Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Best style to get out of Championship?

Sat Jun 04, 2011 2:09 pm

Whoever the new manager is be interested in what you guys think is the best formation/approach to get out of this division?

We seemed to be stuck between a 4-4-2 and 4-3-3 last year.

My choice is a 4-4-2 with two hard working defensive midfield players to stop the opposition playing, then rely on the wide guys and forwards to get the goals.

Re: Best style to get out of Championship?

Sat Jun 04, 2011 2:20 pm

4-2-3-1

counter attack

two defensive midfielders, 3 just behind the striker, with one up front. Need bags of pace.

This is why we should get some good free transfers in.

Sat Jun 04, 2011 2:30 pm

Like the sound of that mate. Think we were a but weak middle of pitch last year, hoped Darcy would have been given a run in a three in the middle alongside Olly and Whitts/\Mcphail.

Sat Jun 04, 2011 2:33 pm

Most teams are evolving into the 4-2-3-1 formation these days. I think we had the players for it last year but we never used it. Hopefully the new manager will adopt it.

Sat Jun 04, 2011 2:50 pm

jamesbarnett91 wrote:4-2-3-1

counter attack

two defensive midfielders, 3 just behind the striker, with one up front. Need bags of pace.

This is why we should get some good free transfers in.

With you 100% on this! It's a fluid formation going forward and In defense, allows us to play between the lines and squeeze the space when the opposition has the ball! 442 is dead, as we saw with Dj this season, swans and qpr both went up playing 4 231, even England have now jacked in 442!

Sat Jun 04, 2011 3:17 pm

Zabier wrote:Most teams are evolving into the 4-2-3-1 formation these days. I think we had the players for it last year but we never used it. Hopefully the new manager will adopt it.

We used it once against Donny and won 4-0. We had Oli and Drinkwater in CDM, 3 just in front of them with Bothroyd up top on his own. It worked brilliantly as Bellamy often dropped deep from the left wing to start attacks.

Then Jones made a sub, went back to 4-4-2 and we never saw that formation again. Its since that day I wanted Jones out. He clearly was proved wrong by someone who told him to go 4-2-3-1 and reverted back to save face. It was a disgrace.

Sat Jun 04, 2011 4:16 pm

We need a xavi/scholes and dare i say it britton type to work hard, control the midfield and spread the ball. Quick wingers to scare ful backs

4-1-4-1 or 4-2-3-1 for me :ayatollah:

Sat Jun 04, 2011 5:42 pm

8-1-1 with counter attack never going to have goals against us lol serious though think about it might be boring but still :ayatollah: :lol:

Sat Jun 04, 2011 5:59 pm

Two out and out wingers would be handy. Routledge and Sinclair will do nicely. :)

Sat Jun 04, 2011 6:02 pm

buckleys brewery wrote:Two out and out wingers would be handy. Routledge and Sinclair will do nicely. :)

Hopefully if Hughton comes he'll bring Routledge with him! I think we should go for Kazenga Lua Lua on a free. He was on loan with Brighton last season and tore that division apart, plenty of pace and skill. Him and Routledge on either flank with a good target man up front will trouble any defense in my opinion.

Sat Jun 04, 2011 6:25 pm

Tonteg Bluebird wrote:
buckleys brewery wrote:Two out and out wingers would be handy. Routledge and Sinclair will do nicely. :)

Hopefully if Hughton comes he'll bring Routledge with him! I think we should go for Kazenga Lua Lua on a free. He was on loan with Brighton last season and tore that division apart, plenty of pace and skill. Him and Routledge on either flank with a good target man up front will trouble any defense in my opinion.

:ayatollah: