Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Steve Maclaren

Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:41 pm

Another name being thrown in to the list of candidates recently is Steve Maclaren.....

What are your thoughts about him ,

A decent record with Fc Twente,

13 games undefeated with England out of 18 games....

Im not sure if he is currently with a club , I know he was at Wolfsburg .

Any comments?

Re: Steve Maclaren

Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:43 pm

gash

Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:47 pm

Could do a lot worse. He has the experience at all levels including overseas.

Would probably have a lot of contacts and carry the respect of the players. :D

Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:51 pm

Sacked by Wolfsburg,did well in Holland...Not sure,there are better managers out ther eg MO'N.

If Maclaren came we would go from "hands in pockets" to what did the English press call him.."the wally with the brolly" :roll:

Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:52 pm

Love to see maclaran here,he's a proven premiership manager,did great job at boro,and in Holland,fergie had him as his assistant,remember him saying he wad a great tactician,just what we need.

Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:58 pm

martin o neill seems to be peoples choice , but can we afford him .......

His 4 yr contract with AVilla was almost £12mil , thats £3 mil a year with a £1 mil bonus if they reached the champs league...

I cant help but think theres no way he would come to us for even £1mil a yr..... It would take a huge package to get him here and would need a hefty bonus if we managed promotion....

Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:19 pm

bridgendbluebird30 wrote:Could do a lot worse. He has the experience at all levels including overseas.

Would probably have a lot of contacts and carry the respect of the players. :D

I'm thinking along these lines.
Contacts in holland and Germany now could be massively important in bringing in "unknow" stars.

Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:20 pm

thats all very well, but could you handle a dutch, german, kaaarrdddiifffff accent?

Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:23 pm

make a change from a scotish kaaardifff accent

Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:24 pm

he's second fav with some bookies coming in at 6's maybe some truth in it, but he did say he wasn't interested in west ham, so really think thats a non starter :D

Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:31 pm

big difference with West Ham is that they have just been relegated and will have to sell lots of star players ie parker etc.. to cut their wage bill, difficult to be attracted to that.. with us they can basically start from scratch bring in new faces etc...

Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:54 pm

Blackwood_Bluebird wrote:martin o neill seems to be peoples choice , but can we afford him .......

His 4 yr contract with AVilla was almost £12mil , thats £3 mil a year with a £1 mil bonus if they reached the champs league...

I cant help but think theres no way he would come to us for even £1mil a yr..... It would take a huge package to get him here and would need a hefty bonus if we managed promotion....

Give him £1M For a season,which is just £200,000 more than what DJ was on.
The MALAYSIANS were happy to give DJ another £1M If we went up,so same sort of deal could be done.

After all the Malaysian have said they are going to put the money in....Why not start at the top :?:

Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:15 pm

thing is tho they also still have to pay DJ this season

Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:20 pm

2blue2handle wrote:thing is tho they also still have to pay DJ this season

Very true mate :ayatollah: But if the MALAYSIANS Are on about putting the money in,then they have to aim high with a Manager with a good track record :ayatollah:

Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:24 pm

He has a decent record, but i remember the Boro chairmen saying "If Steve said its raining, you have to go out and check it is raining"

Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:32 pm

TopCat CCFC wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:thing is tho they also still have to pay DJ this season

Very true mate :ayatollah: But if the MALAYSIANS Are on about putting the money in,then they have to aim high with a Manager with a good track record :ayatollah:

totally agree, I think he is out of our league but then I thought Bellamy was, stranger things have happened :ayatollah: