Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

" If Craig Wants The Managers Job He Should Get It "

Tue May 31, 2011 8:05 am

Since Carl first suggested the prospect of Craig being offered the player / coach role for next season I have been thinking that maybe he should be given the Managers job if he wanted it.

I remember 33 years ago when a then 29 year old ex Bluebird player, John Toshack, was looking for a club having been released by Liverpool sadly at that time our short sighted board and manager who probably feared having him around the club declined the opportunity.

Swansea City had no such reservation and offered him the role of player manager without hesitation even though he had no obvious experience in the role. What John Toshack did have though was the experience of working with 2 great managers, Shankley at Liverpool and Scoular at Cardiff.

That experience together with his excellent contacts allowed him to put together, at little cost, a highly experienced squad at Swansea City and that experience together with a great group of young players took the Swansa from 4th to the top of the 1st Division.

Craig is a better player than John Toshack ever was he has also played under some absolutely great managers, Sir Bobby Robson, Martin O'Neill, Rafa Benitez and Mark Hughes to name a few. Craig also have fantastic connections within football and his name may just be enough to attract some top class highly experienced players to the club.

The club missed a golden opportunity back in 1978 we must not miss this opportunity because they don't come round very often. So TG & VT offer him the job give him the support you offered Jones and the Bluebirds could soon be joining the PL and staying there. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Re: If Craig Wants The Managers Job He Should Get It

Tue May 31, 2011 8:06 am

no chance

Re: If Craig Wants The Managers Job He Should Get It

Tue May 31, 2011 8:07 am

Or he could crash and burn.....i really dont think he has the right temperament at the moment

Re: " If Craig Wants The Managers Job He Should Get It "

Tue May 31, 2011 8:08 am

I can totally see where Castleblue is coming from, also Craig is Hungry for Success, He has the appetite and is a leader, with Passion and Guts. I would like to see Craig as Player/Coach :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

We made a big mistake turning Toshack away and it came back to haunt us, The Malaysians Def want Bells :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Tue May 31, 2011 8:11 am

No Chance, to high a risk, crash and burn were all used in 1978 regarding John Toshack when he took charge at Swansea but he acheived something no other manager has before or since.

Cardiff ended up with Richie Morgan in 1978 who did an OK job the inexperienced Toshack did a quite magnificent job at Swansea on the back of his connections in the game.

I think we will be amazed at the type of player Craig would attract to the club. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Tue May 31, 2011 8:11 am

player yes wrong attitute to be a coach or manager.dont get me wrong hes done brilliant for us but i couldnt see many wanting to play for him.

Tue May 31, 2011 8:14 am

Forever Blue wrote:I can totally see where Castleblue is coming from, also Craig is Hungry for Success, He has the appetite and is a leader, with Passion and Guts. I would like to see Craig as Player/Coach :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

We made a big mistake turning Toshack away and it came back to haunt us, The Malaysians Def want Bells :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Annis you remember we turned Toshack away and ended up with Richie Morgan, this is a once in a lifetime opportunity as a club we must take it in my opinion. Toshack was player manager at the Swans with an experienced coach on the line supporting him the same would work here in my opinion. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Tue May 31, 2011 8:15 am

keano wrote:player yes wrong attitute to be a coach or manager.dont get me wrong hes done brilliant for us but i couldnt see many wanting to play for him.

I think your wrong because the very best players have the same attitude as Craig it's called being a winner :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Tue May 31, 2011 8:19 am

castleblue wrote:
keano wrote:player yes wrong attitute to be a coach or manager.dont get me wrong hes done brilliant for us but i couldnt see many wanting to play for him.

I think your wrong because the very best players have the same attitude as Craig it's called being a winner :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

You dont get more of a winner than roy keane and look at him, or bryan robson i think players like that have trouble managing less capable players, or players that cant reach the standards they did

Tue May 31, 2011 8:23 am

I always thought that missing out on Toshack in the late seventies was a major error of judgment by CCFC, bearing in mind he Wanted to come here first. Our club will always live to regret that decision. We have to get this one right!!! :old: :old:

Tue May 31, 2011 8:32 am

Toshack was way past his best when he joined Swansea. Craig has still got another 2 seasons at his best as a player. We would get the most out of him by using him as a player only at this time. Let him take his coaching badges in the meantime but concentrate his efforts for the team ON the pitch not off it. We need experience at getting promoted from this division as manager in my opinion.....

Tue May 31, 2011 8:41 am

TOTALLY AGREED lets not make another error like we did with Tosh. I know I have been harping on about it but bring someone in with him for the first year or so while Craig still has so much to offer on the field before he hangs up his boots. Keegan fits the bill for me short term contract. Or maybe someone like Steve Clarke/Ray Wilkins? BELLAMY is my favourite long term, none of these candidates do it for me, they have all failed before just like Jones

Tue May 31, 2011 8:43 am

Forever Blue wrote:I can totally see where Castleblue is coming from, also Craig is Hungry for Success, He has the appetite and is a leader, with Passion and Guts. I would like to see Craig as Player/Coach :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

food on the brain have you? :ayatollah: :lol:

Tue May 31, 2011 9:41 am

Before we can even consider Bellamy as even part of our club let's not forget we have to do a deal with Man City, he may be in the plans of Mancini, once we get past that hurdle then we can consider all options open to us. Personally I believe a player/ coach role would be more suitable at this current time, he would still have influence over recruitment plus he would have the team really fit also fired up. He probably could also as previously stated help to bring in some very good players but you then have the scenario of what are these players gonna cost? as I understand the Malaysians are planning to keep a lid on wages etc this season. It's a fine balancing act but the club must make every effort to accomadate him somewhere next season in their plans.

Tue May 31, 2011 10:36 am

I agree with you however I feel we need an experienced manager and Craig could have a player-coach role as he will still be able to play and could be our motivator etc like he is doing now but with a higher status and authority :ayatollah:

Tue May 31, 2011 10:52 am

Kevin Keegan turned Newcastle Utd into a the 2nd best team in the country.

Keegan was a shitty coach, but knew how to get the best out of his players.

Have Bellers as the Keegan type manager and then bring in coaches to work with him.

Tue May 31, 2011 11:11 am

Craig and Kevin Keegan have a lot in common.

Both went down a league when they chose to play for their local team - Like Craig, Keegan could of stayed in the top div.

Craig and Keegan bring something that DJ could never bring. They bring a drive and passion to the club.

Sometimes passion and drive alone will do wonders.

Tue May 31, 2011 11:19 am

Nukes's view is we want a dynamic motivated manager that cares and loves the Club, and Craig fits the bill hands down.
Whatever Manager we bring in there will be a risk and it would be no different with Craig. Other teams have bought in a Manager with no experience and have hit the ground running, i think Craig for a start would bring the Players and fans together and that is what we desperately need we all need to be as one.
Also the experience side of it, he has gathered that all through his Career, watching learning from every Manager he has been under good or bad, He is a Leader he is a former Welsh Captain and for him to become a Manager he would calm down in a good way. And in my opinion i really think he will make a fantastc Manager and he would be OUR MANAGER !!

Tue May 31, 2011 11:32 am

Nuclearblue wrote:Nukes's view is we want a dynamic motivated manager that cares and loves the Club, and Craig fits the bill hands down.
Whatever Manager we bring in there will be a risk and it would be no different with Craig. Other teams have bought in a Manager with no experience and have hit the ground running, i think Craig for a start would bring the Players and fans together and that is what we desperately need we all need to be as one.
Also the experience side of it, he has gathered that all through his Career, watching learning from every Manager he has been under good or bad, He is a Leader he is a former Welsh Captain and for him to become a Manager he would calm down in a good way. And in my opinion i really think he will make a fantastc Manager and he would be OUR MANAGER !!

Spot on :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Tue May 31, 2011 12:21 pm

No way. Atleast, not yet.

We need a proper manager with PASSION or someone like Chris Hughton in my opinion.

Tue May 31, 2011 1:12 pm

Hughton is nothing special.

He had a Newcastle squad worth of 40 million to work with.

Keegan did wonders with Newcastle.

Hughton just took a Prem team back to the Prem.

Barton - £75,000 a week.

Smith - £60,000 a week.

Tue May 31, 2011 1:39 pm

JonCCFC wrote:No way. Atleast, not yet.

We need a proper manager with PASSION or someone like Chris Hughton in my opinion.

Craig Bellamy doesn't have passion :shock:

Tue May 31, 2011 3:55 pm

I have absolutely no reason or explanation why, but Craig Bellamy as our manager would work brilliantly

Tue May 31, 2011 6:37 pm

Bellars does'nt want the job, end of!

Tue May 31, 2011 6:53 pm

No for me bellas is a good player and this day and age you can not play and manage end of.

Let him play for us next year and see what happens then may be a coaches roll would be good.

To bring Craig here as a manager is nuts to me don't get me wrong I love Craig the man is god just magic.

The manager needs to be somebody to rebuild and stabilize the club with that all needed experience which craig doesn't have.

It would be another gamble and its a gamble I wouldn't take at this time.

Bellas as a city player again next season for me would be fantastic love watching him play his commitment to Cardiff is just brilliant so if it happens again that he plays captain fantastic would make me smile all season

Tue May 31, 2011 7:01 pm

Bellamy as Manager???????? :thumbdown: I think you need a whiff of smelling salts, too much of a risk and would be a huge backwards step imo.....