Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Today in Court Chelsea v Cardiff

Fri May 27, 2011 9:40 pm

Crown court Today…not good again

Arrived at the court house at 10.15 and left at 4.30, a long day and another day of real sadness for the families of all those in court facing sentencing Today…The morning began with the Steve Evans and Mathew Brown for a pre-trial hearing…Matthew was adjourned until July facing sentencing for section 3 Affray…that July date will see the remainder of the City fans for trial all bar one. Steve was told to report back later in the day.
Steve was lucky that the court were happy to accept his defence but he was still found guilty of a section 4 and was ordered to do unpaid work and given a 3 year ban…

The next four appeared in the dock and lengthy videos were shown of their activities during the day and then they had to be sentenced…once again outstanding defence barristers did all they could but like Judge Edmunds had stated from day one, the sentences were set in stone in a sentence program that the barristers were aware of and he duly stuck to that system

First Andrew Pritchard who had a section 2 and a section 3 had two twelve month sentences to run alongside each other (concurrently) and a very long 8 year ban.
Wes was next and he had two section 3 affrays against him for which he received concurrent sentences of ten months and a 6 year ban.
Mark Evans from the Rhondda faced a section 2 and got 14 months and a 6 year ban, finally it was Steve O’Hara who had convinced the prosecutors to reduce his charges to section 4 and he was found guilty of that but was not asked to pay the normal costs of £250, he also had a 3 year ban and a 12 month order for community unpaid work, this was to be the last of the good news on a day of more heartache for the families of the remaining fans on trial.

The rest of the lads popped down to the Bridge pub for a couple of pints and a bit of grub in the knowledge it would be the last as free men for a while. The afternoon session began at 1.55.
The video evidence was not good for the rest of the day all was looking bad for the lads before sentencing
Tec was first to be sentenced and was facing 2 serious charges section 2 and section 3 he was hit hard but commended by the judge for his honesty and was duly given two 16 month sentences(running concurrent) and an 8 year ban

Next was Mike Thorne and again he was hit hard with a 14 month sentence and a 6 year ban a harsh sentence especially after listening to the mitigating evidence but that was true of all the lads to be fair, every barrister fought hard to help their clients but as we know the sentences were sorted regardless of any defence.

Finally in this session was Iain Thomas who got 12 months but unfortunately will only receive a third off in credit due to a couple of reasons including the lateness of the plea… unlike the rest of the lads who will get half off the sentences with full credit. Also a 6 year ban

Late in the afternoon saw the last three to be dealt with by the judge and the video evidence was very strong against them and again it was looking bleak…First up was Rob Gillard and he was already facing the penalty of breaking a current suspended sentence, he was hit with an 18 month sentence and an 18 week sentence to follow it in lieu of the broken suspended sentence On top of that he got a 6 year ban

That left a young lad whom we had real hope for clemency from the judge, the barrister painted an emotional excellent defence and mitigating evidence that allowed the court to pass a suspended sentence if desired and his parents already very upset waiting praying for a bit of leeway from Judge Edmunds, he started of thanking the defence for his words and saying some nice things but ended by saying that the only option in this case and as a warning to others that the courts would deal strongly with football related offences was an immediate custodial sentence, he duly gave the young lad 12 months, much to the dismay of the people in the public gallery…it was the most difficult part of the day.

I had a good chat to most of them today and they were well prepared and had stocked up their kit bags with everything they were allowed…they also know that the sentences will be halved and halved again so 16 months becomes 16 weeks(if TAG allowed) so it was not a shock to any of them but most of them looked drained but were very strong and dignified which really helped their families who were there to support them.

They were all transferred to Worm wood scrubs and hopefully they will get transferred closer to home ASAP…Spare a thought for them all Tonight and especially their families who are also suffering at this difficult time

Re: Today in Court Chelsea v Cardiff

Fri May 27, 2011 9:49 pm

Gutted for them all, especially Iain who i've got to know really well over the last few years.

Fri May 27, 2011 9:51 pm

Hats off to you paul, you deserve a medle.
all the best boys you have all been stitched up by one fugged up judge, chins up. :ayatollah:

Fri May 27, 2011 9:53 pm

Gutted to hear these stories. Tec has been on the scene for years real die -hard along with several other of the lads. Best wishes lads keep strong.

Fri May 27, 2011 9:56 pm

STITCHED UP SOME THINGS NEVER CHANGE JUST FINISHED MY TEN YEAR BAN FROM SJOKE THINKING OF THEM ALL ESPECIALY TEC ( WE GO BACK A LONG WAY ) :old: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Fri May 27, 2011 9:56 pm

It was another sad day but at least they had some knowledge of what they faced...there are still over 20 fans to face the judge mostly Chelsea now but over 50 have been jailed out of the 96 facing trial to date

Fri May 27, 2011 10:06 pm

woodyfromtred wrote:STITCHED UP SOME THINGS NEVER CHANGE JUST FINISHED MY TEN YEAR BAN FROM SJOKE THINKING OF THEM ALL ESPECIALY TEC ( WE GO BACK A LONG WAY ) :old: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

great your ban is over Woody !! I remember you seemed to be everywhere in the 90's Halo van hire trips !!!!! good to have you back :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Fri May 27, 2011 10:12 pm

MARRIED WITH KIDS NOW LONG GONE ARE THE HALO VAN TRIPS BEST YEARS OF MY LIFE MET SOME REAL GOOD FRIENDS, SOME NO LONGER WITH US ( DILLY WHAN ) WOULD NEVER HAVE MET THEM IF IT WASN,T FOR THE CITY :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: CITY TILL I DIE :ayatollah:

Fri May 27, 2011 10:18 pm

woodyfromtred wrote:MARRIED WITH KIDS NOW LONG GONE ARE THE HALO VAN TRIPS BEST YEARS OF MY LIFE MET SOME REAL GOOD FRIENDS, SOME NO LONGER WITH US ( DILLY WHAN ) WOULD NEVER HAVE MET THEM IF IT WASN,T FOR THE CITY :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: CITY TILL I DIE :ayatollah:

I know what you mean , despite the fact were knocking on the door of the prem you'll never beat the buzz of going away on spur of moment, in a transit van paying at the turnstile !!! :ayatollah: DIlly was a ledgend so sad hes no longer around !! I think I dropped you off once back to Tredegar I may have had a old battered orange/red fiesta !! lol :ayatollah:

Fri May 27, 2011 10:23 pm

COULDN,T TELL YOU HOW I GOT HOME HALF THE TIME ( DIDN,T MOST OF THE TIME ) BUT THANKS ANYWAY :lol: :lol: P.S IT ISN,T BIG AND IT WASN,T CLEVER :old: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: CITY TILL I DIE C,MON READING :lol: :lol:

Fri May 27, 2011 10:26 pm

was the young lad ellis :(

Fri May 27, 2011 10:33 pm

Gutted for them all. :(

I know 2 up in July Corky and both are expecting between 12-18 months so more bad news round the corner by the looks of it.

Fri May 27, 2011 10:38 pm

Hats off to you Corky for the support you have shown the lads. It all makes pretty horrile reading though bar Steve. Thoughts and best wishes to all.

Fri May 27, 2011 11:02 pm

Yes the young lad was Ellis from Rumney

Fri May 27, 2011 11:06 pm

Best to luck to all the lads. Feel for the families.

'Some people believe football is a matter of life and death. I'm very disappointed with that attitude. I can assure you it is much, much more important than that.'

At times like this. It is just a game.

All the best from a Jack.

Fri May 27, 2011 11:08 pm

thanks corky,gutted now mate,thanks for letting me know :(

Sat May 28, 2011 1:42 am

Good luck boys, especially my mate Rob Gillard. Looking forward 2 a pint when u get out! Thanks 2 Corky for the update!

Sat May 28, 2011 1:43 am

Corky, I know u have probably posted info in another thread, but do u have any info on how 2 send letters?

Sat May 28, 2011 5:37 am

very first thing I ever learned was that "if you can't do the time, don't do the crime". Speaks for itself don't it?

Sat May 28, 2011 5:43 am

Thanks corky , lad u were talking about I think is Ellis evans , good mate of Morgans , knew he was feeling it before , Morgan went to see him in the week to reassure him that's it's ok , just keep occupied. I've seen a difference in Morgan since he came out . Very reflective and does not talk about life inside at all

Sat May 28, 2011 6:54 am

Midfield general wrote:Its been 16 years since I went on down (for another matter other than football) and I must admit that it done me the world of good. However prison then was much tougher than it is these days but it does make you reflect on your life beforehand and where its led you in the end.

Personally I know understand people who continue to return to prison myself.

yep, all-in-all, a good experience that I woulnd't change if I could

Sat May 28, 2011 7:34 am

Londoner wrote:very first thing I ever learned was that "if you can't do the time, don't do the crime". Speaks for itself don't it?

thats a very true saying but on the filp side of this partcular coin the charges and sentencing have been delibrately upgraded and do not reflect normal punishments normally handed down for such behaviour
the law is there for everyone to be treated the same and football supporters should not be singled out for harsher punishments than any other person.
this same court is handing down suspended sentences for muggings, burglary and gbh

Sat May 28, 2011 7:42 am

Corky - I have a question. In your report about the afternoon session you state the video evidence was not good. Did you mean its of poor quality ?

If that's the case how could they use it against them ?

Sat May 28, 2011 8:49 am

Best of luck all the boys and there familys,Wez see you for a pint when your out and nice and slim.Time will soon go read loads of books and get a good job in there.

Sat May 28, 2011 9:49 am

Thanks Corky for the update, your following & reporting on this forum is a huge credit to your professionalism as a supporters guardian.

Sat May 28, 2011 9:59 am

Corky - I have a question. In your report about the afternoon session you state the video evidence was not good. Did you mean its of poor quality ?

If that's the case how could they use it against them ?

In most of the cases that video evidence was shown the majority of fans who go to games could have been likely to have been in that position themselves over the years...gesturing, waving arms about, being in an area where trouble was happening etc...that was the cause of many fans going to jail..the footage was quality and clear and each person was ringed for clarity....what I meant was the evidence was easy to see on a few of the cases late on (although the sentences were still too long) in comparison to the majority of the video evidence.

Out of the 96 charged and 55 in jail and going on the criteria for sentences dished out I can honestly say that apart from a 16 who were fighting or throwing stuff another 80 could be plucked from the videos and replace the 80 that were actually arrested...it was that easy to be guilty based on the rules they used for this case that constituted violent disorder or affray....5 years ago the same 80 I am talking about would have been charged with section 4 at worse and mainly section 5 public order offences...in my opinion.

You do a crime then you must accept the crime even though its the family and friends outside that share the consequences even though they are innocent, but in this case the public order act has been used as a weapon to set a powerful example to fans throughout England and Wales and the 96 caught up in this operation turnhill are the pawns in this game of political chess.

If they continually followed the sentencing guidelines set down by Judge Edmunds there would be football fans filling the jails next season.

Sat May 28, 2011 10:15 am

Corky

I'd like to say a BIG BIG thank you for all that you have done in this case as someone involved and luckily enough not to get custodial yesterday it is greatly appreciated!!! I hope people realise the great lengths you have gone through for all those involved! I know from my experience with my brother in this case that the families involved have been grateful for your updates.

On a personal note I'd like to thank you for what you have done for me! You're a good man!!

Cheers
Steve

Sat May 28, 2011 10:29 am

Thoughts with them all regardless.... :ayatollah:

Corky, excuse me if I missed it, but any more Chelski bods going up and were those already dealt with treated any differently to our lads??

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sat May 28, 2011 10:33 am

Well done Corky.
I hope it won't be too hard on the lads that were sent down. Feel gutted for the young lad.
Doesn't look good for our Chelsea lads who have previous.
Nice to see alot of your lads already out.

Sat May 28, 2011 10:43 am

Hi Steve,
Glad you came home home Yesterday mate, and thanks for saying that.

Football fans are definitely treated differently to other "criminals" so to speak and myself and Vince Alm will continue to do al we can through the Football supporters Federation to support football fans...You have to remember there were many innocent fans from both clubs and innocent passers by that day who were caught up in all that happened...and we all must continue working hard to try to prevent major incidents happening.

Failings that day were

a) letting six thousand Cardiff fans out into a narrow street already full of home fans...a thirty minute delay to ensure safety of all persons in the area would have prevented so much.

b) Allowing groups of banned known risk supporters hang around outside the stadium.

I think the authorities saw it as a chance to catch one or two people they have been targeting and it simply got out of hand and definitely out of control, resulting in the general public and the fans getting caught up in position that could so easily have been avoided.

Just my opinions of course but based on knowing that things could have been done differently at the bequest of the match commanders and his team...who are they accountable too?

This trial has cost millions and will someone be asked to justify the wrong decisions that day that lead to this huge loss of public money? Who knows but we definitely won't hear about it for sure.