Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Potential managers

Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:58 pm

Having read what Carl has had to say tonight, I would settle for any of the managers really but one thing I have thought about is O'Neill as our manager.

I've read on numerous sites that if he gets the job he will be looking to bring in some of his former players at Villa, e.g Heskey, Carew etc. but wouldn't these type of players be worse than some of the players we already have, i.e overpaid with no real care for the club and the fans ?

Just thinking about it tonight and I don't see what all the fuss is about with O'Neill really, yes he's a quality manager but something tells me he wouldn't be right for us ?

Still wouldn't mind him as manager though :lol:

Re: Potential managers

Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:36 pm

Great Shout mate, for me I would love Clarke to come in. He has great pedigree and cares about the club he's working at, as seen when he is on the touchline with Huddersfield. Very animated to say the least!

Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:54 pm

Carew is greater than Bothroyd.

Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:59 pm

Are you seriously saying you don't want a man who has delivered trophies and promotions to his teams? Two promotions at wyconbe, promotion and carling cup at Leicester, multiple trophies and good results in the champions league at celticand took villa to their highest league position in years!!!! There is hardly a better manager in the game, plus he is passionate and committed! If all fans wouldn't be satisfied with his appimtment for us we may as well pack it in!

Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:30 pm

MON wont be coming here we aint got anywhere near the money hed wont to spend on players :ayatollah:

Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:02 pm

cardiffforlife wrote:Great Shout mate, for me I would love Clarke to come in. He has great pedigree and cares about the club he's working at, as seen when he is on the touchline with Huddersfield. Very animated to say the least!

Yeah I agree there mate - very good young manager and certainly shows he cares.

Personally I wouldn't mind him or another manager I've been impressed with this season, Malky Mackay at Watford - not afraid to play the youngsters (mind you they always produce good players so I guess he has no choice in that respect :lol: ), and has done well with very little if any money at all. He even had them in with more than a good shout of making the play-offs back around December/January time !

Saying all that I wouldn't mind Di Matteo or Hughton who seem to be the frontrunners at the moment.

brilliantbluebirds09 wrote:Carew is greater than Bothroyd.

Certainly debatable ! IMO Carew's career has stagnated since his early days under O'Neill.

Jimbo27 wrote:Are you seriously saying you don't want a man who has delivered trophies and promotions to his teams? Two promotions at wyconbe, promotion and carling cup at Leicester, multiple trophies and good results in the champions league at celticand took villa to their highest league position in years!!!! There is hardly a better manager in the game, plus he is passionate and committed! If all fans wouldn't be satisfied with his appimtment for us we may as well pack it in!

I haven't looked his career history up to be honest, so thanks for that ! I didn't know a lot about his time at Wycombe. I've already said that I wouldn't mind him as manager, all I'm saying is that employing a big-name manager like him (on high wages I might add) who might bring in some of his former players (e.g Carew) who might not be as hungry for success is perhaps the wrong way to go about getting a new manager. I'm saying that perhaps it's time to give a lesser known person the job, e.g Lee Clark/Hughton/Di Matteo !

Basically what I'm saying is that you don't always have to spend big on a new manager in order to achieve success ! Save the money for new players.

Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:07 pm

Jimbo27 wrote:Are you seriously saying you don't want a man who has delivered trophies and promotions to his teams? Two promotions at wyconbe, promotion and carling cup at Leicester, multiple trophies and good results in the champions league at celticand took villa to their highest league position in years!!!! There is hardly a better manager in the game, plus he is passionate and committed! If all fans wouldn't be satisfied with his appimtment for us we may as well pack it in!

spot on! martin o`neills career i have followed very closely after seeing him at merthyr many times! absolutely fantastic manager!

Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:10 pm

Cwmann_Bluebird wrote:Having read what Carl has had to say tonight, I would settle for any of the managers really but one thing I have thought about is O'Neill as our manager.

I've read on numerous sites that if he gets the job he will be looking to bring in some of his former players at Villa, e.g Heskey, Carew etc. but wouldn't these type of players be worse than some of the players we already have, i.e overpaid with no real care for the club and the fans ?

Just thinking about it tonight and I don't see what all the fuss is about with O'Neill really, yes he's a quality manager but something tells me he wouldn't be right for us ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_O'Neill check out what he did at wycombe and leicester! ... clubs without big money! ... check out his playing career too! EUROPEAN CUP WINNER!

Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:18 pm

AHERNE wrote:
Cwmann_Bluebird wrote:Having read what Carl has had to say tonight, I would settle for any of the managers really but one thing I have thought about is O'Neill as our manager.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_O'Neill check out what he did at wycombe and leicester! ... clubs without big money! ... check out his playing career too! EUROPEAN CUP WINNER!

Fair enough regarding his Wycombe achievements, but it says very little about Leicester apart from them winning the League Cup twice and a couple of top half finishes in the Prem. I'm sure I remember somebody on here mentioning him winning them promotion ?

Yes I know he won the European Cup :lol: But his playing career is over now !

Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:20 pm

Cwmann_Bluebird wrote:
AHERNE wrote:

Fair enough regarding his Wycombe achievements, but it says very little about Leicester apart from them winning the League Cup twice and a couple of top half finishes in the Prem. I'm sure I remember somebody on here mentioning him winning them promotion ?

Yes I know he won the European Cup :lol: But his playing career is over now !

yes he took leicester up via the play-offs!

Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:03 pm

Oh right, cheers for that :ayatollah: