Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Name me one better, realistic altenative to Bothroyd..?

Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:48 pm

... who we could get for no more than the 14k wages he asked for

Parkin? - Big NO from what i've seen

Nugent? - Definitely not as good as Bothroyd in my opinion and surely not the type we need to play alongside Bellamy if he comes back

Earnshaw? - Same in that it would never work playing him alongside Bellamy, or even Chopra, his finishing is still quality but lost more than a yard of pace

Benjani? Helguson? Eddie Johnson ??? - There is noone as good as Bothroyd in my opinion that would we could realistically get...

Even the players not on a free, would cost WAY more than we could afford to pay to even get someone anywhere near good enough...

Premier League clubs were/are "looking at Bothroyd" for a reason you know guys...

So my point is, how about instead of replacing him, we look to get him back and maybe the NEW MANAGER CAN GET HIM PLAYING LIKE WE ALL KNOW HE CAN for a whole season, because if he could, i'm telling you now, there is no better alternative out there...

But i'm open to suggestions of who is??? :ayatollah:

Re: Name me one better, realistic altenative to Bothroyd...

Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:49 pm

Bambi?

Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:51 pm

scott_w_ccfc wrote:... who we could get for no more than the 14k wages he asked for

Nugent? - Definitely not as good as Bothroyd in my opinion and surely not the type we need to play alongside Bellamy if he comes back

Earnshaw? - Same in that it would never work playing him alongside Bellamy, or even Chopra, his finishing is still quality but lost more than a yard of pace

Benjani? Helguson? Eddie Johnson ??? - There is noone as good as Bothroyd in my opinion that would we could realistically get...

Even the players not on a free, would cost WAY more than we could afford to pay to even get someone anywhere near good enough...

Premier League clubs were/are "looking at Bothroyd" for a reason you know guys...

So my point is, how about instead of replacing him, we look to get him back and maybe the NEW MANAGER CAN GET HIM PLAYING LIKE WE ALL KNOW HE CAN for a whole season, because if he could, i'm telling you now, there is no better alternative out there...

DJ Campbell

Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:51 pm

scott_w_ccfc wrote:So my point is, how about instead of replacing him, we look to get him back and maybe the NEW MANAGER CAN GET HIM PLAYING LIKE WE ALL KNOW HE CAN for a whole season, because if he could, i'm telling you now, there is no better alternative out there..... :ayatollah:

Agreed :ayatollah:

Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:52 pm

Simon Cox (West Brom , on a free)

Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:53 pm

Johnny Rythmn wrote:
scott_w_ccfc wrote:... who we could get for no more than the 14k wages he asked for

DJ Campbell

DJ Campbell is on his way to Sunderland and will be on way over the £14K Jay is asking for. In any event he is not a target man, nor is he as good as Bothroyd.

Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:53 pm

piledriver64 wrote:
Johnny Rythmn wrote:

DJ Campbell

DJ Campbell is on his way to Sunderland and will be on way over the £14K Jay is asking for. In any event he is not a target man, nor is he as good as Bothroyd.

He's proven, Bothroyd isn't

Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:54 pm

benjani is way better than bothroyd....

Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:55 pm

ON A FREE...Cox : Tyson : Earnie...Give me another 15 mins will find some more ;)

Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:57 pm

i quite like emnes of boro,

pretty good at this level, always seemed to be a handful against us and unsure whether to commit to boro or not...

Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:57 pm

On his performances before xmas no one, on his performances after xmas....... how about zippy the chimp????

Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:58 pm

John Carew? free transfer aswell :ayatollah:

Diomansy Kamara??

but maybe he his on higher wages than £14,000?

John Carew? free transfer aswell :ayatollah:

Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:05 pm

bluebird7291 wrote:John Carew? free transfer aswell :ayatollah:

That's more like the quality we shoild be looking for but I think you'll find he's on £25k+ a week.

Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:07 pm

Jason Scotland

Kris Boyd

Rob Barrett

:ayatollah:

Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:08 pm

Charlie Austin

Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:09 pm

Bothroyd is a rubbish player. I dont care what anyone says, he is.

He is one of the main reasons why Jones' record at coming from behind is so pathetic. Its players like him that cause it and its managers like Jones that let it happen by keep playing him.

If we score 1st, he thrives of it. Just as he did at Elland Rd. He was immense. We scored and it completely changed the teams attitude. We went on to win 4-0.

If we concede, his head goes instantly. He starts going down quicker than Imogen Thomas on Ryan Giggs and sapping about not putting in any effort. He doesn't try at all and if anything harms the team by wasting time.

Also, to the people saying we need a target man, since when? Who was Swansea's targetman this year? enlighten me please.

Jones is gone. The new manager could play a 4-3-3 with Bellamy left wing, Chops/Earnie in the middle and someone like Tyson down the right wing.

We could even go 4-2-3-1 or 4-5-1. Jones loved his 4-4-2. Why? because it meant he could play the boring old long ball game if things got bad. He had no Plan B. His only answer to things when going bad was hoof ball. This is where Jay comes in and a sub like Parkin comes into the fold. They were perfect for that hoof ball mentality.

Di Matteo might walk into the job, get us playing football, an we dont need a targetman then. We need players who can move, link up well, and create goals.

Also, to the person saying Bothroyd is better than Campbell, answer this. Why is Bothroyd now struggling to find a club when Campbell has been playing in the prem and scoring goals and been a real threat in a Blackpool side who massively overachieved at the start of the campaign? Many people put bets on at the start of the season on Blackpool getting less than 15 points. DJ Campbell has scored 13 goals this season for a relegated side. That is great.

Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:28 pm

Jeremy Alidadiere
Giles Barnes
John Carew
Pablo Counago
Daniel De Ridder
Nathan Ellington
Craig Fagan
Rory Fallon
Richard Garcia
Eidur Gudjohnsun
Marlon Harewood
Eddie Johnson
Diomansy Kamara
Chris Porter

All available of freebies. :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:33 pm

Leon Best, Newcastle

Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:12 pm

Ricardo Fuller? :ayatollah:

Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:13 pm

Nobody has mentioned Marlon King :o Strong as an ox so doesn't fall on his cauliflower ass all the time.
I know off the pitch he has been an ass but i think he would do well down here :ayatollah:

Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:18 pm

pontlliwblue wrote:Simon Cox (West Brom , on a free

Agree with this, Simon Cox has the potential to be a very good player, but at West Brom he wasn't really given a proper chance. Has the ability to be a top goal scorer at this level and beyond, and is a future England international.

Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:22 pm

Jordan Rhodes from Huddersfield?

Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:25 pm

Marlon King?

Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:09 pm

The only reason he has come crawling back is because no one else wants him. Scout around that is what i say let the scouts do there work. If he comes back i wont be happy but a new season i will be supportive. But if he returns to the same old Bothroyd then f**k him.

Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:39 pm

Fish wrote:
pontlliwblue wrote:Simon Cox (West Brom , on a free

Agree with this, Simon Cox has the potential to be a very good player, but at West Brom he wasn't really given a proper chance. Has the ability to be a top goal scorer at this level and beyond, and is a future England international.

Not anymore :D He's a fellow country man of mine now (POTATOESSS)

Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:42 pm

Pay As You Play basis is the only basis I'd have Bothroyd back on.

If he plays well pay him.

If not, pay him for the game he was abysmal in and tell him to get lost. Simple solution.

I'd definitely have Marlon King here. So what if hes done wrong things off the pitch. So has Craig who'll admit it himself. Hell, even goody two shoes has been dipping Imogen and cheating on his wife for all this time.

Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:56 pm

Chopra out? Tyson and Earnie in?

Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:01 pm

jamesbarnett91 wrote:Pay As You Play basis is the only basis I'd have Bothroyd back on.

If he plays well pay him.

If not, pay him for the game he was abysmal in and tell him to get lost. Simple solution.

I'd definitely have Marlon King here. So what if hes done wrong things off the pitch. So has Craig who'll admit it himself. Hell, even goody two shoes has been dipping Imogen and cheating on his wife for all this time.

What you said earlier about not necessarily requiring a target man is spot on