Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Chris Hughton is the right man for the job

Sat Jun 04, 2011 3:10 pm

I'll explain why here.

He can handle pressure.

Newcastle fans, along with Liverpool fans, are possibly the most the expectant fans in the UK, if not the world. In Britain, its this very expectancy that leads to them being ridiculed. Now, Hughton stepped right in, took over and had to deal with that pressure from the off. He put a squad together, yes of very talented individuals, but he still needed to get them to play, still needed to keep them down to Earth. We've seen many clubs come down, hold on to quality and still not make it up. Thats a fact. Bouncing straight back is a very hard thing to do and he got a Newcastle side to do it. A few of those Newcastle players could have thought 'oh well, i'll get a transfer soon' just as Bothroyd did in January but Hughton had the influence in the dressing room, the influence that kept them wanting to get back amongst those in the premiership. Its that fight, its that passion we need at City.

He can notice a talent when he sees it.

He sanctioned the transfer of Hatem Ben Arfa. Okay, you may not think this is a big deal but it is. Ben Arfa was being scouted by Liverpool and United at the time. He has been a talent for many years, albiet the attitude, and many in the footballing world are surprised he hadn't moved to the premier league sooner. Hughton signed him right under the nose of both Liverpool and United. He took on board the fact that these top clubs were scouting Ben Arfa and used that as a signal to poach a top player. Whereas Uniteds and Liverpools scouts would watch a player 6-10 games before coming up with a report, he signed him up quickly before missing out on talent. Now other players may have held out for a United or Liverpool offer but Ben Arfa just wanted to play premiership football and Newcastle offered that to him and offered him the chance to show himself on the premiership stage. There will be many other players like that and if Hughton can steal them from under the nose of other managers then thats brilliant business. He also sanctioned the transfers of other good players like Gosling, TIote and Perch. All of whom are doing a job at Newcastle.

He develops youth.

Hughton did what all good managers do, he brought through youth players. He brought through Andy Carroll. Now whilst you may say that Carroll would have under any manager, that is not always the case as we found out ourselves with Jones. Liverpool fans have also found that out the hard way. They have had a massive amount of talent in their youth system and it wasn't until Dalglish took over that they were given a chance to shine and to put it quite bluntly, since they've been given their chance they've played well. He also brought through other youth players at Newcastle. Haris Vuckic, Nile Ranger, Kazenga LuaLua, James Tavernier and Ryan Donaldson. Okay, they're not all British but they all came through the youth system. Its the work on the youth system that Hughton did that has left those at Newcastle most pleased. He's a coach first and foremost, he knows how to develop players, he understands when players are ready to break into the first team, he understands the mentality of a young player and can assist them. Thats what we need, someone on ground level who is willing to be there for the players, we dont need a stubborn manager who insists on using the same formation all the time. You may not believe me but it was actually Kevin Nolan who told Hughton to use the 4-4-1-1 formation. It worked wonders with Nolan playing in behind Carroll. A manager who listens to his players is a very very very valuable manager as you learn more about your team and widen your education of football altogether. The man is a seasoned coach who has worked at Newcastle, Spurs and with the ROI international team.

Overall

So if it ends up being Hughton, good work by the club in my opinion to bring in someone who is willing to learn the ropes and keep educating themselves, someone who can poach talent in the transfer market and someone who puts himself on the players level rather than on board room level.

The concept is very similar to a lecturer/student relationship. If the lecturer is on your level you feel more comfortable going to them about help and approaching them. This leads to a group where everyone feels like its a family. If the lecturer puts themself on a pedestal then you get students who dont feel comfortable which leads to a decline in morale within the group. Its exactly the same with managers and players. This is where Jones lost the dressing room. He thought he was always right, knew better and kept up making excuses to defend himself and his wrongdoings rather than taking it on the chin and admitting his mistakes. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Re: Chris Hughton is the right man for the job

Sat Jun 04, 2011 3:14 pm

Good post, fair play you should be hughtons agent, I'm still not 100% convinced but willing to give him a chance

Sat Jun 04, 2011 3:40 pm

Top post :ayatollah:

Be great to see a manager who would utilise his youth team, and willing to adapt to different formations, but significant aspect is, hes willing to learn and listen to his players, thats respect, and players would play for their manager.

DJ was to stubborn, stuck to his rigid 4-4-2 formations and was never willing to adapt to new ideas, and rarely used youth players, Ledley was an exception because he was established under Lawerance, but lost players like Gunter, Ramsey, Megginis and now matthews.

Whilst I'm unsure of Chris Hughton, I would back him, upcoming managers always need to start somewhere, and if hes willing to learn, and learn from mistakes and listen, what else can you ask for.

Sat Jun 04, 2011 5:41 pm

azz_ccfc wrote:Top post :ayatollah:

Be great to see a manager who would utilise his youth team, and willing to adapt to different formations, but significant aspect is, hes willing to learn and listen to his players, thats respect, and players would play for their manager.

DJ was to stubborn, stuck to his rigid 4-4-2 formations and was never willing to adapt to new ideas, and rarely used youth players, Ledley was an exception because he was established under Lawerance, but lost players like Gunter, Ramsey, Megginis and now matthews.

Whilst I'm unsure of Chris Hughton, I would back him, upcoming managers always need to start somewhere, and if hes willing to learn, and learn from mistakes and listen, what else can you ask for.

cheers mate. I agree with your points. Hughton doesn't have a lot of experience but the positives far outweigh the negatives. :ayatollah:

Sat Jun 04, 2011 5:43 pm

GREAT POST James and EXCELLENT Read :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sat Jun 04, 2011 5:47 pm

jamesbarnett91 wrote:I'll explain why here.

He can handle pressure.

Newcastle fans, along with Liverpool fans, are possibly the most the expectant fans in the UK, if not the world. In Britain, its this very expectancy that leads to them being ridiculed. Now, Hughton stepped right in, took over and had to deal with that pressure from the off. He put a squad together, yes of very talented individuals, but he still needed to get them to play, still needed to keep them down to Earth. We've seen many clubs come down, hold on to quality and still not make it up. Thats a fact. Bouncing straight back is a very hard thing to do and he got a Newcastle side to do it. A few of those Newcastle players could have thought 'oh well, i'll get a transfer soon' just as Bothroyd did in January but Hughton had the influence in the dressing room, the influence that kept them wanting to get back amongst those in the premiership. Its that fight, its that passion we need at City.

Cracking post pal, very informative and well thought out :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

He sanctioned the transfer of Hatem Ben Arfa. Okay, you may not think this is a big deal but it is. Ben Arfa was being scouted by Liverpool and United at the time. He has been a talent for many years, albiet the attitude, and many in the footballing world are surprised he hadn't moved to the premier league sooner. Hughton signed him right under the nose of both Liverpool and United. He took on board the fact that these top clubs were scouting Ben Arfa and used that as a signal to poach a top player. Whereas Uniteds and Liverpools scouts would watch a player 6-10 games before coming up with a report, he signed him up quickly before missing out on talent. Now other players may have held out for a United or Liverpool offer but Ben Arfa just wanted to play premiership football and Newcastle offered that to him and offered him the chance to show himself on the premiership stage. There will be many other players like that and if Hughton can steal them from under the nose of other managers then thats brilliant business. He also sanctioned the transfers of other good players like Gosling, TIote and Perch. All of whom are doing a job at Newcastle.

He develops youth.

Hughton did what all good managers do, he brought through youth players. He brought through Andy Carroll. Now whilst you may say that Carroll would have under any manager, that is not always the case as we found out ourselves with Jones. Liverpool fans have also found that out the hard way. They have had a massive amount of talent in their youth system and it wasn't until Dalglish took over that they were given a chance to shine and to put it quite bluntly, since they've been given their chance they've played well. He also brought through other youth players at Newcastle. Haris Vuckic, Nile Ranger, Kazenga LuaLua, James Tavernier and Ryan Donaldson. Okay, they're not all British but they all came through the youth system. Its the work on the youth system that Hughton did that has left those at Newcastle most pleased. He's a coach first and foremost, he knows how to develop players, he understands when players are ready to break into the first team, he understands the mentality of a young player and can assist them. Thats what we need, someone on ground level who is willing to be there for the players, we dont need a stubborn manager who insists on using the same formation all the time. You may not believe me but it was actually Kevin Nolan who told Hughton to use the 4-4-1-1 formation. It worked wonders with Nolan playing in behind Carroll. A manager who listens to his players is a very very very valuable manager as you learn more about your team and widen your education of football altogether. The man is a seasoned coach who has worked at Newcastle, Spurs and with the ROI international team.

Overall

So if it ends up being Hughton, good work by the club in my opinion to bring in someone who is willing to learn the ropes and keep educating themselves, someone who can poach talent in the transfer market and someone who puts himself on the players level rather than on board room level.

The concept is very similar to a lecturer/student relationship. If the lecturer is on your level you feel more comfortable going to them about help and approaching them. This leads to a group where everyone feels like its a family. If the lecturer puts themself on a pedestal then you get students who dont feel comfortable which leads to a decline in morale within the group. Its exactly the same with managers and players. This is where Jones lost the dressing room. He thought he was always right, knew better and kept up making excuses to defend himself and his wrongdoings rather than taking it on the chin and admitting his mistakes. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sat Jun 04, 2011 5:49 pm

Quality post :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: he has a badass look too :lol:

Sat Jun 04, 2011 5:54 pm

Chris Houghton gets my vote. I think he is the right man for the job. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sat Jun 04, 2011 5:56 pm

Top drawer post James, superb stuff ! :ayatollah:

Sat Jun 04, 2011 6:01 pm

put it this way, if we found out he got the Chelsea job next week, we'd be absolutely gutted we missed out on such a great manager....thats the kind of feelings that would flood the board. Bring on CH! Let him show his full potential finally....he must be gagging!!

Sat Jun 04, 2011 6:07 pm

He can handle pressure.

He develops youth.

Overall

Also he has no backroom staff so Cardiffs Backroom saff can stay e.g Terry Burton

Sat Jun 04, 2011 6:29 pm

thanks for the positive comments. Maybe I should reword the English a little and add it to my blog. :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sat Jun 04, 2011 6:32 pm

DO I IT GIVE IT TO THEM :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sat Jun 04, 2011 6:37 pm

TheTrueBlue7 wrote:DO I IT GIVE IT TO THEM :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:02 pm

Great Post, behind MON I believe he would be the best man for the job. He also had a 55% win percentage at Newcastle. Thats not bad is it? DJ's was 41%. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :D

Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:10 pm

Brilliant Post :ayatollah:

I've also noticed alot of posts saying that he's inexperienced?

14 years at Tottenham where he first of all he was a Coach, then went on to become Manager of the U21 Team, then he went on to Manage the Reserve Team, then from there he went on to become First Team Assistant Manager where he also become First Team Caretaker Manager on two occasions.

3 years at Newcastle where first of all he was a Coach, then he went on to become Assistant Manager where he also became First Team Caretaker Manger twice, then went on to eventually getting the job as First Team Manager.

Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:04 pm

He can handle pressure.

He develops youth.

Overall

He's cheap !!