Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Players who you thought would go on to a higher level...

Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:49 pm

But never did. I'm talking about the old Division 4 days when we thought we had a gem who would get snapped up by a bigger club, but never went on to fulfill his potential. At the time, I thought these players would go on to better things:

Lee Jarman - looked a different class at his best and his distribution was exceptional for a centre back, but then lost his head, got dropped from the squad and disappeared into oblivion.

Nathan Wigg - Looked a superb midfielder with an engine and had loads of clubs in higher divisions looking at him. A couple of seasons later his form dipped and I think he ended up going to a Conference team on a free!

Josh Low - The season we won promotion from the old Division 4 under Alan Cork, Josh Low tore every full back apart with his frightening pace. Defenders couldn't live with him but he was a confidence player. When we stepped up to the higher division, his confidence dipped, and so did his form.

Matt Brazier - When we took him on loan, he looked a different class, the ball was like a magnet to his foot and he simply looked way too good to be a Division 4 player. Then we signed him permanent for over 100k (I was delighted at the time thinking we had a bargain) and his form started dipping and the class he seemed to have evaporated.

Andy Campbell - Still one of the best loan signings we have ever made. Unfortunately, after scoring 4 goals away to Oldham and keeping Earnie out of the team, his form dipped when he joined us permanently. Will always remember THAT goal mind.

What players did you think stood out for us and had the potential to go on to a much higher level but never did?

Re: Players who you thought would go on to a higher level...

Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:52 pm

Lee Jarman.

Tarki Micallef.

Jason Fowler.

Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:55 pm

Forever Blue wrote:Lee Jarman.

Tarki Micallef.

Jason Fowler.

Can't believe I missed out Jason Fowler! He had so much ability, his chip at home to Brentford will always live in my memory. If he had the hunger, attitude and fitness, he could have gone on to great things.

Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:07 pm

Tarki Micallef.

Jason Fowler.

Wasn`t Jarman another case of being too keen on the alcohol rather than developing the most out of his undoubted talent.

This club of ours seems to have more than its fair share of such players , including the likes of Chopra and Dai Thomas (though the latter had far less natural talent than the other two).

Keith

Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:11 pm

since62 wrote:

Tarki Micallef.

Jason Fowler.

Wasn`t Jarman another case of being too keen on the alcohol rather than developing the most out of his undoubted talent.

This club of ours seems to have more than its fair share of such players , including the likes of Chopra and Dai Thomas (though the latter had far less natural talent than the other two).

Keith

He had great talent, saw him today and had a good chat with him, I use to Sponsor him.
Sadly Yes drink ruined him.

Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:11 pm

Tonteg Bluebird wrote:

Tarki Micallef.

Jason Fowler.

Can't believe I missed out Jason Fowler! He had so much ability, his chip at home to Brentford will always live in my memory. If he had the hunger, attitude and fitness, he could have gone on to great things.

Def, Cant understand how he failed.

Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:25 pm

I could also include Leon Jeanne, he is still the most naturally gifted player I have ever seen. I believe he had 10 times the skill of the likes of Taarabt. What a shame he threw his career away, I wish him all the best at Brighton this summer and hope he can make the most of this opportunity.

Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:41 pm

Tonteg Bluebird wrote:I could also include Leon Jeanne, he is still the most naturally gifted player I have ever seen. I believe he had 10 times the skill of the likes of Taarabt. What a shame he threw his career away, I wish him all the best at Brighton this summer and hope he can make the most of this opportunity.

The next George Best, he was that good. But ruined himself.

Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:44 pm

Danny Hill - Looked a world beater when on loan.

Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:09 pm

Willie Anderson he would hug the touchline on receiving the ball would turn the fullback inside out, brill player

Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:17 pm

Leo Fortune West :D