Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: Name me one better, realistic altenative to Bothroyd...

Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:02 pm

After the England call up his body language said it all, he was'nt interested in us & could'nt be arsed, we all thought he would be snapped up by a Premier team at the end of the season but as that has'nt materialised it looks like he might want to come back to us.If the team next season remains with the likes of Bothroyd & Chops & their can't be arsed attitude, here's another one who can't be arsed in watching them.

Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:17 pm

Of the above mentioned...

Players I would like...

Diomansy Kamara (100% yes, i think he's an outstanding player but im 90% sure he is going to be signing permanently for Leicester, but if you dont ask, you dont get)

Simon Cox (Would personally prefer him to Chopra/Earnshaw but i definitely think he needs a target man next to him - like Bothroyd)

Ricardo Fuller (Another quality player who I'd love to see at City but i just don't see it happening, plus he's VERY injury prone)

Nathan Tyson (Would work brilliantly on the right in a 4-3-3 with Bothroyd and Bellamy in my opinion, as would Kamara)

Kris Boyd (not a target man, and things didnt go well for him at Boro, but i think he's the best finisher in the division along with Earnshaw if chances are created for him)

Players I wouldn't like or unrealistic

Benjani (costly and injury prone)
Emnes (scored the winner against us for the Jacks - enough said)
John Carew (WAY too expensive)
Charlie Austin (already signed for Burnley last season i think)
Marlon King (good player, bad personality, and definitely not better than Bothroyd for me)
DJ Campbell (no chance he'd come here)
Chris Porter (turned us down for Derby before if you remember, and not that good anyway)
Leon Best (not as good as Bothroyd for me)

Aliadiere, Counago, Ellington, Fagan, Fallon, Garcia, Eddie, Harewood, Helguson - definitely not good enough in my opinion, and DEFINITELY not as good as Bothroyd, in fact most of them are awful

I do think JamesBarnett makes a good point though, in that we dont neccessarily have to play a 4-4-2 next season, in which case we wouldnt need a target man, although i do think Jay could play in all formations and suit them when at his best... and i still think his best is better than any of the above mentioned, if we can get it out of him consistently :ayatollah:

Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:32 pm

Come on guys, hardly any of the names on here are close to jay! I can see why he pissed people off , he pissed me off, but hes in a different class to nearly all of the names mentioned! With a good managerhe could be the player he was pre England - one of the top 5 players in the championship! If I told you know we could get an England international , who scored 20 goals last season on a free you'd snap my hands off

Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:33 pm

Jimbo27 wrote:Come on guys, hardly any of the names on here are close to jay! I can see why he pissed people off , he pissed me off, but hes in a different class to nearly all of the names mentioned! With a good managerhe could be the player he was pre England - one of the top 5 players in the championship! If I told you know we could get an England international , who scored 20 goals last season on a free you'd snap my hands off

100% totally agree with you there mate, well said

Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:34 pm

Agree with that post Scott (your list), except for Cox - I know it was only against Scotland, but Cox looked excellent up front with Robbie Keane for Ireland. He looked like he had been playing international football for 10 years, and the balance of him and Keane actually worked really well.

Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:37 pm

It breaks my heart to see Boothroyd leaving, what a fabulous player, by far the most talented forward in the championship last season!!! No wonder the boy looks disallusioned and downhearted at times playing with some of our lot, he`s on a different frequency.

The fans need to get real and realise that when players like Boothroyd leave theres going to be 1 big huge f*cking gap to be filled. Chopra is a waste of space, Jet did nothing, Olly crop last 2 months.

If anyone can get a better striker for £14k aweek they must be a f*cking magician.

I`d love to see him back, however i have no doubt that where ever he goes he will be a huge success and he will be earning a damn sight more than 14 k per week to

Good Luck Jay what ever happens

You are true class

THERE IS NOT A BETTER ALTERNATIVE

Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:44 pm

tylerdurdenisabluebird wrote:Agree with that post Scott (your list), except for Cox - I know it was only against Scotland, but Cox looked excellent up front with Robbie Keane for Ireland. He looked like he had been playing international football for 10 years, and the balance of him and Keane actually worked really well.

thanks mate
i didnt actually watch that game but im sure youre right, and thinking about it now youve actually got a fair point

although, its likes of Chopra/Bellamy/Earnshaw alongside Cox that would worry me cos i think they are very different to Robbie Keane, who even though he's quite short and a finisher, actually links up play pretty well too, which i think is the key with a player alongside someone of Cox' type

Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:44 pm

Pont-d-blue wrote:It breaks my heart to see Boothroyd leaving, what a fabulous player, by far the most talented forward in the championship last season!!! No wonder the boy looks disallusioned and downhearted at times playing with some of our lot, he`s on a different frequency.

The fans need to get real and realise that when players like Boothroyd leave theres going to be 1 big huge f*cking gap to be filled. Chopra is a waste of space, Jet did nothing, Olly crop last 2 months.

If anyone can get a better striker for £14k aweek they must be a f*cking magician.

I`d love to see him back, however i have no doubt that where ever he goes he will be a huge success and he will be earning a damn sight more than 14 k per week to

Good Luck Jay what ever happens

You are true class

THERE IS NOT A BETTER ALTERNATIVE

spot on buddy, i hope a lot of people read this post

Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:11 am

I think that CCFC should go for the faster , smaller 2 man front line ( Chops and Bellers ) with a ball winning skillfield centre forward playing a deeper role in midfield ( Bothroyd wud do ok but somebody like Dobbie at Swansea ) :ayatollah: :D :ayatollah:

Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:27 am

Danny Graham league top goalscorer and in the team of the year last year 49 games and 27 goals. Jay had 42 games and 20 goals. Not bad for someboby who had a shit season and couldn't get his form back after his injuries.

We will end up with the fattest front two in the league with Chops and Parkin. They looked overweight at the end of the season, want are they going to look like with a 6 week break.

Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:30 am

tylerdurdenisabluebird wrote:
Fish wrote:
pontlliwblue wrote:Simon Cox (West Brom , on a free

Agree with this, Simon Cox has the potential to be a very good player, but at West Brom he wasn't really given a proper chance. Has the ability to be a top goal scorer at this level and beyond, and is a future England international.

Not anymore :D He's a fellow country man of mine now (POTATOESSS)

Sorry, didn't realise he'd changed :oops:

Still a quality player though!

Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:49 am

scott_w_ccfc wrote:... who we could get for no more than the 14k wages he asked for

Parkin? - Big NO from what i've seen

Nugent? - Definitely not as good as Bothroyd in my opinion and surely not the type we need to play alongside Bellamy if he comes back

Earnshaw? - Same in that it would never work playing him alongside Bellamy, or even Chopra, his finishing is still quality but lost more than a yard of pace

Benjani? Helguson? Eddie Johnson ??? - There is noone as good as Bothroyd in my opinion that would we could realistically get...

Even the players not on a free, would cost WAY more than we could afford to pay to even get someone anywhere near good enough...

earnshaw and chopra up front please.. bollocks to big baby bothroyd

Premier League clubs were/are "looking at Bothroyd" for a reason you know guys...

So my point is, how about instead of replacing him, we look to get him back and maybe the NEW MANAGER CAN GET HIM PLAYING LIKE WE ALL KNOW HE CAN for a whole season, because if he could, i'm telling you now, there is no better alternative out there...

But i'm open to suggestions of who is??? :ayatollah:

Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:41 pm

Ricardo Fuller or Jason Roberts :ayatollah:

Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:47 pm

jamesbarnett91 wrote:Pay As You Play basis is the only basis I'd have Bothroyd back on.

If he plays well pay him.

If not, pay him for the game he was abysmal in and tell him to get lost. Simple solution.

I'd definitely have Marlon King here. So what if hes done wrong things off the pitch. So has Craig who'll admit it himself. Hell, even goody two shoes has been dipping Imogen and cheating on his wife for all this time.

Bellamy has being doing Imogen?

Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:37 pm

Quite a few players from outside the UK for a start. Our scouting and knowledge is somewhat one dimensional.

There is a surprising amount of football played to a high level by quiet a few "moderately" paid players outside the UK. This boy seems to know how to stay on his feet:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdPR3o1qSu0

Maybe too advanced for us now, but you never know.

Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:55 pm

david goodwillie could work.....

Re: Name me one better, realistic altenative to Bothroyd..?

Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:31 pm

It suddenly strikes me that Bothroyd would actually suit Swansea's style of play, although I'm pretty sure they won't pay him £14k a week

Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:47 pm

bluebird58 wrote:It suddenly strikes me that Bothroyd would actually suit Swansea's style of play, although I'm pretty sure they won't pay him £14k a week

No they have sense Chief

Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:53 pm

someone who is not lazy and falls over if hes touched

Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:23 pm

Nathan Tyson

Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:51 pm

kalamazoomakone wrote:someone who is not lazy and falls over if hes touched

Bambi :lol: :lol:

Sat Jun 04, 2011 5:49 am

Norwich have already signed one striker and look like they are going to get another one, so does this mean that they have doubts as to whether Grant Holt can hack it in the Premiership?

If that is the case, then I would say Holt would answer the question asked in the thread title. I don't like Holt much as a player and I don't think he has anything like the natural talent that Jay Bothroyd has, but he is at his marker all the time and I would guess he's a nightmare to play against.

Holt has just proved that he can score goals at this level and, because the game doesn't come as easy to him as it does to Bothroyd, he is prepared to work hard and keep going for the whole ninety minutes - he might not be a "better" player than Bothroyd, but he was a much more influential one for much of the season.

Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:07 am

Right this what I think about Jay Bothroyd. The first half of the season hes been phenomanol, scoring left, right and centre. I was actually nervous when the january transfer window opened cause I genuinely thought he was going to go. We could've got a decent few million if we sold him. We could've got 3 decent championship players for £1million each, which could've gained us promotion.

But since he could've signed for a prem team but chose not to he started to get a bit big headed, then he had his first engerland cap , which imo he deserved, then his head expanded like a sponge. He then thought that he was too big for this club so thought..ah f**k it, ill be in the prem next season no matter what.

This is MY OPINION, which means this is what I THINK. :ayatollah:

Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:56 am

Leroy Lita looked good against us last month ( but admittedly 1 or 2 of our defenders weren't sober at the time! ) :o

Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:55 pm

m harewood or tyson, both quality!!!

Sat Jun 04, 2011 2:03 pm

on his day, at this level, there isnt many better but we need consistency
and that means staying on their feet :lol:

no but seriously, marlon king is a very good alternative and works his socks off, seems to play better the more stick he gets.
can u imagine us with him, we are already hated by everybody (apart from chasetown) and that would put us on a par with leeds.... ok maybe not as bad as leeds but surely bad :lol:

leon best is another decent player but only really seen him in patches

nathan tyson, tall, strong, bags of pace but hasnt had a long run in the forest side for a while

on their days i would go with jay everytime but his consistency isnt their
:ayatollah:

Sat Jun 04, 2011 6:47 pm

eighty_8 wrote:on his day, at this level, there isnt many better but we need consistency
and that means staying on their feet :lol:

no but seriously, marlon king is a very good alternative and works his socks off, seems to play better the more stick he gets.
can u imagine us with him, we are already hated by everybody (apart from chasetown) and that would put us on a par with leeds.... ok maybe not as bad as leeds but surely bad :lol:

leon best is another decent player but only really seen him in patches

nathan tyson, tall, strong, bags of pace but hasnt had a long run in the forest side for a while

on their days i would go with jay everytime but his consistency isnt their
:ayatollah:

Marlon King has just agreed a new contract with Coventry pal

I think the best shout ive read on this topic by now is a few comments up, David Goodwillie, i really think he'd be worth a punt, but im not sure if either Premier League clubs or Celtic might go in for him, in which case we'd have no chance

Sat Jun 04, 2011 6:48 pm

weavers22 wrote:david goodwillie could work.....

that's a great shout actually mate