Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Chris Hughton now 5/6 on Skybet...

Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:55 pm

If we do go for him, what's everyones opinions? He did a good job at Newcastle, but as I said with my post about Di Matteo last night, Hughton already had the squad to work with. Tactically, he set his team up well and Newcastle walked the Championship and were mid table in the Premiership before Hughton got ridiculously sacked.

But Hughton spent years at Newcastle, the players and all the staff knew what he was all about and Hughton knew the club inside out. The big question is, could Chris Hughton do it at another club where he doesn't know the surroundings? Would Chris Hughton be able to assemble his own team to mount a promotion challenge? Will Chris Hughton be able to deal with a squad of new players who he hasn't dealt with before and get the players to play for him? Personally, I think it would be a gamble going for him and I would rather us go for someone with a proven track record of success.

Re: Chris Hughton now 5/6 on Skybet...

Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:56 pm

Don't rate him & don't want him

O neil 4 me

Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:57 pm

Tonteg Bluebird wrote:If we do go for him, what's everyones opinions? He did a good job at Newcastle, but as I said with my post about Di Matteo last night, Hughton already had the squad to work with. Tactically, he set his team up well and Newcastle walked the Championship and were mid table in the Premiership before Hughton got ridiculously sacked.

But Hughton spent years at Newcastle, the players and all the staff knew what he was all about and Hughton knew the club inside out. The big question is, could Chris Hughton do it at another club where he doesn't know the surroundings? Would Chris Hughton be able to assemble his own team to mount a promotion challenge? Will Chris Hughton be able to deal with a squad of new players who he hasn't dealt with before and get the players to play for him? Personally, I think it would be a gamble going for him and I would rather us go for someone with a proven track record of success.

Agree with all of your post Tonteg :ayatollah:

Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:57 pm

Agree, he had a superb squad at Newcastle last season (09/10) that was still arguably good enough for the Premier League, as they went on to prove during the season gone by - as you say they were comfortably mid-table when he was sacked !

Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:58 pm

Tonteg Bluebird wrote:If we do go for him, what's everyones opinions? He did a good job at Newcastle, but as I said with my post about Di Matteo last night, Hughton already had the squad to work with. Tactically, he set his team up well and Newcastle walked the Championship and were mid table in the Premiership before Hughton got ridiculously sacked.

Listen we all wanted Jones out and all had our opinions about whom should replace him, I personally would like a young manager to come in, I think he would be enthusiastic and bring a bit of passion. Let's be honest he did have a good squad at Newcastle, but so did jones last season. I personally think we should embrace the new manager and not be on his case from day one.

Chris Hughton's barmy army !!! :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:59 pm

he looks bad-ass - that's enough for me :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :lol:

Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:01 pm

I'd be happy, lets be honest we all would love O Neill but thats just a dream, no way would he come here, even though with my tinted specs on i can make good reasons for him to, i just dont think he needs to prove anything as people already know he is a top manager. Hughton is hungry and probably wants to stick one right up the geordies ring piece.....no better motivation than revenge!!! bring him in, give him some money and lets rock and roll :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:01 pm

Not my 1st choice but would be well happy, the pick of the younger managers

Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:03 pm

caerdydd_78 wrote:

Listen we all wanted Jones out and all had our opinions about whom should replace him, I personally would like a young manager to come in, I think he would be enthusiastic and bring a bit of passion. Let's be honest he did have a good squad at Newcastle, but so did jones last season. I personally think we should embrace the new manager and not be on his case from day one.

Caerdydd, if we do appoint Chris Hughton, I will give him my 100% support. As I said, he did a good job with Newcastle but I think there's a lot of question marks if he can be as successful at another club, simply because he has never managed at another club. But if we do appoint Chris Hughton, he will get my full backing. :ayatollah:

Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:04 pm

id prefer di matteo but..i think chris may do a good job down here :ayatollah:

Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:05 pm

I'll be chuffed because I got 9/1 on skybet! :lol:

Get in :ayatollah:

Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:06 pm

Tonteg Bluebird wrote:
caerdydd_78 wrote:

Caerdydd, if we do appoint Chris Hughton, I will give him my 100% support. As I said, he did a good job with Newcastle but I think there's a lot of question marks if he can be as successful at another club, simply because he has never managed at another club. But if we do appoint Chris Hughton, he will get my full backing. :ayatollah:

He was assistant at Tottenham for about 10 years where he worked under some top managers also RoI assistant for 5 years

Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:07 pm

OhhhGa wrote:I'll be chuffed because I got 9/1 on skybet! :lol:

Get in :ayatollah:

You can still get 7-1 with Billy hills ;) and VC.

Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:11 pm

Chris Hughton's barmy army !!! :ayatollah: :ayatollah:[/quote]

Caerdydd, if we do appoint Chris Hughton, I will give him my 100% support. As I said, he did a good job with Newcastle but I think there's a lot of question marks if he can be as successful at another club, simply because he has never managed at another club. But if we do appoint Chris Hughton, he will get my full backing. :ayatollah:[/quote]

Tonteg I know what you mean, to be honest since Monday I've been almost heartbroken to see the jacks go up. not because I'm a bluebird, but I would love to see the city in the PL during my lifetime, I'm 32 and been down the city since early 80's, I would love to feel and live the joy that I guess they have felt since then.

But...the clouds shifted, the news of Jones going, the news yesterday of our new found brothers from Malaysia coming to agreements to almost clear the debt, I don't know the ins and out about there debt or our debt, just the fact that so much good news has lifted my spirits, am I a season ticket holder, yes for the best part of 12 years. We need to get the good old barmy army back, like the eddie may days, the fans and everyone around the club had respect and love for eddie, with Iones he simply didn't have that, I hope Hughton has the same passion, with the backing of VT and TG we could be huge, and I really think they know this.

Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:16 pm

caerdydd_78 wrote:Listen we all wanted Jones out and all had our opinions about whom should replace him, I personally would like a young manager to come in, I think he would be enthusiastic and bring a bit of passion. Let's be honest he did have a good squad at Newcastle, but so did jones last season. I personally think we should embrace the new manager and not be on his case from day one.

Caerdydd, if we do appoint Chris Hughton, I will give him my 100% support. As I said, he did a good job with Newcastle but I think there's a lot of question marks if he can be as successful at another club, simply because he has never managed at another club. But if we do appoint Chris Hughton, he will get my full backing. :ayatollah:[/quote]

Tonteg I know what you mean, to be honest since Monday I've been almost heartbroken to see the jacks go up. not because I'm a bluebird, but I would love to see the city in the PL during my lifetime, I'm 32 and been down the city since early 80's, I would love to feel and live the joy that I guess they have felt since then.

But...the clouds shifted, the news of Jones going, the news yesterday of our new found brothers from Malaysia coming to agreements to almost clear the debt, I don't know the ins and out about there debt or our debt, just the fact that so much good news has lifted my spirits, am I a season ticket holder, yes for the best part of 12 years. We need to get the good old barmy army back, like the eddie may days, the fans and everyone around the club had respect and love for eddie, with Iones he simply didn't have that, I hope Hughton has the same passion, with the backing of VT and TG we could be huge, and I really think they know this.[/quote]

I fully agree Caerdydd, I still look back fondly at the Eddie May days, will never forget the time we had a shocking first half and even after laying into the players during his half time team talk, he was still ranting and raving at the players, literally chasing them down the tunnel onto the pitch before the second half. "Eddie, sort them out!" :lol:

As you say, we need a manager with passion who the fans can rally around. A manager who will eat, breathe and live for Cardiff City FC. :ayatollah:

Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:05 pm

Thinking ahead to Newcastle spending their 35 million from Andy Carroll tis summer to bring in some new strikers, if we get Hughton, I like the prospect of him going for some of his former players. The thought of having a Leon Best up front for us excites me, plus what about him resigning Routledge, amongst others who Hughton knows he can rely on and get us out of this division?

Obviously, let's see if he joins first, but if we do get him and he goes for some of his former Championship winning players, it will only improve our squad in my opinion.

Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:46 am

Tonteg Bluebird wrote:Thinking ahead to Newcastle spending their 35 million from Andy Carroll tis summer to bring in some new strikers, if we get Hughton, I like the prospect of him going for some of his former players. The thought of having a Leon Best up front for us excites me, plus what about him resigning Routledge, amongst others who Hughton knows he can rely on and get us out of this division?

Obviously, let's see if he joins first, but if we do get him and he goes for some of his former Championship winning players, it will only improve our squad in my opinion.

Alan Smith :oops: :oops: :oops: