Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Di Matteo Post

Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:55 pm

I've noticed a lot of posts have come on in support of Chris Hughton. Let me first state that whoever gets the job I will support 100% and both the apparent front runners are great candidates. But I don't want people to be disappointed if Roberto Di Matteo gets the job he is a quality manager too.

Roberto Di Matteo joined MK Dons after they were promoted to League One and then manager Paul Ince departed for Blackburn Rovers, he brought former Bluebird Eddie Newton with him as his number 2 :ayatollah: He led a newly promoted team, that lets face it most people hate (myself included), to the play-offs which they lost on penalties to eventual winners Scunthorpe. Not a bad first season in management, not unnoticed by WBA as they snapped him up to replace hugely popular Tony Mowbry, a tough act to follow, again bringing Eddie Newton with him too. He spent around 2.5 million compared to Newcastle's 3million that season, whereas Newcastle had far stronger squad.

WBA won automatic promotion playing attractive football (scoring 89 goals only Newcastle with 90 scored more) with a 12 point gap on third place. He was then sacked during his first season due to fear of relegation, this despite wins against: Chris Hughton's Newcastle, away to Everton, away too Arsenal and a 2-2 draw away too Manchester United. Remember this is a league where first time managers find it notoriously difficult.

Holloway and Warnock both relegated in their first seasons in the Prem. Paul Ince and Mick McCarthy were sacked in their first season. Even so Di Matteo's sacking was considered harsh as there were 13 games left.

Di Matteo is a young dynamic manager who plays proper football with a great record for a man who has only been managing for 2.5 seasons. If he is our next manager he is a massive improvement on Dave Jones and we should in no way be disappointed.
:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Re: Di Matteo Post

Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:15 pm

Good post RFMH, I certainly wouldn't mind him as the new gaffer :ayatollah:

Choosing between him and Hughton is really quite difficult to be honest !

Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:07 am

good post and i'v been thinking and saying exactly the same!!

toshack could of got newcastle promoted that season no disrespect to hughton...

but declinging di matteo would be a big mistake

Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:46 am

im leaning towards di matteo slightly , only for the fact that we could well play attractive football... This can work extremely well with pace.. If we can get bellamy back...

but either way id be happy with ch also...

just cant wait to actually see who gets the job, what staff they bring in if any, what players they ship out or ship in....

just over 60 days to go to season start....

Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:53 am

i have put 20 nuggets on CH but if RDM gets it i will support either in fact ANY manager :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:55 am

ccfc_cotta wrote:good post and i'v been thinking and saying exactly the same!!

Without disrespecting all these "anyone could have got Newcastle promoted" posts, you seem to forget there was a drinking culture at Newcastle - the dressingroom was a mess, there was infighting and too many individuals with big ego's!!

Mr hughton and his discipline and man to man skills got this team working as a unit.... He is a well respected coach and manager and turned Newcastle around very quickly! I think people are wrong when they keep saying my gran with Alzheimer's could have got newcastle promoted.

Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:11 am

Will support either but Hughton in please: Win percentage 55% in comparison to DM 48% and Newcastle had a far more solid defence than the leaky WBA defence. Good going forward but questions at the back.

Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:29 am

Had West Brom been relegated from the Prem the season before? (My memories a bit fuzzy). the point i'm making is, people are saying that Hughton had it easy but the same could be said about Di Matteo if he also inherited a "Prem" team.

Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:46 am

Merlin wrote:

Without disrespecting all these "anyone could have got Newcastle promoted" posts, you seem to forget there was a drinking culture at Newcastle - the dressingroom was a mess, there was infighting and too many individuals with big ego's!!

Mr hughton and his discipline and man to man skills got this team working as a unit.... He is a well respected coach and manager and turned Newcastle around very quickly! I think people are wrong when they keep saying my gran with Alzheimer's could have got newcastle promoted.

Fair play, you can't deny that! He did have a very good squad but it was in disarray! His man management was brilliant! I'll give CH and RDM my full support, both genuine, likeable blokes!

Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:37 am

Jimbo27 wrote:
Merlin wrote:

Fair play, you can't deny that! He did have a very good squad but it was in disarray! His man management was brilliant! I'll give CH and RDM my full support, both genuine, likeable blokes!

Same here, I would Back either of them :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:37 am

He lost the dressing room in WBA - DEFINITELY NO FROM ME

Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:20 am

I have no doubt Di Matteo will be a great manager. The only thing that concerns me is that he started brilliantly last season with WBA getting some amazing results but then seemed to lose his way and went on one of those losing runs we have become so accustomed to under Dave Jones.

I really don't want another manager who only has a Plan A and sticks to it rigidly even when it is plainly not working; we have done that already and got the T-shirt.

Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:32 am

Diiii maatteeeeoo :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:55 am

Merlin wrote:

Again, not true.

The big egos left. Owen, Duff, Martins etc......

None one wanted the players that were left. Many credit Nolan and Barton for getting the team spirit back.

Hughton was also piss poor in the transfer market.

Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:07 pm

Way i see it is that we are in a win/win situation. Both brilliant managers who know what it takes to go up automatically. Di Matteo manager with Hughton as his assistant? If Carlsberg did managements........

Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:08 pm

Good post. If anyone missed it, this is a balanced (and actual factual!!!) piece on Hughton v Di Matteo from WOL and worth a scan through:

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/footballna ... -28817332/

Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:11 pm

Everyone seems to think it's down to 2 candidates..Hughton and Di Matteo, but no one really knows, according to Annis they're doing more interviews tomorrow, maybe there's a gem in amongst them somewhere and we'll all be surprised. :o

By the way I've got a score on Hughton at 11/4.

Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:17 pm

It's full of holes.

Hughton was given a chance after Keegan left and his FAILED.

Hughton transfer's were shite - Pearch is the worst RB I have seen the in the Prem.

Ashley and the board were behind the big signings.

Carroll was no hidden gem. Everyone knew it was just a matter of time before he made an impact.

Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:02 pm

Di Matteo could bring in a whole new approach while his probable assistant Eddie Newton understands the Cardiff fans and their passion. In my opinion that is a win, win. :ayatollah:

Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:10 pm

if only hughton was still a assistant manager be cracking team di matteo and hughton :lol: :ayatollah:

Sun Jun 05, 2011 4:35 pm

The only worry is, is how many contacts has he and pull to bring in the players we need for the push.. To be fair on Dave Jones he brought in Bellamy when people were saying he would never come to the the championship! He also built a team that got to the play offs with loan players that he persuaded to join us instead of many other offers!!!
I do believe we were right in the sacking of DJ and I HOPE the new manager (whoever it might be) brings us what we all want and a crack at the prem!!

Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:53 pm

RFMH wrote:I've noticed a lot of posts have come on in support of Chris Hughton. Let me first state that whoever gets the job I will support 100% and both the apparent front runners are great candidates. But I don't want people to be disappointed if Roberto Di Matteo gets the job he is a quality manager too.

Roberto Di Matteo joined MK Dons after they were promoted to League One and then manager Paul Ince departed for Blackburn Rovers, he brought former Bluebird Eddie Newton with him as his number 2 :ayatollah: He led a newly promoted team, that lets face it most people hate (myself included), to the play-offs which they lost on penalties to eventual winners Scunthorpe. Not a bad first season in management, not unnoticed by WBA as they snapped him up to replace hugely popular Tony Mowbry, a tough act to follow, again bringing Eddie Newton with him too. He spent around 2.5 million compared to Newcastle's 3million that season, whereas Newcastle had far stronger squad.

WBA won automatic promotion playing attractive football (scoring 89 goals only Newcastle with 90 scored more) with a 12 point gap on third place. He was then sacked during his first season due to fear of relegation, this despite wins against: Chris Hughton's Newcastle, away to Everton, away too Arsenal and a 2-2 draw away too Manchester United. Remember this is a league where first time managers find it notoriously difficult.

Holloway and Warnock both relegated in their first seasons in the Prem. Paul Ince and Mick McCarthy were sacked in their first season. Even so Di Matteo's sacking was considered harsh as there were 13 games left.

Di Matteo is a young dynamic manager who plays proper football with a great record for a man who has only been managing for 2.5 seasons. If he is our next manager he is a massive improvement on Dave Jones and we should in no way be disappointed.
:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Good post. :ayatollah: do you mind if I reword it slightly and use it in my comparison on my blog? I'll note who its credited too. Tell me your real name and i'll put it up :D

Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:01 pm

Go for it

Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:54 pm

I don't think either manager would pull up any trees with us.

I like the link with Malky Mackay as he has signed good players and managed a team of youngsters tipped for relegation to what looked for a while a team destined for the Play-offs until Jordan Mutch left and they got some injuries.

Paul Tisdale has a "special" air about him. I think he'd do a cracking job at Cardiff and in my opinion he has EARNED THE RIGHT to be respected as a good manager ahead of Di Matteo who has got jobs off his name and Hughton through being in the right place for when Ashley couldn't be bothered to get a new manager in as it meant spending £

Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:24 pm

TheBBD wrote:I don't think either manager would pull up any trees with us.

I like the link with Malky Mackay as he has signed good players and managed a team of youngsters tipped for relegation to what looked for a while a team destined for the Play-offs until Jordan Mutch left and they got some injuries.

Paul Tisdale has a "special" air about him. I think he'd do a cracking job at Cardiff and in my opinion he has EARNED THE RIGHT to be respected as a good manager ahead of Di Matteo who has got jobs off his name and Hughton through being in the right place for when Ashley couldn't be bothered to get a new manager in as it meant spending £

Good points - something to think about before we crown CH or RDM

Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:27 pm

GrangeEndStar wrote:Good post. If anyone missed it, this is a balanced (and actual factual!!!) piece on Hughton v Di Matteo from WOL and worth a scan through:

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/footballna ... -28817332/

Bloody hell, it's hard to choose between them isn't it? Either offers cause for optimism :ayatollah:

Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:27 pm

Bottom line is that both CH and RDM took their clubs up into the Premier League. Not a decade ago, but the season before last. Quite frankly, we have got some team building to do first; then we can think about promotion. It might take a couple of years. But lets get some optimism, and fun, about the place again. :ayatollah: Either would be good for the City.

Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:02 pm

well said!!!!!!! ads soon as dj went in said to my butty rdm is the man for me and the reason for tha is exactly the reasons u said and also tha he refreshing, young, and without doubt got great contacts!

Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:37 am

Big Boss Man wrote:It's full of holes.

Hughton was given a chance after Keegan left and his FAILED.

Hughton transfer's were shite - Pearch is the worst RB I have seen the in the Prem.

Ashley and the board were behind the big signings.

Carroll was no hidden gem. Everyone knew it was just a matter of time before he made an impact.

I'm sorry mate but you are way off the mark. The season that they were relegated to the Championship and players like Owen, Martins and a few others left, there were still a lot of big personalities left in the Newcastle locker room, there was Smith, Barton, Carroll, Nolan, Gutierrez, Collocini, etc. I'm sure that bringing all of them together after such a negative stage in their career was no easy feat, the team spirit was terrible, the players didn't seem to care, there was bickering between them, basically morale was rock bottom. When Hughton was announced as the manager on a full time basis he turned everything upside down and brought much more positivity to the club on and off the field, you can ask the Newcastle fans how much they appreciated what he did for them while he was there. He got them promoted, yes, they had a good squad but the main thing was that they had a great manager who was able to get them promoted, after changing everything at the club, by making the players happier, being disciplined, making the team play as a unit, making the supporters proud of their club once again, there were a number of reasons why Newcastle grew on and off the field and the majority of it is down to Chris Hughton, I hear that Ashley was not the easiest person to work for. Hughton was the man who brought in some great signings for Newcastle when they got promoted back to the Premiership, they signed Tiote, Williamson, Ben Arfa and Routledge, the Newcastle fans absolutely love(d) these players, they have all been huge successes there, espeically Tiote, who has been amazing and should be at a much bigger club like Man Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal, etc. Yes, he signed one or two bad players like Perch and possibly Best (but before he got injured he was doing much better and finding the net regularly). The Newcastle fans love Hughton to death, they all say he is a great man manager, a great disciplinarian and gets the team playing for each other. A lot of the Toon supporters have placed him either 2nd behind Bobby Robson or 3rd behind Robson and Keegan as Newcastle's greatest ever manager. Surely if he can turn Newcastle Utd around with all their on the field problems, then he can do the same for us. I have 100% believe in him and I feel he will guide us to the Premiership and beyond.

Blooooooooooooooooobirds

The Future is Bright!!!

Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:19 am

Di Matteo for me and has been sonce Jones' sacking. Hughton just doesn't excite me for some reason. But it's quite interesting on the back page of the Echo today when they're talking about Lee Clark. If we get him, it will be like hiving a mini-me Dave Jones on board. He's taken Huddersfield to the play offs in the last 2 seasons and failed both times. Ring any bells?

Whoever it is, it should have been done by now and a new manager in place. We're falling behind in the race to sign new players. Let's hope this doesn't stop us from getting who we want in, not what's left