4 teams - 3 games each at a neutral venue

would be a great money spinner too.

just think, swansea could go up this year without even playing us.

They should do the same with the bottom of the prem. Make teams fight for survival in a mini league. Would be great.

Thu May 12, 2011 8:58 pm

its great the way it is :ayatollah:

Thu May 12, 2011 11:33 pm

i like it robert.
or just keep it as it is.

Thu May 12, 2011 11:34 pm

Merlin wrote:It has been the way it is for 25 years - Is it fair? do you like the way the current play off's are scheduled?

Would you prefer a straight 3 up 3 down system?

I like the Idea that the team that finishes 3rd place in the league - Gets a By straight into the final of the play off - and the teams 4th and 5th in the league fight it out to be the 3rd place teams opponents in ONE game at a neutral ground - no second legs.....

Do you have any other ideas or do you think they should stay as they are? Does a team like Blackpool who finished 6th deserve a premier league spot when they could effectively finish on as much as 30 odd or more points less than 3rd place?

25 years?? Really?? Strewth, I'm getting old!! :lol: :lol:

Fri May 13, 2011 1:59 am

AHERNE wrote:i think if you finish 3rd or 4th you should be rewarded with a one off home game against the 5th and 6th teams! i`ve always felt that. its what they do in some non league leagues! ... that way sides like reading cant rest players in the final set of games!

I do like that idea. I don't think being home second is that much of an advantage for finishing 3rd or 4th.

Fri May 13, 2011 11:37 am

That would be my idea too. the way iot was when the p/o's were first introduced. I'd take us against 3rd from bottom if we finished 3rd

Fri May 13, 2011 11:46 am

6th plays 5th
the winner of that plays 4th
the winner of that plays 3rd
the winner of that gets promoted

6th has to win 3 games to get promoted
5th has to win 3 games to get promoted
4th has to win 2 games to get promoted
3rd has to win one game to get promoted

odds stacked in 3rds favour, giving them a better chance overall, as they deserve it

Fri May 13, 2011 11:59 am

Hate play offs............money making excercise for the FA. IF you have a league over 46 games then that should be it................the team in 3rd should go up.
Forest last year :x
Jacks this year :evil:
the league table dont tell lies.