Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Whats happened has happened - what next?

Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:39 pm

Im usually a reader rather than a poster but sometimes you just have to say what’s on your mind.

For those of us outside the caravan park looking in, it’s been almost inevitable that the Jacks would go up. I didn't want them to win. That’s not because Im small minded or being clichéd. It’s just the way I felt. But in line with most I have spoken to, I do have a (grudging) respect for their style of football and the approach of their manager who in stark contrast to DJ appears to care passionately. He clearly had a plan that he communicated to everyone and ensured everyone at the club bought into it.

Personally I dont have much sympathy for the "Jacks promotion is good for Welsh football" argument. It’s fantastic for Jacks and good for neutral Welsh footy fans. But with so few Welsh players in their squad, and the new riches meaning a likelihood of buying in foreign talent, I dont necessarily see why its good for Welsh football unless Im missing something.

I agree with the DJ sacking tho not that he's done a bad job. Firstly he's taken us as far as he can. We may well look back at the DJ years as good ones but the bottom line is that he’s been at the helm for a long time and given a budget the envy of most - and we are still not in the top league. If the ambition was to be a solid, never to be relegated championship outfit that's fair enough - but surely that was never the aim.

Secondly - he alienated everyone around him. A siege mentality is one thing but he seems to breed contempt from everyone not in his clique - and that goes for players, fans and press. Why is Adam Mathews on his way to Celtic only months after being heralded as the best young full back around? Why was Gerard shipped to Hull cos of a stupid falling out only to be voted their player of the year. Why (Bellamy & McNaughton apart) is there so little rapport between players and fans? Why was the falling out with the media allowed to drag on?

Finally - the Boro game fiasco and the events before, during and after. If he ain't got the respect of the dressing room its time to go.

My worry is where this leaves us. Take out last seasons loans, those whose contracts are up, very few kids coming thru the academy and those who want to go and you are left with a complete restructuring job. Too much for a rookie manager IMO. We need an external appointment – someone who has been about, got the contacts, takes no shite off the Malaysians etc. I dont see Bellamy as being right for the job at the mo – I cant offer name as I cant think of one other than perhaps O’Neill but we’re too small for him at the mo surely. The advantage of an external apointiment is that the new man will demand a budget - something that may be denied to an internal appointment. Even with our troubles, with our track record and facilities we must still be a decent opportunity for a biggish name. The recent statements from the club at least are cause for optimism

Looks like a summer of worrying over debts, who will be our manager and will we have a decent squad next year whereas our western cousins will be selling pegs to finance trips to Stamford Bridge and Old Trafford.

Good luck to them. Lets be honest they deserve it. They finished 3rd FFS so on that basis alone they are the rightful winners of the third spot. The only consolation I can find is that at least they beat Reading in front of a watching world – to have beaten us at Wembley really would have been unbearable.

Adios Jacks - congratulations and see you soon. One way or another….