Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Anyone Else Notice?

Fri May 20, 2011 7:23 am

This season when we had kick off we'd always look to catch the opposition with a long ball over the top but instead it meant we'd instantly lose possession. I think only once or twice we troubled their goal from doing this. Other teams near the top would take kick off and make sure they kept onto possession for the first few minutes.

Was this alone proof that Jones was tactically flawed??? A small instance I know but it really could have been a metonym for his entire tactical library.

Re: Anyone Else Notice?

Fri May 20, 2011 7:28 am

It really is the simple things that tell us of a managers worth mate. I had noticed that, and it drove me mad.

The one that annoyed me the most was Whittingham sitting deeper in midfield than Oli, when I'm certain any other team would've done it the other way round. I thought at first it was just Oli going walkies, but it happened every match that they played together.

Fri May 20, 2011 7:31 am

We've been playing hoof ball under jones for 6yrs why we don't get the ball down and play is a mystery ?

Fri May 20, 2011 7:33 am

tylerdurdenisabluebird wrote:It really is the simple things that tell us of a managers worth mate. I had noticed that, and it drove me mad.

The one that annoyed me the most was Whittingham sitting deeper in midfield than Oli, when I'm certain any other team would've done it the other way round. I thought at first it was just Oli going walkies, but it happened every match that they played together.

Yeah, especially when Oli showed he could only play as a DM in a three man central midfield! *slaps hand on forehead*

Fri May 20, 2011 12:11 pm

Zabier wrote:
tylerdurdenisabluebird wrote:It really is the simple things that tell us of a managers worth mate. I had noticed that, and it drove me mad.

Yeah, especially when Oli showed he could only play as a DM in a three man central midfield! *slaps hand on forehead*

zabier

we have never had a competitive midfield this season hence the hoof ball
ironically for all the stck drinkwater had i thought when he was playing at his best we were a far better side and we played from the back in those games

Fri May 20, 2011 12:32 pm

We also slagged off Keogh before he left - but the guy ran his heart out trying to win the ball. Yet when he went - we missed a work horse similar to Chopra up front!

Fri May 20, 2011 12:34 pm

Merlin wrote:We also slagged off Keogh before he left - but the guy ran his heart out trying to win the ball. Yet when he went - we missed a work horse similar to Chopra up front!

I don't think Keogh was slagged off too badly and I think the majority wanted him to stay at least as back up to Chopra and Bothroyd.