Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

" WAS THIS SEASON A SUCCESS OR A FAILURE ? "

Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:01 am

2010-2011 was a "stuck in a rut" season for me!

I personally don't think we have neither improved or become any worse, I think it would be fair to say that we failed in respect of promotion in the fact we had a great squad in probably what was a weaker league and a great chance to go up, and also that we were in 2nd place alot last term. But finishing 4th again, but with a record amount of points for us in the championship has not seen us really improve? We have lost 12 players so far this season in returning loanees and released players, We have sacked/released a manager that many thought should have gone at a far earlier time than at the end of this season. Maybe if the board were a bit braver back last season, or even after the big 6 failure at Preston the season before, we might already be a premier league team as a result of beating Blackpool - but that wasn't to be!

If anyone thinks it was a successful season then please feel free to explain why? My opinion is that it was a MASSIVE failure.

I am excited and looking forward to see who Cardiff City will appoint in the next few days to come, but we have a big rebuilding job to do to go again next season, or will we?
Last edited by Forever Blue on Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: spelling mistake!

Re: WAS THIS SEASON A SUCCESS OR A FAILURE?

Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:08 am

Totally agree. It was the beginnings signs of decline. I've been really pissed off with those people who don't watch us week in week out saying sacking Jones was a ridiculous decision. If they were watching every week like the rest of us they'd be aware that issues have been present for the last 18 months... some might say even since the Preston away defeat a couple of years back.

It was a wasted season in my eyes and one where 'stale' has been the key word.

Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:21 am

I've said I before, last season was oneof the worst can remember, I even enjoyed the days of hibbit and osman more!! Such a frustrating year but onwards and upwards now

Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:47 am

Tough question Merlin - Can I Phone A Friend :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

A massive failure which cost anything between £10 - £15m :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:50 am

Success. Jonesy wanted to finish fourth, and we did. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:44 am

One big failure.

Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:50 am

So where have all these posters gone that said it was still quite a successful season then?

Jones was still improving year on year, we got our highest finish and points for years, attracted lots of good players, had super Bellamy masterminded by jones, - HOWEVER the same man failed, highlighting all the above even shows that the manager, even with All these plus points, still couldn't achieve a much needed promotion.

Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:58 am

Merlin wrote:So where have all these posters gone that said it was still quite a successful season then?

Jones was still improving year on year, we got our highest finish and points for years, attracted lots of good players, had super Bellamy masterminded by jones, - HOWEVER the same man failed, highlighting all the above even shows that the manager, even with All these plus points, still couldn't achieve a much needed promotion.

For me the biggest aspect relating to last seasons failure was the financial cost to the business, TG & VT arrived and were immediately confronted with a business with little free cash, all the ST monies gone and debts which needed to be settled right left and centre just to be able to sign players.

They did all of that and supported the manager with a big budget, supported by them and in the case of Bellamy personally by VT, and still we failed to get promotion.

We could not of asked for more from VT & TG, we most certainly have a right to ask more of DJ and the players.

A big failure at huge financial cost we should not forget that. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:59 am

f**k last season!! Next seasons where its at!! :ayatollah:

Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:05 am

It's got to be classed as a failiure because the Manager promised promotion and failed to deliver while both Norwich and the Jerks with lower budgets achieved Premiership football :twisted:

However it was our highest points total and a top 4 finish and there was a lot of teams who would have settled for that just look where Sheffield United are now. I honestly think that the new Manager whoever it may be as a big task on his hands because anything less than Top 6 must be deemed a failiure after what DJ did :o :old:

Re: " WAS THIS SEASON A SUCCESS OR A FAILURE ? "

Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:19 am

My Opinion.

Nearly £21 Million put in to the Club, No Major Debts paid Off. Never Went up Automatically, Never even made Wembley for the Play offs. Our Player Assets have Dwindled drastically. Our Neighbours go up on just a £6 Mill Budget. Our Fans Were Devastated .
YES A COMPLETE DISASTER IN MY OPINION, TOTAL FAILURE.

BUT ON THE PLUS SIDE.

Malaysians Say they are Challenging for Promotion again. Dave Jones Sacked, They now Say the Debts will now be sorted out :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

SO HOPEFULLY FUTURE LOOKS GOOD.

JUST LOOKING FORWARD TO A NEW MANAGER :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:21 am

It was a failure. The team we had we should have gone up automatic in what was a weak league.

Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:21 am

It always felt like an air of inevitability was hanging over the place, jonesy's miserable personality didn't help saying things like "it's just another game" and "people in this part of the world". Yeah definately we didn't achieve our ambitions which were definately attainable, QPR ran away with it but we were just as talented "on" the pitch but unfortunately not as talented "off" the pitch, it's an opportunity lost and made worse by the JB's gaining promotion, the tools were all there, the person using those tools didn't use them properly. :twisted: Without doubt A FAILURE.

Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:27 am

Both my feet are firmly in the Massive Failure camp.

In fact every positive someone comes out with I have a very strong counter arguement against. Example being this season we gained the most points ever in this league. Yeah right with the best squad we have had in the history of the club in a very weak league that saw a team that was playing in a lower division 12 months ago finish above us, a team that though relegation the same time last year take our expected top spot and lets not forget the team down the road hey.

Dave Jones, our greatest manager ever! Get real his legacy here will be the biggest failed manager we have ever had.

Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:33 am

I agree with you Merlin. We have to be grateful to DJ in as far as we have'nt stayed at this level for years, but apart from a few performances I never thought we were going up. Good points tally but a weaker division by far this time.

Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:37 am

[quote="Merlin"]2010-2011 was a "stuck in a rut" season for me!

Maybe if the board were a bit braver back last season, or even after the big 6 failure at Preston the season before, we might already be a premier league team as a result of beating Blackpool - but that wasn't to be!
quote]

Could not agree more with this quote, Plus i think that many of us who go to watch them week in week out will agree that when nothing is going our way there was no change in formation or gameplan to help change a game, plus i felt that the last 10 minutes of each game even when we were winning by two goals or more i was on the edge of my seat cause i expected the self-destruct button to be pressed at any moment( Norwich away, QPR home... two games which if we held on could have guaranteed us an automatic place) Plus with the noisy neighbours going up just makes a mockery of the last decade we spend building to challenge, so..... FAILURE!!!!

Sat Jun 04, 2011 1:26 pm

FAILURE.

We didnt achieve anything.

Getting to a Play Off Final or Semi Final is worthles.

We just aswell have finished 14th.

We have also lost Bothroyd, Burke and Matthews for diddly squat.

One of out Centre Halfs was also loaned out and won Player of the Season. In his place we originaly brought in
Chris Bloody Riggott, the whole world new it wouldnt work out, but not Jones.

The whole season was a failure and Jones in the transfer market was even worse.

Sat Jun 04, 2011 2:03 pm

How any1 can say this season was a success baffles me

Sat Jun 04, 2011 2:17 pm

Epic fail.

Sat Jun 04, 2011 2:30 pm

Yes you are right it was a failure but every cloud has a silver lining.

1) DJ's style of play would never have lasted in the PL
2) we now have a chance to change the way the team is set up
3) gives us a chance to take stock and clear the rot such as jay, im sorry he was a complete failure since his "massive" england cap and i would not have him back his attitude stank.
4) this has shown all that our far east investers are as commited as ever.

So yes I am disappointed but the last week has provided a huge boost to optimism and I believe that we will now be in a better position to push for promotion whilst maintaining a better chance of staying up once we get there

Sat Jun 04, 2011 3:57 pm

100% failure because the aim of this season was to gain promotion which didnt happen :(

Sat Jun 04, 2011 4:32 pm

A total failure to be honest, made all the worse by Swansea getting promoted. But that aside, we were simply woeful at times, added to that was DJ losing the dressing room, players out boozing, young players getting bollockings & then leaving, & some very dodgy loan signings [again], then how could it possibly be described as successful? Yes, one could argue that we amassed more points than we have done in the last forty odd years, but for me, we just never looked the "business", week in, week out. We never ever looked a "team".
The time had well passed for change at Cardiff City, imho!

Sat Jun 04, 2011 6:16 pm

I get your point, but it cant be anything else other than huge failure. Premiership football is the target regardless, yes we can start again under new management but id swap nothing to be there now. Thats it for me.

Sat Jun 04, 2011 6:20 pm

massive failure should have walked it. Let down very badly by players and manager again :evil:

Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:25 pm

the only reason it was a success is DJ was sacked,

tbf id rather him have got us up and remained in his job,

we so needed a change..

Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:33 pm

If we get the right man SUCESS

Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:08 am

TheTrueBlue7 wrote:If we get the right man SUCESS

thinly veiled 'i've been on the booze all day' post IMO.

Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:32 am

Total failure and, despite the bigger points tally, I'm convinced we were a poorer side than in 09/10 when we showed a lot of spirit in adversity.

Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:05 am

the other Bob Wilson wrote:Total failure and, despite the bigger points tally, I'm convinced we were a poorer side than in 09/10 when we showed a lot of spirit in adversity.

The individual talent was there Bob, but when it came to plating as a tea your right we were much poorer, thanks to the management.

Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:07 am

The reality is that we finished in the same position as last year with a squad, Bellamy discounted, was expected to be playoffs at best. One man does not a team make.

However, another fact is that we failed to improve on last season's performance, making Jones' position at the club untenable. Fairly simple really.

I couldn't say that we succeeded but to say that we failed is incredibly harsh imo.