Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

I don't get why so many want Di Matteo as manager?

Tue May 31, 2011 10:36 pm

Let's have a look at his career so far. He's still inexperienced and is mostly known from his recent stint with West Brom. But before West Brom, Di Matteo had his first spell as a manager when he finished third in League 1 with MK Dons and lost in the playoff semi's. This sounds a good achievement, but Di Matteo took over from Paul Ince and it was Ince who assembled that squad, so Di Matteo already had the players to work with.

Di Matteo then joined West Brom and had one season in the Championship where he took them up in second pace behind Newcastle, but still, West Brom had their parachute payments and didn't need to sell any of their players after their relegation from the Premiership the previous season. So once again, Di Matteo had the squad of players to take them up, much like Chris Hughton at Newcastle in my opinion. The following season in the Premiership, Di Matteo struggled and got sacked. He kept his squad of players and added to the squad, but I honestly think he would have taken West Brom back down and I don't think he was up to it tactically against better teams at a higher level.

Just my opinion, but I don't understand why so many of you want him in to be our next manager and I feel there's plenty of better candidates with a proven track record of success.

Re: I don't get why so many want Di Matteo as manager?

Tue May 31, 2011 10:37 pm

agreed me old china ;)

Tue May 31, 2011 10:44 pm

Yup I agree as well! Too much of a risk for my liking! Could prove to be a good manager but there are better managers available with a better track record

Tue May 31, 2011 11:26 pm

He also bought the bargain of the season odemwingie for 2 million he has an eye for talent

Tue May 31, 2011 11:58 pm

He has an eye for talent as someone says, but mist important for me is that he plays good football- something I'm dying to see down the city.

Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:01 am

I just think he talks a lot of sense and seems very intelligent whilst being passionate but level headed. Considering the bad managers out there I think he's a decent shout. Yes, he's not got a stunning track record but he did well at MK Dons and West Brom. Say what you want about the players at his disposal but he did a great job at both. :ayatollah:

Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:08 am

young so therefore more likely to learn from his mistakes rather than being a stubborn old git.

can spot talent.

his sides play good football

tells it as it is and speaks the truth to the press.

good name to sing songs too.

lady gaga - Alejandro tune

Oh what a pass, oh what a touch
Oh what a goal, thanks very much,
Oh whats his name? our managers name...
Robertooooooo
:ayatollah:

obviously I should replace Ali to get da atmosphere pumping again with lyrical skills like that :lol:

Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:11 am

You cam say he had good squads so not that good of an achievement but he still achieved promotion (or near with MK Dons). Jonesy had the best squad in the division, but he didn't deliver. Shows it's not just down to the players, and that Di Matteo's success was a lot more than just having good squads.

Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:18 am

Gump wrote:You cam say he had good squads so not that good of an achievement but he still achieved promotion (or near with MK Dons). Jonesy had the best squad in the division, but he didn't deliver. Shows it's not just down to the players, and that Di Matteo's success was a lot more than just having good squads.

True, but when he was up against better squads in the Premiership he failed and got sacked. Surely that should tell us all something?

Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:58 am

Tonteg Bluebird wrote:
Gump wrote:You cam say he had good squads so not that good of an achievement but he still achieved promotion (or near with MK Dons). Jonesy had the best squad in the division, but he didn't deliver. Shows it's not just down to the players, and that Di Matteo's success was a lot more than just having good squads.

True, but when he was up against better squads in the Premiership he failed and got sacked. Surely that should tell us all something?

Mid table when fired.

Quite a failure there.

Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:18 am

He has slightly more managerial experience than Chris Hughton (although Hughton has more coaching experience, which isn't necessarily the same) and, in my opinion, did a better job than him. I'm not saying Hughton did a bad job, far from it, but Di Matteo came into an unfamiliar club in West Brom and got them up just behind Newcastle whereas Hughton had years at Newcastle and knew the club and players inside out. Both were in similar positions when they got sacked but Di Matteo got sacked due to a run of poor results when other managers had worse runs of results yet still kept their jobs

Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:25 am

Martin O Neil 4 me please