Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Best football book you have read

Sat May 28, 2011 4:11 pm

The Robin Friday book The greatest player you never saw is mine
Any other recommendations

Re: Best football book you have read

Sat May 28, 2011 4:16 pm

Milkybarkid wrote:The Robin Friday book The greatest player you never saw is mine

yeah,read that,but mine would have to be gazza's autobiogriphy.

Sat May 28, 2011 4:20 pm

Milkybarkid wrote:The Robin Friday book The greatest player you never saw is mine

I've been told the Valley Rams book is a real good read. Lol

Sat May 28, 2011 4:25 pm

BigGwynram wrote:

I've been told the Valley Rams book is a real good read. Lol

So good that some fucker stole mine when I was only a third of the way through it.

Can't imagine there are many jocks called Paul with a signed copy up here so if I find them I will ram a size 9 right up their valley.

Sat May 28, 2011 4:38 pm

Paul McGraths book back from the brink is excellent....the drinking, the injury's it all in there along with some very comical moments!

Sat May 28, 2011 5:10 pm

Ive got a few, Stan Collymore's was excellent, Ray Kenedeys biography which said a lot about his battle with his Parkinson's illness, and a little known book called Shattered Dreams by someone called A. Abraham :lol: a great read as well :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sat May 28, 2011 5:13 pm

Can't wait for DJ's next one " Don't Blame me, Blame it on the Boozies". Or " Here for a Eternity". Or " War and Peace Off ". Best footie book I've read Fever Pitch.

Sat May 28, 2011 5:19 pm

surroundedbysaxons wrote:Can't wait for DJ's next one " Don't Blame me, Blame it on the Boozies". Or " Here for a Eternity". Or " War and Peace Off ". Best footie book I've read Fever Pitch.

:lol: I forgot about Fever Pitch :oops: yes i agree it is the great book about being a football fan, and give's people a great understanding of why we as fans do what we do, many of my family and friends over the years have thought i was insane following the City everywhere, i just tell them read Fever Pitch, then you'll understand :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sat May 28, 2011 5:23 pm

Ridsdale's book and loved rise and fall of the Valley Rams by Gwyn

Sat May 28, 2011 5:25 pm

Dave Jones and of course shattered dreams ;)

Sat May 28, 2011 5:33 pm

Gotta say I have probably read all of the "hooligan culture" books and the best read by far is The Rise And Fall Of The Valley Rams top read and tells it as it was, they had some great times! :lol:

Sat May 28, 2011 5:36 pm

Roy of the Rovers Christmas Annual 19**:old: ;)

Sat May 28, 2011 5:45 pm

blue nile wrote:Ive got a few, Stan Collymore's was excellent, Ray Kenedeys biography which said a lot about his battle with his Parkinson's illness, and a little known book called Shattered Dreams by someone called A. Abraham :lol: a great read as well :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

stan collymores dogging sessions :o :lol:

Sat May 28, 2011 6:29 pm

DJs was good.

I have read "Migs" one which was obviously Luton Town that my m8 lent me, good read

Sat May 28, 2011 6:32 pm

annis's two new book "Bring back sam" and "we hate dave jones" :lol:

Sat May 28, 2011 7:59 pm

Mickey Quinns
Who ate all the pies !!!

Sat May 28, 2011 8:02 pm

brain cloughs book! :ayatollah:

Sat May 28, 2011 8:13 pm

soul crew(the original one) or Valley rams

Sat May 28, 2011 8:23 pm

It's been emotional wrote:Mickey Quinns
Who ate all the pies !!!

Read that one a good read

Sat May 28, 2011 8:49 pm

TERRYB wrote:Gotta say I have probably read all of the "hooligan culture" books and the best read by far is The Rise And Fall Of The Valley Rams top read and tells it as it was, they had some great times! :lol:

Easilly the best book i've ever wtitten. :lol:

Sat May 28, 2011 8:58 pm

The Valley Rams was excellent.Phil Stant,s was awesome. Andy Leggs was an excellent read.Annis are quality

Sat May 28, 2011 9:00 pm

Nuclearblue wrote:The Valley Rams was excellent.Phil Stant,s was awesome. Andy Leggs was an excellent read.Annis are quality

indeed I forgot about Leggys book, only a cheap short read but an excellent one :ayatollah:

Sat May 28, 2011 9:06 pm

Going back a while, but Hunter Davies' book 'The Glory Game', following Tottenham in 70/71 I think. I had a mate at the time who was a huge THFC fan, and he lent it to me. Really broke new ground.

'Fever Pitch' probably changed the way a lot of people think about football.

'A Season with Verona' by Tim Parks is brilliant, and gives a real fan's view of Italy, its football, and the Ultra culture.

But Annis' books are right up with the best. And the Valley Rams book. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sat May 28, 2011 11:05 pm

the miracle of castel di sangro
barca
and autobiographies by steve claridge, garry nelson, barry fry and tony cascarino

Sun May 29, 2011 10:56 am

loved the shattered dreams,cardiff city through the years by annis,rise and fall of valley rams by gwyn,andy leggs alive and kicking ,phil stants autobiography and jeff marsh the trouble with taffies

Sun May 29, 2011 11:01 am

ooh aah stantona :ayatollah:

Sun May 29, 2011 11:12 am

Its only a game by eamon dunphy is well worth a read.diary of a season playing for millwall in the 70's.
He also contributes to the robin friday book.very controversial journalist nowadays and the best t.v. Pundit ive ever seen

Sun May 29, 2011 11:25 am

It's been emotional wrote:Mickey Quinns
Who ate all the pies !!!

a very good read :ayatollah:

Sun May 29, 2011 12:36 pm

Fever pitch and hoolifan.

Sun May 29, 2011 1:04 pm

biggy wrote:
blue nile wrote:Ive got a few, Stan Collymore's was excellent, Ray Kenedeys biography which said a lot about his battle with his Parkinson's illness, and a little known book called Shattered Dreams by someone called A. Abraham :lol: a great read as well :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

stan collymores dogging sessions :o :lol:

Funny thing he does not mention that :lol: :lol: :lol: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: