Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: Whittingham off to Norwich

Sat May 28, 2011 10:16 pm

RFMH wrote:He's "apparently" being signed by a Prem team and our fans are slagging him off saying he's not good enough.

Whitts was easily one of our best performcers last season and, other than Ramsey, our best Midfield player. When we played:

Burke Drinkwater Oly Whitts Bellamy

We were devastating, then DJ got cold feet and decided he must try his 'tried and tested 4-4-2'

Hope this isn't true, we lack players in midfield as it is, never mind recovering someone with his quality.

Yeah definitely Burkey Drinky Oly Whitts Bellers was our best midfield when Rambo wasn't here. It worked really well against Donny at home after Chops got injured but DJ didn't really use it much after then even though it was so effective!!! It allowed Burkey and Bellers the licence to get forward and link up with Jay and when defending Burke and bellers came back to help out in a 5 man midfield which = 4-3-3 when attacking, 4-5-1 when defending :ayatollah:

Sat May 28, 2011 10:34 pm

Midfield general wrote:We should have cashed in on him last year when Forest come looking. As long as its £1million plus then Im very happy.

We would have if we got the cash but his arse belongs to Mr Ranson

Sat May 28, 2011 10:42 pm

I hope it aint true

I like whitts, the only player who seems to look for pass and has a shot

I dont think hes lazy, I just think he aint got that bit of pace

:ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sat May 28, 2011 10:42 pm

jaybothroyd wrote:
RFMH wrote:He's "apparently" being signed by a Prem team and our fans are slagging him off saying he's not good enough.

Whitts was easily one of our best performcers last season and, other than Ramsey, our best Midfield player. When we played:

Burke Drinkwater Oly Whitts Bellamy

We were devastating, then DJ got cold feet and decided he must try his 'tried and tested 4-4-2'

Hope this isn't true, we lack players in midfield as it is, never mind recovering someone with his quality.

Yeah definitely Burkey Drinky Oly Whitts Bellers was our best midfield when Rambo wasn't here. It worked really well against Donny at home after Chops got injured but DJ didn't really use it much after then even though it was so effective!!! It allowed Burkey and Bellers the licence to get forward and link up with Jay and when defending Burke and bellers came back to help out in a 5 man midfield which = 4-3-3 when attacking, 4-5-1 when defending :ayatollah:

Drinkwater got injured remember.Never was fit after that.

Sat May 28, 2011 10:45 pm

f**k me , you lot think we can replace him with messi . Look at.the bigger picture, we need any bit of quality available for next season or we'll end up like Plymouth the way our club is going. get real :|

Sat May 28, 2011 10:47 pm

f**k me , you lot think we can replace him with messi . Look at.the bigger picture, we need any bit of quality available for next season or we'll end up like Plymouth the way our club is going. get real :|

Sun May 29, 2011 3:55 am

boyo1927 wrote:Just been told Whitts is on his way to Norwich!

hope so but i think thats a joke.. hes not good enough are you mistaken and maybe hes off to northwich victoria>? :lol:

Sun May 29, 2011 4:15 am

All the best. Lived off 1 season...Same as Ledley. Should have sold him in 2010 :roll:

Sun May 29, 2011 8:07 am

evil c wrote:f**k me , you lot think we can replace him with messi . Look at.the bigger picture, we need any bit of quality available for next season or we'll end up like Plymouth the way our club is going. get real :|

And the money for the wage bill comes from where precisely?

We've massive debts.

Get real :p

Sun May 29, 2011 8:31 am

Our midfield was our worse department this season. The only time we really looked good was when Ramsey was here. We had a brief spell of quality there at the start of the season with Oli and Drinkwater but their injuries totally screwed up that.

I can see a new manager totally deleting our present midfield and starting again.

Sun May 29, 2011 8:56 am

Whitts is a good player and I would be sorry to see him go .The team failed to get promotion and you lot think its fine to just get rid of em all well I think you are wrong.I think you have to have some players from last season stay you cant change the hole team enough have gone now.

The more important issue is the manager's position which needs to be concluded yesterday.I Cant see any players coming in or out until we no the manager for next season.

They have had enough time to decide now so just tell us whats going on and we can kick on with preparing for the coming season.

I think enough players have gone already we cant bring in a hole new squad of players some times you lot are nuts.

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sun May 29, 2011 8:59 am

Bakedalasker wrote:Our midfield was our worse department this season. The only time we really looked good was when Ramsey was here. We had a brief spell of quality there at the start of the season with Oli and Drinkwater but their injuries totally screwed up that.

I can see a new manager totally deleting our present midfield and starting again.

I agree Ian, but not only the midfield, but the defense as well. Our defense, particularly this [last] season has at best, been average, & at worst, bloody woeful. As a manager you should start at the back, after all, if you don't concede goals you won't lose games. The defensive & midfield situations/problems at Cardiff City are ones that Dave Jones just hasn't got right in the six years that he has been at our club, imho.

Sun May 29, 2011 9:03 am

So with all these departures, that leaves us with NAYLOR to fight our corner... :oops: :oops: :oops: :ayatollah:

Sun May 29, 2011 9:07 am

supercoops wrote:So with all these departures, that leaves us with NAYLOR to fight our corner... :oops: :oops: :oops: :ayatollah:

Personally, i would show him the door as well.

Sun May 29, 2011 9:52 am

RICK+CCFC wrote:
Bakedalasker wrote:Our midfield was our worse department this season. The only time we really looked good was when Ramsey was here. We had a brief spell of quality there at the start of the season with Oli and Drinkwater but their injuries totally screwed up that.

I agree Ian, but not only the midfield, but the defense as well. Our defense, particularly this [last] season has at best, been average, & at worst, bloody woeful. As a manager you should start at the back, after all, if you don't concede goals you won't lose games. The defensive & midfield situations/problems at Cardiff City are ones that Dave Jones just hasn't got right in the six years that he has been at our club, imho.

Agree mostly.

The defence started to improve at the end of last season with Quinn at right back, Hudson and Keinan in central defence and MacNaughton on the left. With Hudson injured and putting MacNaughton in central it made the defence vunerable, specially on the left side with Naylor or Samuels there.

I do feel with the remaining defenders of Hudson, Keinan, McNaughton and Quinn we do have something to build on. Hopefully Gerrard will stay which will strengthen us immensely. If we can find replacement for Naylor, Matthews and John with proper defenders we could be ok in defence.

When it comes to midfield though its a rebuild job. We need stealth there, another hungry Drinkwater we witnessed at the start of last season. I will be happy to retain Oli but only as a backup. Whittingham is a strange case as I think his style is more suited to premiership than the hustle and bustle of the championship. Rae and McPhail are passed it now and it is a shame the likes of Wildig have not stepped up to the mark to replace them. With the departure of Burke you can now see it really is a rebuild job.

Sun May 29, 2011 9:55 am

nerd wrote:
evil c wrote:f**k me , you lot think we can replace him with messi . Look at.the bigger picture, we need any bit of quality available for next season or we'll end up like Plymouth the way our club is going. get real :|

We've massive debts.

ok then let`s look in the welsh league for a replacement, get a team together and pay them £200 a week. record season ticket sales for starters, we`ve always had massive debts :roll:

Sun May 29, 2011 10:32 am

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Tr ... 41721.html

The press now have wind of the deal! Told you so! Good luck Whitts a decent player leaves!

Sun May 29, 2011 10:35 am

evil c wrote:
nerd wrote:

We've massive debts.

ok then let`s look in the welsh league for a replacement, get a team together and pay them £200 a week. record season ticket sales for starters, we`ve always had massive debts :roll:

Cool.

I'd assume you thus slap everything on the plastic and then wonder why the bailiffs come around, eh?

if you want to use an analogy, please try using a real one rather than a farcical one which devalues any point you may have. We can afford far better than Welsh league players, as you well know, based upon our income.

Sun May 29, 2011 10:56 am

Ah, right! So what you are saying is get rid of everyone on a high wage ( probably 90% of the squad ) and bring in better players on a lower wage. yeah, that'll get quality players flocking to s. Wales

Sun May 29, 2011 11:09 am

If he is mortgaged & we'd get little income, so why would we want to sell? Can see the obvious attraction for Whitts tho, a chance at the Premiership would would suit his style; but he's our midfield on his own next season! :o

Sun May 29, 2011 2:27 pm

lets be honest he had one great season for us i aint going to slag him off he has been a good servent to us if he go's then so be it :ayatollah:

Sun May 29, 2011 6:32 pm

boyo1927 wrote:this wont happen

Why do you say that?[/quote]
well where did you hear it?[/quote]

does a magician reveal his tricks! :lol: Its off an extremely reliable source lets just say! Nothing is actually signed yet but I would expect the deal to go through![/quote]
we'll see then

Sun May 29, 2011 6:35 pm

Whitts is a class player. I think we need to utilise his ability next season by playing him through the middle.

Looks a far far far better player in central midfield than out wide.

Its not his fault he sometimes goes missing in games, he's not the quickest of players, so when out wide - how's he meant to beat a player?

He's had some superb performances this season in central midfield.

Sun May 29, 2011 6:37 pm

ANDYBLUE wrote:lets be honest he had one great season for us i aint going to slag him off he has been a good servent to us if he go's then so be it :ayatollah:

well i thought he was a more influential player the season just gone than the season where he notched 25 goals. his work rate has increased dramatically, he covers more ground, he's got great vision and can land a ball on a sixpence from 50 yards.

36 goals from midfield in 2 seasons, countless assists, i have no idea why people think whitts is not in our top 3 players (I'd have him at number 1)

Sun May 29, 2011 6:42 pm

Feedback wrote:
ANDYBLUE wrote:lets be honest he had one great season for us i aint going to slag him off he has been a good servent to us if he go's then so be it :ayatollah:

well i thought he was a more influential player the season just gone than the season where he notched 25 goals. his work rate has increased dramatically, he covers more ground, he's got great vision and can land a ball on a sixpence from 50 yards.

36 goals from midfield in 2 seasons, countless assists, i have no idea why people think whitts is not in our top 3 players (I'd have him at number 1)

In addition to that, he has improved the defensive element of his game fold. Always tracks back and does his bit in defence. Also not afraid to go into challenges and battle hard.

He tried really hard against Reading and boro at home. You could see the losses were hurting him and I genuinely believe Whitt's cares about the club!!!

Sun May 29, 2011 6:45 pm

He won't cut it in the Prem even though his defensive work has improved i still don't believe he will get 1st team football.. all the best to him though if he does go :ayatollah: