Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Malaysians Dealing With Langston Debt?

Tue May 31, 2011 2:05 pm

I'm not very good at the financial ins and outs of the Langston debt but it is hitting me that the Malaysians dealing with the debt might not be all flowers and honey. Yes, the Malaysians paying the debt to Langston will get Langston off our case but surely to cover the debt, the Malaysians will need to take a loan out and I am guessing they'll put it against the club so that they are technically paying the interest to themselves?

Am I way off? Now, I am of the school of thought that I would have Sam Hammam back in a football consultant role away from the financial side if it meant the debt was rid of but ideally I would like a new era and a fresh start. However, what if in a worse case scenario the Malaysians decide enough is enough (i.e. if by horrific events we go down next season)... will they want to re-coup the debt money immediately? Will they be at all understanding?

Don't get me wrong, I am glad the debt is being addressed and maybe it is better that the Malaysians pay interest to themselves as our owners rather than Langston but it does make me slightly aware of the potential that the Malaysians will have us by the balls.

Now before anyone kicks off about me not knowing shit, I don't know shit so a lot of this could be bollocks. I'd like your thoughts on it though and if anyone has any knowledge of the financial side if they could give their opinions. :ayatollah:

Re: Malaysians Dealing With Langston Debt?

Tue May 31, 2011 2:58 pm

Or, reading the statement, it's way more likely they have told Hammam to go whistle, with the threat of investigating every single penny spent by Sam whilst chairman.

Which means I'd be amazed if a low offer wasn't made and accepted soon enough.

Tue May 31, 2011 4:41 pm

nerd wrote:Or, reading the statement, it's way more likely they have told Hammam to go whistle, with the threat of investigating every single penny spent by Sam whilst chairman.

I have come to the same conclusion. Ask yourself this. Could Sam Hammam afford for this affair to be drawn out into a very long and expensive legal affair with no real certainty of coming out on top in a court of law?

Tue May 31, 2011 4:44 pm

Two very valid points. It would make sense. I guess in that respect you'd be more comfortable with the Malaysians in control of a smaller debt? I would be interested to see what this money was spent on and I wonder if revelations will ever be made.

Tue May 31, 2011 4:46 pm

ihatealiens wrote:
nerd wrote:Or, reading the statement, it's way more likely they have told Hammam to go whistle, with the threat of investigating every single penny spent by Sam whilst chairman.

I have come to the same conclusion. Ask yourself this. Could Sam Hammam afford for this affair to be drawn out into a very long and expensive legal affair with no real certainty of coming out on top in a court of law?

Perhaps it will determine if he REALLY DID HAVE £12m to spend on the club should he have previously manages to wangle his way back in ?

I would imagine VT and TG have big plans for the future of CCFC and know in time given their Gambling Licensing future requirements - They will later reap the rewards financially and do not want to be sharing such great profits with 3rd parties.... I am guessing at some point that they will become more than 51% share holders.

Tue May 31, 2011 4:49 pm

I think as soon as the langston situation is sorted out (i think they will try and do sam over like riddler) they will then assume total control of the club....they just want to pay as little for it as possible :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Tue May 31, 2011 5:08 pm

Merlin wrote:
ihatealiens wrote:

Perhaps it will determine if he REALLY DID HAVE £12m to spend on the club should he have previously manages to wangle his way back in ?

I would imagine VT and TG have big plans for the future of CCFC and know in time given their Gambling Licensing future requirements - They will later reap the rewards financially and do not want to be sharing such great profits with 3rd parties.... I am guessing at some point that they will become more than 51% share holders.

I agree and I don't think that time will be too far away :ayatollah: .

Tue May 31, 2011 5:23 pm

I fully trust the Malaysians and Gethin Jenkins.

I am sad for Sam, as he did a lot for this club that many won't acknowledge and he comes in for a lot of unfair criticism, but his time has now come and gone.

Onwards and upwards :ayatollah: