Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: ASHLEY WILLIAMS TO QPR

Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:18 pm

It's still bullshit as there is no release clause :roll:

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/footballna ... -27170855/

Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:19 pm

Stan-QPR wrote:£1M buy out clause activated.

I know he's a jack but as he's a Welsh International I'm presuming you will know more about him than me. I'd like your honest opinion on him if possible.

What is his natural position & how is he technically & ability wise?

Yet we rejected a bid of over £2 million for him last season from Leicester City and he has not in the meantime signed a new contract so this 'buy out clause' is impossible.

If I am wrong I'd be the first to apologize but I very, very much doubt this is true.

And as for asking about his valuation, ability, etc, you're on the wrong site if you want a fair response. :lol:

Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:26 pm

Stan-QPR wrote:
Cwmann_Bluebird wrote:Sorry I was just a little bit surprised :lol:

He's played centre-half all his Swansea & Wales career except for the odd occasion when he's played defensive midfield for Wales (against Scotland in 09/10, and this season against Bulgaria back in October), a role he hasn't performed that well in to be honest (Bulgaria was the worst performance of the two IMO).

Cheers mate. Good run down. I've heard good things about him but loads seem to be slating him, sour grapes or the truth?

Any player Neil Warnock signs will always improve in my opinion so that's one advantage if he's that bad :lol:

:lol: I'd trust Warnock with my life to be fair !

Definitely sour grapes from most CCFC supporters to be honest, the guy is different class at Championship level and he can play a bit too ! I think the sour grapes stem from the fact he's a jack obviously, and that in the 09/10 season, in our home game (April '10) when we nicked a 2-1 win from under their noses in injury time, he was actually credited with the opening goal (yes we did go 1-0 down but incredibly managed to turn it around :o ), even though he looked to have barged David Marshall into the goal when trying to get on the end of a corner at the near post in an incident that wouldn't have looked out of place in WWE, which resulted in him grabbing the goal out of the net and smashing it into the Canton end :lol:

Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:28 pm

Predictably it didn't go down too well :lol:

Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:44 am

SCFC10 wrote:

I know he's a jack but as he's a Welsh International I'm presuming you will know more about him than me. I'd like your honest opinion on him if possible.

Yet we rejected a bid of over £2 million for him last season from Leicester City and he has not in the meantime signed a new contract so this 'buy out clause' is impossible.

If I am wrong I'd be the first to apologize but I very, very much doubt this is true.

And as for asking about his valuation, ability, etc, you're on the wrong site if you want a fair response. :lol:

This ain't a dig but do you think he is worth 2m?

Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:49 am

2blue2handle wrote:
SCFC10 wrote:

This ain't a dig but do you think he is worth 2m?

He's worth a lot more than that. He's the best defender in the 2nd best defence in the Championship and a defence that only conceded 11 goals at home all season and hasn't missed a game for over 3 years.

And now he's a Premier League player.

If £2m was offered it would be an insult.

Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:50 am

The Jack is having a nightmare. NQAT.

Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:52 am

Well I personally think he's worth about £3 to £4 million, which could increase dependant upon his performances in the top flight. I look at it this way, he's no worse than James Collins for Wales, better the majority of the time I would say, and that guy is a regular for Aston Villa and would surely be valued at say £5 million at least.

I don't think Ash is a top, top quality player or anything like that, don't get me wrong, but he's been a top Championship defender throughout his time here and that is just what players go for and are valued at nowadays, particularly to clubs with no great need to sell such as ourselves.

Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:12 am

He's worth a lot more than that. He's the best defender in the 2nd best defence in the Championship and a defence that only conceded 11 goals at home all season and hasn't missed a game for over 3 years.

And now he's a Premier League player.

If £2m was offered it would be an insult.

He isnt a prem league player yet, he hasnt played a game, lets be sensible now.

Yes I agree he was in a very strong defensive unit but I do wonder about his capabilities. He has always looked a mess at international level as you can agree im sure. I still think 1m is a gamble but a worthwhile one. I wouldnt want him at CB in the prem, maybe def mid if desperate.

Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:43 am

To be honest you just have to look at Swansea's defensive record this season to see how good he is as he's Swansea's best defender. Very comfortable on the ball, 2 good feet and pacey. Doesn't strike me as the Warnock type of defender mind, sometimes he dwells on the ball and tries to overplay and occasionally gets caught out. although his pace allows him to recover from most mistakes. He also isn't the most physical centre back and i've always thought a big physical target man could dominate him. I think if he tried marking Drogba, Carroll etc he would be roughed up a bit.

To summarise he's the "pretty" defender. Pacey, good on the ball and uses his pace and anticipation to intercept passes and win the ball rather than physically battling and going into crunching tackles. At Championship level, I suppose his pace and anticipation allow him to avoid the physical challenges but would he quick enough to get away with playing that style in the Premiership? The sinister side of me (being a Bluebird) believes he may be roughed up, caught out and make mistakes at a higher level; but overall, I think he would be a good signing for a million and we'll never know if he can make the step up until he's tested.

Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:49 am

Tonteg Bluebird wrote:To be honest you just have to look at Swansea's defensive record this season to see how good he is as he's Swansea's best defender. Very comfortable on the ball, 2 good feet and pacey. Doesn't strike me as the Warnock type of defender mind, sometimes he dwells on the ball and tries to overplay and occasionally gets caught out. although his pace allows him to recover from most mistakes. He also isn't the most physical centre back and i've always thought a big physical target man could dominate him. I think if he tried marking Drogba, Carroll etc he would be roughed up a bit.

To summarise he's the "pretty" defender. Pacey, good on the ball and uses his pace and anticipation to intercept passes and win the ball rather than physically battling and going into crunching tackles. At Championship level, I suppose his pace and anticipation allow him to avoid the physical challenges but would he quick enough to get away with playing that style in the Premiership? The sinister side of me (being a Bluebird) believes he may be roughed up, caught out and make mistakes at a higher level; but overall, I think he would be a good signing for a million and we'll never know if he can make the step up until he's tested.

Why is he so shit at international level tho?
and the biggest question is why is he trying to look like a black wolverine :old:

Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:53 am

2blue2handle wrote:
Tonteg Bluebird wrote:To be honest you just have to look at Swansea's defensive record this season to see how good he is as he's Swansea's best defender. Very comfortable on the ball, 2 good feet and pacey. Doesn't strike me as the Warnock type of defender mind, sometimes he dwells on the ball and tries to overplay and occasionally gets caught out. although his pace allows him to recover from most mistakes. He also isn't the most physical centre back and i've always thought a big physical target man could dominate him. I think if he tried marking Drogba, Carroll etc he would be roughed up a bit.

Why is he so shit at international level tho?
and the biggest question is why is he trying to look like a black wolverine :old:

Like I said, I think at a higher level he may be caught out, just like he has been numerous times at international level. Also, Swansea play 4-5-1, so he's protected more than his club than with his country.

Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:54 am

I agree, other than Rangel who I rate I dont like any of the swansea players, its more about the system and work ethic.

Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:58 am

2blue2handle wrote:I agree, other than Rangel who I rate I dont like any of the swansea players, its more about the system and work ethic.

Thanks for correcting me, Rangel is Swansea's best defender, and probably the best right back in the Championship. As you say, it's Swansea's system and work ethic, playing as a team and working for one another that has made them successful this season.

Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:06 am

Wales don't use him the way he wants to, but he hasn't performed every time i've seen him. Theres better out there. But the Jacks seem to love him!

Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:41 am

He's a over rated tw@t!

He isnt Welsh, something to do with his grand parents or somthing.

He's scum, if i was you Stan i would be very disappointed if you signed him.

He's shit!

Sun Jun 05, 2011 4:42 am

Tonteg Bluebird wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:I agree, other than Rangel who I rate I dont like any of the swansea players, its more about the system and work ethic.

Thanks for correcting me, Rangel is Swansea's best defender, and probably the best right back in the Championship. As you say, it's Swansea's system and work ethic, playing as a team and working for one another that has made them successful this season.

As someone who watches the Swans week in week out I can assure you Rangel is not our best defender, far from it, you could go as far to say he's our weak link defensively, it's what he brings to us in an attacking sense is what makes him worth whatever he's valued at.

Sun Jun 05, 2011 4:42 am

Ccfc Shane wrote:He's a over rated tw@t!

He isnt Welsh, something to do with his grand parents or somthing.

He's scum, if i was you Stan i would be very disappointed if you signed him.

He's shit!

:lol:

Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:12 am

He's a great player but he'd cost you at least £5m! That's if Swansea decide to sell.

Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:50 am

I heard he was off to Bolton regardless if the Jacks went up or not.

Also I thought he was a free agent now so if that is right why is there a £1m buyout clause?

Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:28 am

Bakedalasker wrote:I heard he was off to Bolton regardless if the Jacks went up or not.

Also I thought he was a free agent now so if that is right why is there a £1m buyout clause?

Just read he has 2 years left of his contract.

Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:44 am

Bakedalasker wrote:I heard he was off to Bolton regardless if the Jacks went up or not.

You are referring to Pratley I think....

Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:46 am

Merlin wrote:

You are referring to Pratley I think....

I knew Pratley was butwas too sure about Williams. As mentioned above just read he has 2 years left of his contract.

Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:35 am

its a win win situation for williams,he asks to talk to qpr then tells the jerks what they have offered.they either match it or he off.as a player i think hes one of those whose not quite prem but a very good champ player.

Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:48 am

NJ73 wrote:It's still bullshit as there is no release clause :roll:

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/footballna ... -27170855/

He's a decent championship defender but when he played for Wales against England ge really looked out of his depth so not sure if he's got it for the premier league!

Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:10 am

As the majority are saying he's fine in the Championship. He has the odd Darren Purse moment but I wouldn't mind him at Championship level. Premiership though? Hmmm. Good back up for £1m but I wouldn't want him as a main centre back if I was in QPR's position. I'd say Gorkss and Connolly are better.

Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:13 am

Lol at the Jacks flocking on here to defend Tamworth boy and trying to tell me what I've seen for Wales.

The only good game he had was when Ramsey ran the show against "Premier League" Darren Fletcher. And that was only because he had Ramsey in the midfield with him, no other reason whatsoever.

I will genuinely be surprised if he makes it at Premier League level.

Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:51 am

i honestly believe he is shite, owngoals...causes penalties...hes shite

Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:12 pm

SCFC10 wrote:
Tonteg Bluebird wrote:

As someone who watches the Swans week in week out I can assure you Rangel is not our best defender, far from it, you could go as far to say he's our weak link defensively, it's what he brings to us in an attacking sense is what makes him worth whatever he's valued at.

Fair enough, but to be honest Rangel had Bellamy in his pocket for the 2 games this season. Bellamy even admitted that himself. Perhaps Rangel raised it for those 2 games, although I have been very impressed with him both at attacking and defensively when I see you play on Sky as well SCFC10.

Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:11 pm

A very good centre back at championship level, hes done well considering hes got a useless tool like Tate playing alongside him. However, Cant see the the Jack scum leaving Swansea, he'll stay unless they're relegated.