Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: ASHLEY WILLIAMS TO QPR

Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:56 pm

Bakedalasker wrote:I heard he was off to Bolton regardless if the Jacks went up or not.

Also I thought he was a free agent now so if that is right why is there a £1m buyout clause?

:lol:

Sun Jun 05, 2011 4:09 pm

DaveSheffield wrote:Lol at the Jacks flocking on here to defend Tamworth boy and trying to tell me what I've seen for Wales.

The only good game he had was when Ramsey ran the show against "Premier League" Darren Fletcher. And that was only because he had Ramsey in the midfield with him, no other reason whatsoever.

I will genuinely be surprised if he makes it at Premier League level.

In my opinion he should not play for wales-he is not Welsh end of.

However he is a very good defender at Championship level and far better than anything we have (Kev McNaughton excepted). Whether he can make it at Premier League level is another matter. Personally i think he is good enough.

Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:08 pm

Phil Cadden
@pjcadden
Football reporter covering Cardiff City, Swansea City and Wales as well as other sports for Westgate who feed the national newspapers

Been told that Queens Park Rangers put in a bid of £2.6m for Ashley Williams after 5pm tonight.

Hmmmm

Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:11 pm

stan are you trying to upset our prem neighbours again. :lol:

Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:12 pm

hirwaunbluebird wrote:stan are you trying to upset our prem neighbours again. :lol:

I was rightfully egged the other day so am hoping I can stick this one up them :D

Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:13 pm

£2.6m is a joke of a bid.

Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:14 pm

The link;

http://twitter.com/#!/pjcadden

Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:14 pm

NJ73 wrote:£2.6m is a joke of a bid.

you right way to much. ;)

Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:15 pm

Stan-QPR wrote:
hirwaunbluebird wrote:stan are you trying to upset our prem neighbours again. :lol:

I was rightfully egged the other day so am hoping I can stick this one up them :D

they would like it up them. :P

Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:17 pm

hirwaunbluebird wrote:

Show some respect to your Premier League superiors :D

Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:19 pm

NJ73 wrote:
hirwaunbluebird wrote:

OUCH!! :P

Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:22 pm

NJ73 wrote:
hirwaunbluebird wrote:

prem league yes,superior never.

Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:24 pm

Neil Taylor has already manufactured a move away, and now their prize defender is on the verge of joining Neil Warnocks'revolution. The small welsh club already getting a lesson in the top flight. I've christened them next years'Blackpool, but even the Tiny Tangerines knew how to keep hold of their squad didn't they? Hehehe

Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:26 pm

CityGent wrote:Neil Taylor has already manufactured a move away, and now their prize defender is on the verge of joining Neil Warnocks'revolution. The small welsh club already getting a lesson in the top flight. I've christened them next years'Blackpool, but even the Tiny Tangerines knew how to keep hold of their squad didn't they? Hehehe

Taylor has manufactured a move away? Really?

Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:27 pm

havnt read many replies, but williams is shit!
rooney vs williams............ALL THE VERY BEST :lol:

Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:30 pm

Stan, it seems you are trying to sign the best of the Championship, there is a probable chance that the likes of Graham and Williams you're targetting will not handle the step up. My post recently comparing Graham to the likes of Odemwingie and Santa Cruz in my opinion points out that there are far better players at far cheaper prices around than the best of the Championship. Van Der Vaart only joining Spurs for 8 million is another example. How much did Blackburn sign Christopher Samba for, 450k? Going for the best in the Championship is not the best way for survival in the Premiership in my opinion. If you continue going down this route, I worry you might struggle.

Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:35 pm

Tonteg Bluebird wrote:Stan, it seems you are trying to sign the best of the Championship, there is a probable chance that the likes of Graham and Williams you're targetting will not handle the step up. My post recently comparing Graham to the likes of Odemwingie and Santa Cruz in my opinion points out that there are far better players at far cheaper prices around than the best of the Championship. Van Der Vaart only joining Spurs for 8 million is another example. How much did Blackburn sign Christopher Samba for, 450k? Going for the best in the Championship is not the best way for survival in the Premiership in my opinion. If you continue going down this route, I worry you might struggle.

Couldn't agree more mate.

Only hope I am holding onto at the moment is that I know we are pursuing good targets. Experienced Premiership players (and not too old)

It's early days & tbh no one is making moves yet. Norwich have spent £5m+ on shit imo so I'm happy to sit tight. Just hoping as you say we raise the bar a little.

Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:36 pm

NJ73 wrote:
CityGent wrote:Neil Taylor has already manufactured a move away, and now their prize defender is on the verge of joining Neil Warnocks'revolution. The small welsh club already getting a lesson in the top flight. I've christened them next years'Blackpool, but even the Tiny Tangerines knew how to keep hold of their squad didn't they? Hehehe

Neil Taylor and his agent yes. They approached Newcastle United and told them of the paltry 1million quid buyout clause

Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:38 pm

Stan-QPR wrote:
Tonteg Bluebird wrote:Stan, it seems you are trying to sign the best of the Championship, there is a probable chance that the likes of Graham and Williams you're targetting will not handle the step up. My post recently comparing Graham to the likes of Odemwingie and Santa Cruz in my opinion points out that there are far better players at far cheaper prices around than the best of the Championship. Van Der Vaart only joining Spurs for 8 million is another example. How much did Blackburn sign Christopher Samba for, 450k? Going for the best in the Championship is not the best way for survival in the Premiership in my opinion. If you continue going down this route, I worry you might struggle.

Only hope I am holding onto at the moment is that I know we are pursuing good targets. Experienced Premiership players (and not too old)

It's early days & tbh no one is making moves yet. Norwich have spent £5m+ on shit imo so I'm happy to sit tight. Just hoping as you say we raise the bar a little.

Auxerre defender Cedric Hengbart is on your radar too I read earlier

Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:39 pm

CityGent wrote:
NJ73 wrote:

Neil Taylor and his agent yes. They approached Newcastle United and told them of the paltry 1million quid buyout clause

Which would be fine and dandy but it's not a buy out clause. It gives him the right to speak to other clubs but it doesn't mean we then have to accept the offer.

Basically it's a pointless clause as agents would do that behind clubs backs anyway.

Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:43 pm

CityGent wrote:

Interesting. Haven't heard this one.

Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:46 pm

Stan-QPR wrote:
CityGent wrote:

Interesting. Haven't heard this one.

Yourselves, Stoke and I think the last team looking at him are Blackburn. He's highly rated

Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:48 pm

Stan im sure you can get better than Williams not PL playrer hope the jacks keep him. :ayatollah:

Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:48 pm

Stan-QPR wrote:

Totally agree with Norwich, if I was a Norwich fan I would be very worried. I've seen you linked to the likes of Jermaine Jenas and Robbie Keane, those are the type of players you need to bring in. I think they would both be perfect for QPR as you will have Jenas' engine doing the grafting for Taarabt, and Keane who is a natural goalscorer, something I think you lacked last season as Taarabt was the one scoring your goals, not your strikers. But as you say, it's experienced Premiership players you need.

I remember when Harry Redknapp took Portsmouth up, he signed a load of experienced internationals on 1 year deals, with the option to extend the deals if they stayed up. A brilliant bit of business I thought as Portsmouth stayed up with a team of internationals that oozed class, but still had the experience to know what it was all about to get results. If it didn't work out and they got relegated, they would have just released these internationals after their year and not be financially crippled. I think you should be going down this route instead of gambling on throwing millions on untested Premiership players.

Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:54 pm

Tonteg Bluebird wrote:
Totally agree with Norwich, if I was a Norwich fan I would be very worried. I've seen you linked to the likes of Jermaine Jenas and Robbie Keane, those are the type of players you need to bring in. I think they would both be perfect for QPR as you will have Jenas' engine doing the grafting for Taarabt, and Keane who is a natural goalscorer, something I think you lacked last season as Taarabt was the one scoring your goals, not your strikers. But as you say, it's experienced Premiership players you need.

I remember when Harry Redknapp took Portsmouth up, he signed a load of experienced internationals on 1 year deals, with the option to extend the deals if they stayed up. A brilliant bit of business I thought as Portsmouth stayed up with a team of internationals that oozed class, but still had the experience to know what it was all about to get results. If it didn't work out and they got relegated, they would have just released these internationals after their year and not be financially crippled. I think you should be going down this route instead of gambling on throwing millions on untested Premiership players.

Fancy a job scouting at QPR? :D

You are 100% right again mate. What I will say though is that every Rangers fan trusts Warnock. He's no fool & will bring in players he feels will make us hard to beat. Only negative to that is what are his restraints, I'm hoping & am told he WILL be backed for who he is after.

Jenas is a very long shot but Keane's reps have spoken with us twice now so that's ongoing although I'm told 9 clubs are interested in him. DJ Campbell another target but again its slim, Bougherra from Glasgow Rangers & now Williams apparently targets & tbh I think they would be good additions.

Early days yet. 1st July lots of players become available, tie that in with Prem clubs announcing their 25 man squads & theres a chance we can do some good business.

Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:19 pm

£2.6 million, yeah that has to be a joke. You could buy the whole of Swansea Town for that money :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:21 pm

Caerphillyblue1927 wrote:

£2.6 million, yeah that has to be a joke. You could buy the whole of Swansea Town for that money :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

:lol: :ayatollah:

Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:22 pm

Stan-QPR wrote:
Tonteg Bluebird wrote:

You are 100% right again mate. What I will say though is that every Rangers fan trusts Warnock. He's no fool & will bring in players he feels will make us hard to beat. Only negative to that is what are his restraints, I'm hoping & am told he WILL be backed for who he is after.

Jenas is a very long shot but Keane's reps have spoken with us twice now so that's ongoing although I'm told 9 clubs are interested in him. DJ Campbell another target but again its slim, Bougherra from Glasgow Rangers & now Williams apparently targets & tbh I think they would be good additions.

Early days yet. 1st July lots of players become available, tie that in with Prem clubs announcing their 25 man squads & theres a chance we can do some good business.

I will politely accept your offer and tell you to get on the blower to Warnock right away. There is a left back who looks the real deal playing for Cardiff City. His name is Lee Naylor, how Cardiff got him in the first place is anyones guess as he was holding out for a Premiership club before joining them. I know Taarabt skinned him countless times last season, but that was a rare bad game and the rest of the season, Naylor has been outstanding, honest! :D

In all seriousness, I would 100% trust Warnock with the way he's transformed you, and I would like to think he has learnt his lesson from last time when he took Sheffield United down. As you say, he'll make you hard to beat and I can understand why he's going for English players that know the league. Afterall, some say it could be a gamble going for foreigners who have never played in England, with the language, different lifestyle etc.

However, getting back to my point, I don't think signing a foreigner from a top European league for a cheaper price is more of a gamble than signing a good Championship player who may not handle the step up. I rate Bougherra and I think he would be excellent in the Championship, but it's a big step up from SPL to the Premiership. He may handle the step up, but I still think you need to look at the players playing at a higher level in the top European leagues. I mean the top players in Spain will probably be out of your price range, but I think you should be looking at the top players in France, Germany, Holland, Belguim and Russia to name a few who will have many better defenders than Ashley Williams who you can sign for under 2.6 million.

As you say, it's still early days and you still have plenty of time to improve your team, so no need to panic just yet. I'm sure Pallodini will use some of his connections to bring in another Faurlin too.

Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:27 pm

Stan-QPR wrote:
Tonteg Bluebird wrote:

Stan, Keane would be a good buy for you, but i still think that Harry may have plans for him next season, he still may have a part to play in the Spurs line up.

It depends if he is happy to be on the bench as well, me thinks not. :D

Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:30 pm

Tonteg Bluebird wrote:I'm sure Pallodini will use some of his connections to bring in another Faurlin too.

You were doing absolutely brilliant until this point!! :lol:

Walking disaster mate & on countdown until the next calamitous monumental f**k up :roll: