Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

What was so special about the eddie may Era & also burrows ?

Tue May 31, 2011 11:47 pm

Even though we'v come so far - two wembley finals we are one of the biggest sides outside the prem, promotion through lawrence the jones era..., all still a shadow to past times where the real fans come from. What is it about the eddie may era that so many of us have a soft spot for.. including myself and also even burrows time spent.

even though we were shite, I loved being in division 2 & 3 watching us play win or lose, and cherising the moments when we won going to barnet, macclesfield, rochdale, plymouth, oxford, after every game listening to the ever so distant scores of the premier league being miles away in footballing standards and having an unlikely chance of ever meeting them as we had to first reach the 3rd round firstly then often beat a better side!

cardiff was cardiff we had many welsh players , who worked hard , no big spending and budgits, just nitty gritty up and down the lower leagues.
We'v seen great players, but I still hold closest to my hear the ones of darker days -
Phil Stant, carl dale , nathan blake, lee badley, richardson :

the days of ninian park before we could dream of getting to where we are now with all the ungrateful fans , bemoaning a club on the 'brink of promotion' 3 seasons long if you include finishing 7th on goal difference

Re: What was so special about the eddie may Era & also burrows

Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:04 am

I think you look back fondly because you don't have to live it day in day out, you can sit here in the Championship and drift back to the glory days when you want. I remember it differently and remember thinking 'God, we're shit, I really wish we could be higher up'.

I'm happy where we are now. I would hate to see us go back down and go back to those good old days of being f*cking diabolical. :ayatollah:

Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:34 am

Those days we just about raised a team so the expectations were alot lower. We all knew that as soon as a Nathan Blake came along he would be sold. Sure enough his likes came along many times and were sold> So it was were back to the nitty gritty that we knew as our comfort zone.

During those days I always believed we would make it to the top. After missing out in 1972 I have always felt it was our destination and still do but for the time I was quite happy to trod along until someone came along and took us seriously. I use to joke with my mates that Tom Jones was our Messiah, he just did not know it at the time. :lol:

As we know someone did come along and took us seriously. Under Sam we climbed the tables and we all started to believe again. Our attitudes changed. Then along came Ridsdale who basically stopped the progression. Our attitudes changed again from positiveness to doubt. This doubt has now turned to dejection through the bad management of Dave Jones and his massive failure ot get us to the premier with what had been our greatest squad ever. It is when we go through aperiod like this we think back to those days.

Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:46 am

It's nostalgia for our lost youth :old:

Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:43 pm

The football was not great but always felt the boys gave 100% and it felt good to support them Now the football is a lot better and the club are bigger but I aim not so fond of the players we have had recently because apart from a few I never felt many had the club at heart

Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:52 pm

We were a family. :ayatollah:

Re: What was so special about the eddie may Era & also burrows ?

Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:56 pm

Their was a closeness and Bonding between the Fans and the Club/Players and specially the Management.
The fans were more together.

I LOVED EVERY MINUTE OF THOSE DAYS :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:00 pm

they played as a team not indaviduals and the likes of ramsey, perry.blake,stant,the keeper ward,gave it everthing :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:03 pm

No PLazzies (Plastics)!!!! :old:

Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:05 pm

Brilliant era, and some fantastic away trips to boot :ayatollah: :old: :ayatollah:

Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:38 pm

ccfc_cotta wrote:Even though we'v come so far - two wembley finals we are one of the biggest sides outside the prem, promotion through lawrence the jones era..., all still a shadow to past times where the real fans come from. What is it about the eddie may era that so many of us have a soft spot for.. including myself and also even burrows time spent.

even though we were shite, I loved being in division 2 & 3 watching us play win or lose, and cherising the moments when we won going to barnet, macclesfield, rochdale, plymouth, oxford, after every game listening to the ever so distant scores of the premier league being miles away in footballing standards and having an unlikely chance of ever meeting them as we had to first reach the 3rd round firstly then often beat a better side!

cardiff was cardiff we had many welsh players , who worked hard , no big spending and budgits, just nitty gritty up and down the lower leagues.
We'v seen great players, but I still hold closest to my hear the ones of darker days -
Phil Stant, carl dale , nathan blake, lee badley, richardson :

the days of ninian park before we could dream of getting to where we are now with all the ungrateful fans , bemoaning a club on the 'brink of promotion' 3 seasons long if you include finishing 7th on goal difference

We never won at Barnet :( , I saw us lose/draw there four times and of course take hammerings off the likes of Maidstone Utd home and away).

Losing hurt a lot more then as far as I was concerned and could affect my whole mood for the week but that was because I loved the club back then to a level that I find difficult to comprehend now. Perhaps it's because I now have my own little family and have lost my mother since those times. Some things are more important whereas back then nothing compared to the City in my eyes.

I'll support them forever but something has gone and I can't put my finger on it. :ayatollah:

Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:46 pm

Halifax93 wrote:It's nostalgia for our lost youth :old:

exactly,same as genres of music,1st dances with certain girls etc...blokes in their 20's will look back on ccfc teams as great, me, as someone in my late 40's will think were shit..people in their 50's/60's and older will think that my favourite era for watching the Bluebirds--late 70's/early 80's was garbage,but they were the happiest days for me,it's all about what was going on in your teenage years...

Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:51 pm

We were rubbish, we had no money, we had no expectations and those who went wanted to be there. Most of our players were from the youth set up or were has beens with something to prove. And we were a massive club compared to most in those leagues. It was fun.
It was almost like an apprenticeship. This is like something from Footballers Wives these days. Its not real.

Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:02 pm

Forever Blue wrote:Their was a closeness and Bonding between the Fans and the Club/Players and specially the Management.
The fans were more together.

I LOVED EVERY MINUTE OF THOSE DAYS :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

agree totally....... that day in Scunthorpe will never be forgotton :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:08 pm

For me it was the fact that i was 10 when we won the league and it was only about football.

Win lose or draw, i didnt give a shit about all the politics and rumours that now surround OUR club. We we're Shit but we knew it. we had funny chants and players who loved playing football.

When you think of the shape and size on some of them its suprising they could run let alone play football.

Also back then the Echo seemed pretty good. sponsoring us, Junior bluebirds, cheap tickets.....

Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:24 pm

gagsy_mc wrote:Win lose or draw, i didnt give a shit about all the politics and rumours that now surround OUR club. We we're Shit but we knew it. we had funny chants and players who loved playing football.

Also back then the Echo seemed pretty good. sponsoring us, Junior bluebirds, cheap tickets.....

quite a few people have said to me that message boards are the worst thing that's happened,don't you think it was better when all the fans knew was what we heard on the tv/radio and read about in the papers,the 'inner circle' was the start of the decline,Sam said this,Peter said that...we shouldn't know about who we're trying to sign,until the deal is done,or what player is shagging someone else's missus,who cares...what was said in boardroom meetings,should stay there,it's nothing to do with us,just get out on the pitch and give it your best shot,and we WILL support you evermore...

Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:27 pm

i could walk through 500 or so fans away at northampton and know 95% by name or by sight..
the players were closer to us fans and eddie may was a manager who i though actually give a f**k about the club and fans.
we could run on to the pitch to celebrate a city goal and we could sing anything without having boring fans who must have never swore or done wrong in their lives tutting..

Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:38 pm

jinks-rct wrote:i could walk through 500 or so fans away at northampton and know 95% by name or by sight..
the players were closer to us fans and eddie may was a manager who i though actually give a f**k about the club and fans.
we could run on to the pitch to celebrate a city goal and we could sing anything without having boring fans who must have never swore or done wrong in their lives tutting..

I LOVED IT, BEST FANS IN THE WORLD :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:43 pm

tremendous days watching a team that understood what the club meant to the fans, never gave less than 100 percent there was a togetherness on all fronts

No better sight than seeing the terrace go mental when the city scored, our chants were witty original we would go away and litterally take the piss. I loved those days the sight of 5000 at Hereford & Wrexham will never be forgotten

Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:25 pm

Lots of good things in those days, the sight of Ashurt in flares and sunglasses priceless, Eddie may Barmy army became a sort of cult if you like, Thousands joined in bouncing the ayotollah from every step of the Bob Bank down to the front in the early 90's and then thousands all in the middle by the gantry in unison singing 90 MINUTES NON STOP. We had players who would run through brick walls for us, you could turn up at away games and pay on the day. We had trips into Europe , we had Rave tapes made with Eddie May which we all played oN CASSETTE players across the country. If we didnt like the manager we didnt p*** about we stormed the pitch we staged demos and held sit in's, sometime with Clemo things got out of hand mind !!! ahem !!! There was great music scene and the Rave days had just encaptured a generation which went hand in hand for many of us. Fully agree great days, great memories and friends made whom I have forged friendships for life with.

Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:29 pm

I loved that era full of relegations and even better promotions and mad Cardiff fans. Away trips were awesome. :ayatollah: