Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

The £90m 'Jackpot'

Mon May 30, 2011 11:04 am

It is often mentioned that today's Championship final is the richest game in football with the winner receiving the keys to a minimum £90m fortune spread over the next 4 years.

That might be true but to put it into context did you know that Vincent Tan's betting arm of his Berjaya Corporation estimate that within the first year of legal gambling in Malaysia revenue's will between £64 and £90m?

It is also projected that in the next 6 years after the licence is granted Tan expects to capture at least 60% of the illegal gambling market and revenues will rise to an incredible half a billion pounds by 2020.

The politics in Malaysia are complicated because of the 52% Muslim majority where strict religious laws prohibit gambling, but the sizable 30% Chinese ethnic minority absolutely love their gambling and feel victimised by the fact they cannot gamble legally.

It is because of this division that the Malaysian Government will give Tan a betting licence; it's just a matter of timing. If we had got into the Premier League by beating Blackpool in 2010 then I really believe Tan would have kept his provisional betting licence which he was given just as he got involved with Cardiff City but was withdrawn within days of our defeat to Blackpool.

The next General Election in Malaysia will be held no later than 30 April 2013. The current Prime Minister Najib Razak and his UMNO Party (United Malays National Organisation) are expected to win and Tan is very close to the PM and a financial backer of UMNO.

It is my full belief Tan will receive his betting licence very soon after that General Election and by September of 2013 the full takeover and debt settlements of CCFC are due to take place by the agreement made last year.

So while it is frustrating not knowing the full intentions of the Malaysian's, if you take a mid-term view like I do then you can see that their present outlay so far (£18m approx) and even the Premiership riches (£90m) are really nothing compared to Tan's bigger picture, of which we are a small but very important part.

I fully expect that Tan will back the manager again next year and if we don’t make it by this time next year he will throw the kitchen sink at it to get into the PL by 2013.

Re: The £90m 'Jackpot'

Mon May 30, 2011 11:07 am

Brilliant read :ayatollah:

Mon May 30, 2011 11:14 am

Very interesting tony, my only concern is who the "manager" will be?

Mon May 30, 2011 11:14 am

Cracking post, hope he sticks around for a long long time,
We`ll benefit massively from him and his money.

Thats put a smile on the face knowing what could happen to the Jacks come 5pm. Bollocks to them anyway,

They`ll have a huge party if they win down west and everyone will be shagging everyone!!!!!!
Oh no sorry, thats just another normal day in Jackland. :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mon May 30, 2011 11:16 am

a good read tony for sure, but i dont get what cardiff city getting in the PL or not will have anything to do with him achieving his malaysian goal

Mon May 30, 2011 11:23 am

Totally agree Tony.

The need to get into the premiership is paramount for the Malaysians plans to work. If anything the lesson these Malaysians have learnt is that throwing money at getting us up does not work. Well you do need ot throw money at it but it needs to be used properly that is all. We need someone in place who can make the best of it.

Mon May 30, 2011 11:30 am

Tony Blue Williams wrote:It is often mentioned that today's Championship final is the richest game in football with the winner receiving the keys to a minimum £90m fortune spread over the next 4 years.

That might be true but to put it into context did you know that Vincent Tan's betting arm of his Berjaya Corporation estimate that within the first year of legal gambling in Malaysia revenue's will between £64 and £90m?

It is also projected that in the next 6 years after the licence is granted Tan expects to capture at least 60% of the illegal gambling market and revenues will rise to an incredible half a billion pounds by 2020.

The politics in Malaysia are complicated because of the 52% Muslim majority where strict religious laws prohibit gambling, but the sizable 30% Chinese ethnic minority absolutely love their gambling and feel victimised by the fact they cannot gamble legally.

It is because of this division that the Malaysian Government will give Tan a betting licence; it's just a matter of timing. If we had got into the Premier League by beating Blackpool in 2010 then I really believe Tan would have kept his provisional betting licence which he was given just as he got involved with Cardiff City but was withdrawn within days of our defeat to Blackpool.

The next General Election in Malaysia will be held no later than 30 April 2013. The current Prime Minister Najib Razak and his UMNO Party (United Malays National Organisation) are expected to win and Tan is very close to the PM and a financial backer of UMNO.

It is my full belief Tan will receive his betting licence very soon after that General Election and by September of 2013 the full takeover and debt settlements of CCFC are due to take place by the agreement made last year.

So while it is frustrating not knowing the full intentions of the Malaysian's, if you take a mid-term view like I do then you can see that their present outlay so far (£18m approx) and even the Premiership riches (£90m) are really nothing compared to Tan's bigger picture, of which we are a small but very important part.

I fully expect that Tan will back the manager again next year and if we don’t make it by this time next year he will throw the kitchen sink at it to get into the PL by 2013.

right on the money tony
we have always been a pawn in a much bigger game plan and thats why i think we will go for promotion again and that the malaysians are looking for the right management team to ensure that happens.
also a reason they will ultimately go it alone and eventually get rid of all the creditors albeit they will still try to reduce those debts further by negotiation